ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
DITTY BAG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/15/2005, 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nighthiker wrote:
My pack is a ditty bag.

ROFLMAO

Now that's pretty funny!

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 1/15/2005, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Abe wrote:
Let's refocus on ditty bags. Like Di I hardly take anything compared to you guys.

My ditty bag always has a toothbrush/toothpaste, compass, map(s), firestarter, knife, flashlight, pens, notebook and book(s), not much more.

But you are all so much more experienced than I; and I'm also rethinking things... This is a cool thread!

Yes, the ditty bag is meant to be something small for the individual to set up. As an example: I place my ditty bag in the main compartment, generally in the bottom, and things like my headlamp, compass, first aid kit is in the smaller pocket of my pack for easy access. My ditty bag was meant to be out of sight, out of mind, and provide a creature comfort should I need it. Generally, if I ever, I do not pull it out except to review the contents or add something.

This is really for the individual comfort level in what you set up and how comfortable you wish to be should you have an unexpected overnighter.

Notwithstanding, I've read some neat things on the thread and I might add a couple of more things to my ditty bag.

I really like your take on the ditty bag abe. I do the same thing with mine. Low profile, creature comforts (and by comforts I think I really mean survival items); all in the bottom of my bag. The rest of my gear (food, raingear, camera, binoculars, water filter etc..) go on top. I would prefer if on any given hike all the items in my ditty bag remain unused. Quite the opposite for most of my other gear.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 1/15/2005, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nighthiker wrote:
My pack is a ditty bag.
Yeah, it's about the same with me. And I've done numerous night hikes, too.

Doing solo Supers excursions in the summer, is usually about water...

Everything else is secondary; so whatever my ditty bag contains, having a drink of H2O (or Starbucks), in the a.m., and then confronting the milage of the route, the expected temps (the arridity is a big consideration), the altitude, gains/climbs (off-trail), the milage out and-back, and possible injuries (something always goes wrong...), kind of makes you relate to these environments and think about it. Plan ahead.

So you can take every conceivable aid, but it always comes down to a judgement call. My personal direction and back-up is to have the capability and proper fitness to let me go anywhere I want. So maintenance hikes, workouts, and proper conditioning allows us to cope with the jive that always happens. Primitive peoples lived in the canyons and mountains that we love, and they worked at it, everyday.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 1/15/2005, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well said JW.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/15/2005, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Geeze JW! That is way to wise! Ya gotta stop that!

I want to shine!
Abe

PostPosted: 1/15/2005, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Applause Good one JW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: