ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
North Face Beeline 900
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 12/21/2004, 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep, there's no insulation underneath. 3/4 pad wouldn't be a good idea

Kerouac
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 12/21/2004, 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:
inflatable Big Agnes pad acts as the insulation for the bottom of the bag

Correct Kent. I too don't like to be confined so I just purchased the insulated inflatable Big Agnes and put my regular sleeping bag on top. I got the regular rectangular size. I tell you the insulated pad is nice and it's also very compact and light when packing. Smile
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/21/2004, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is exactly how they work Kent. the pad slips into a sleeve on the bottom of the bag (which has no insulation there) so it sort of keeps the whole thing stiff unlike the traditional bag on top of a pad. Probably great for back sleepers but I don't know about side sleepers who like to flex their legs and change positions.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/21/2004, 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Some of the high-end bags (as far as I have seen at least from S.D.) have straps to clench a pad. They work okay, but I still slide down the pad a bit.

I wonder if REI (or anyone in the area) rents out B.A. bags? That would be a great way to test if it works for you.

Actually, just check with "Randy's Camping Rentals and Essentials Inc." first... I'll bet he has it

rofl
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/21/2004, 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You type slow around here and two replies slip in fast before you hit the send button. Mr. Green
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/21/2004, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

hey slippery sleepers, there is a North Face tent called the Airfloor that has a built-in mattress, and it covers the entire area.
But at over 17 pound, I reckon its a car camping only thing. Unless your name is Tom.. teehee
and yes, Tim I do have the Wisp, Im pleased with it so far- it has incredible loft.
Got it on the third day from the Leopard Very Happy

what i do
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/21/2004, 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mikeinFHAZ wrote:
hey slippery sleepers, there is a North Face tent called the Airfloor that has a built-in mattress, and it covers the entire area.
But at over 17 pound, I reckon its a car camping only thing. Unless your name is Tom.. teehee

Shades

Sounds a might dandy to me.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 12/21/2004, 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
What if you use 3/4 length pad? That would allow you to bend at the waist. I like the idea of the pad inside the bag. I'm thinking it would keep you warmer and make for less middle of the night adjustments.
That's what I've been doing for several trips now: three/quarter thermarest inside a long bag. Another advantage is that if the bottom of the tent/bag, etc is wet, you've got an additional layer under you.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/21/2004, 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I heard your pack comes with a spare tire and a jack!

what i do
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/21/2004, 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mikeinFHAZ wrote:

The thing comes with a 4x4 jeep too. If'n I like y'alls enough.

It's amazing what you can get in one of them 50th anniv packs.

Shades
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 12/21/2004, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
mikeinFHAZ wrote:
Uh, your truck's got a spare this time, right? :))

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/21/2004, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

JW63 wrote:
HikerInGilbert wrote:
mikeinFHAZ wrote:
Uh, your truck's got a spare this time, right? Smile)

I care not to relive that moment in time. Thanks for bringing it up though JW. It will bite you in the arse for sure.

Mr. Green
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/22/2004, 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

one of these days if we ever have little ones I'll have to carry their gear, or them, or both. The Kelty 50th would be a dang good choice. Afterall, it won Backpacker's editors choice or gear of the year award. Gotta love that!

what i do
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/22/2004, 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well I just recieved my Mountainsmith Vision from SnowLeopard via UPS. It came on day 3 that's including the day I ordered it. I am amazed at how soft and fluffy it is. I'm also amazed at how large it is, I knew I ordered the long but dang this thing is like a doublewide too. I can completly strech out inside of it, which is great because I typically sleep on my stomach with my hands up by my head. It has a bit of a complicated drawstring closer with two sepperate ones but I'm sure I'll figure it out. It also felt heavier than the 2# 3-5oz I've seen listed but when I put it on the scale in the stuff sack it was indeed and even 2#'s 3oz. The stuff sack seems like some type of nylon/almost plastic like feel but seems like it would have pretty good water resistancy. It stuffs to 8''X13'' but maybe smaller with a compression sack. I can't wait to field test it. Looks like the first time will be for the sindig out at the white tanks. Bring on the Snow! Ok maybe just some cold weather.

TIM
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/22/2004, 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you are requesting snow Tim I don't want you camping by me!

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: