ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Have you ever...?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you ever been in a situation on a hike where you feared for your safety, or someone elses in your group?
YES
88%
 88%  [ 31 ]
NO
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 35

Daryl

PostPosted: 1/13/2004, 11:01 am    Post subject: Have you ever...? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have you ever been in a situation on a hike where you feared for your safety, or someone elses in your group?

Examples:
You got “turned around” (we never get lost) for a few hours.
You had to spend the night, unplanned.
You, or someone in your group, got an injury that slowed you down or kept you from moving.
Caught in a storm in a bad place to be caught in a storm.
Ran out of water.
You, or someone in your group became ill.

PostPosted: 1/13/2004, 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes. Twice in the same month (during monsoon season) I got caught in bad storms.
Once was on the way down from humphries peak. I saw the storm coming in from the peak and knew I'd need to huff it down. It hit just as I got back into the trees. Lightening was MUCH too close for me.
A week later I was on an un-named, un-trailed mountain near Yarnel. There, the wet rock and poor visability due to the down pour was probably more dangerous then the lightening, but both were a factor. To compound the problem the person I was with was not much of a climber and would have had problems down climbing that on a perfect day.

Since then I keep better tabs on the weather and did some weather research on how to predict/spot a storm on the way.

PostPosted: 1/13/2004, 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yea, August '03 coming up from Dripping Spring on the GC Hermit Trail; was hit my huge, wind driven downpour. Rain blown so hard into my face it actually hurt. Found a slight alcove in the side wall to hide in that gave some slight protection; storm only lasted half an hour or so, but that was more than enough for me.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
IAHiker

PostPosted: 1/13/2004, 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes. Back in September my wife and I were hiking near Moab to Bowtie and Corona Arch. It was a little hot when we started and then it started to sprinkle. The light rain felt great to cool us off. We hiked up to below Bowtie arch (which is basically an overhang with a hole in it). At this time the rain got a little stronger, so we decided to hang out beneath Bowtie until it stopped. But wouldn't you know it, the rain started to pour heavily causing a waterfall to come through the hole in the overhang. We became a little freaked out, because we were stuck there, with a pool (that the waterfall formed) slowing creeping up. Luckily after about a half hour of standing up hugging each other to stay warm (our clothes were soaked), the rain let up enough for us to hike down.

This was my first time hiking in Southern Utah, and I read about slot canyon flooding before hiking, but now I know the same warning goes for hiking at other areas too. That experience ranks on my list for scariest moments while hiking, especially since my wife was five months pregnant and my stupidity could of cost me more than my own life. Actually, that experience ranks up there on my most exciting hikes also. It's not very often you get to stand next to a waterfall in Moab.

I have another scary story about a friend of mine hanging by his fingertips on a cliff, but I will add that later when I have more time.

-Mark
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 1/13/2004, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, two years ago coming up out of the canyon on Barnahard in a terrible thunderstorm with two of my daughters. That area is very exposed and I'm out there with my external frame and other metal items just asking for it. The nearest the lightening got was about an 1/8 of a mile, but that was enough to cause great alarm amongst us as we walked through the rain and mud with our cheap throw-away ponchos tearing on our packs and gear. Fortunately we had wrapped our sleeping bags in plastic garbage bags.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/13/2004, 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, I ran out of water in August in Garden Valley. A lesson learned the hard way and now I always carry MORE than what I think I'll need.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/13/2004, 1:19 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yup, read my post from last January. http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333&highlight=#333
Andy

PostPosted: 1/13/2004, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Judging from the percentages so far I guess i've been pretty lucky! (Knock on wood!)

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
azhiker96

PostPosted: 1/13/2004, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, my own on two occasions. The first was driving out from Roger's Trough TH after 18 hours of rain. That dirt road was slick and sloppy. The second time was when I ran short of water on the Superstition Ridgeline trail. I was very stressed on that one. After drinking 2 liters of fluids I was still a gallon low.
ck1

PostPosted: 1/13/2004, 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you ever...? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Considering I do about 95% of my hiking with Tony, these apply to him as well...

Daryl wrote:

Yep. A few times, perhaps not for "hours" but enough to cause concern

Daryl wrote:
You, or someone in your group, got an injury that slowed you down or kept you from moving.

Yep, as recently as the Ridgeline Epic. I'd never been injured like that before, and it was a learning experience

Daryl wrote:
Ran out of water.

GC blizzard of 96, ask Todd, he knows the story...crazy

Daryl wrote:
You, or someone in your group became ill.

Hypothermic? see above.

Daryl wrote:
You had to spend the night, unplanned..

Not yet...but it'll happen.

"The Journey is the Destination"
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, all of you who were on the WFW know that my answer to this question comes mostly out of the middle of the third or fourth pool that I had to swim through not knowing for sure if my limbs were actally swimming cause they were so cold! I was scared then... but will never regreat doing it and will do it again and again if I get the chance cause that was the hike that taught me I could do any hike if I really wanted to!

My other experience of actual fear on the trail was watching the bolt of lightning strike only a matter of a few hundred feet behind Sheri out at Horton Creek. That wasnpt a fear that lasted for any length of time as we were almost out when it happened but is scared the beegeebies outta me!

As of yet I have never been lost or had to stay out when I have not planned to or any of the other afore mentioned situations. I have been a very blessed hiker!

I want to shine!
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

More times than I care to mention.

I've had to call in a rescue unit once, and been on a rescue unit twice.

Hypothermia twice and once with someone else.

Lost...um...n-e-v-e-r....

Personally injured twice.

Others in my group injured - I don't remember how many times. Serious injury - 3 times.

Thrown by lightning once (struck about 7 ft away - knocked me down and left my ears ringing for a day or so)

A hiking buddy had heat stroke once.

Serious dehydration - a couple of times.

And those of you who have hiked with me know that I am generally very well prepared and I don't take unecessary risks. I've just been involved in my share of extreme situations over the years.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Lizard

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Have you ever...? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:

A number of times. I've written about these on HAZ so I won't repeat myself.

Quote:

In the Tehachapi mountains on the Pacific Crest Trail, I came down the wrong way on my ankle and twisted it around. I was carrying several gallons of water and the impact on my ankle HURT. I limped in to camp that night and talked with some of my fellow thruhikers about what I could do. My desire to complete my hike was great enough that in the end, I decided to press onwards. I started taking large amounts of ibuprofen to help with the pain. I also cadged an icepack off of some car campers at one point. I ended up hiking close to 90 miles on that ankle before I reached the next town stop. I got out to see a doctor and after a few days of sitting in a motel icing my ankle down I got back on the trail. I continued to take ibuprofen daily, and the ankle only bothered me sometimes. However, once I got off the trail and went back to a somewhat sedentary lifestyle, the ankle pain came back and I was hobbled for a few weeks.

Quote:

A few years ago I did a loop hike around the Kachina, Weatherford and Humphries trails. As I reached the junction where the Humphries trail took off towards the summit, clouds which had been threatening all day finally started to roll in and within ten minutes the fog was so thick I could see only a ten foot circle around me. I turned back, fearing lightning. I passed a ton of people on their way up while I was heading down, but I still believe I made the correct decision.

I was also chased by a storm off the ridgeline of the Sierra Nevada near Sonora Pass. We could see the storm coming from miles away so we hurried across the ridgeline towards the pass hoping to get down before the storm hit. This was somewhat sketchy as there were long snowfields, and a slip on this snow above timberline could be disasterous. In one of the books I read before hiking the PCT, the author had slipped on a snowfield at Sonora Pass and broken her leg, ending her thruhike. It was a difficult balance between the need for speed and for caution. When we reached the end of the ridgeline and started our descent towards Sonora Pass, the storm hit. We could see lightning hitting the ridgeline to the south. Abadoning caution, we reached the top of a snow field, put on our waterproof pants and glissaded at rocket speed down. By the time we reached treeline the rain was apocalyptic. But we made it safely to the cover of the trees and hunkered down to wait out the storm.
Wiz

PostPosted: 1/16/2004, 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
Yes, my own on two occasions. The first was driving out from Roger's Trough TH after 18 hours of rain. That dirt road was slick and sloppy. The second time was when I ran short of water on the Superstition Ridgeline trail. I was very stressed on that one. After drinking 2 liters of fluids I was still a gallon low.

GAH! I've done those exact same two things! Actually I was driving out from JF Trailhead. We were in a big van, and had to get a running start to get over the muddy hills, then slid out of control down the ruts on the other side. Sound familiar? Kind of exciting!
Also ran out of water on the Ridgeline when we couldn't find Siphon Draw. That REALLY sucked.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/22/2004, 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, too many times to count. Everything you can name I think except lost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: