ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Local camping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 10:58 pm    Post subject: Local camping Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, is there camping out near Apache or Roosevelt lakes? I'm impartial as to campgrounds or dispersed. We're looking to get away this (long) weekend and I'd like to get the kayak wet.

Looking for suggestions....

"The Journey is the Destination"
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Info from the TNF, http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/recreation/camping/camping.html
ck1

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I hadn't thought to check it out online, I have a file on Tonto...

That site isn't too impressive...could use a map indicating the location of the listed campsites....kinda found it "lacking"

mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, me too. But, it's a good starting point.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just North of Burnt Corral Campground is a small cove that has an access road to it and it would be a dispersed campground though the forest service was talking about closing vehicle access. Most places along the Apache Trail are closed to vehicle parking. So if you could find a place. A kayak to another location. Burnt Corral can be a nice place to camp during the week provided there are not many in the campground. It is used quite a bit by Winter visitors and some may run a generator most of the night.
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 10:27 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Speaking of Apache and Roosevelt lakes, those are pretty amazing. I took my 4 wheel drive up there on 87, ugh, that took me a lot longer that I had ever thought it was going to. By the time I made it clear out to Roosevelt, I didn't feel like taking the road back, so I took the paved road the whole way to Miami and back on 60. I'm not sure which way was actualy longer now. Ha.
chihiggs

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That place that Nighthiker is talking about is small and a pay spot ($4/day) but if you are taking your kayak you can cross Apache Lake there to a pennisula. You can see it from the area. I've camped on it before and not been bothered by people across the lake. I realize you didn't mention Sugaro, but just as a reference, I camped across from Bagley flat in a quiet little cove with my girlfriend on Labor Day weekend and didn't have to share the cove with anyone. If you are set on Apache or Roosevelt no big deal but if you are interested, pm me. Is your kayak big enough for two and gear or will you be camping and using your camp as a base for paddling? One other question, do you have a lifted vehicle or something with decent clearance?
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Local camping Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
I'd like to get the kayak wet.

What kind of Kayak? I have an inflatable one, single person, I got from LLBean. Only had it wet once, at Lake Pleasant, but had a ball!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
ck1

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

for my 30th Pat gave me a Perception Swifty.... Razz

I have a GREAT wife!

snowchickaz

PostPosted: 2/3/2003, 3:58 pm    Post subject: camping Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know that there is camping on the other side of the lake from where the main road is. I'm pretty sure it's an offical camp ground, but I could be mistaken due to the fact that we were hiking all day and just landed down and fell asleep in a sec though. Confused
ck1

PostPosted: 2/4/2003, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Higgs wrote:
Is your kayak big enough for two and gear or will you be camping and using your camp as a base for paddling? One other question, do you have a lifted vehicle or something with decent clearance?

Thanks for the feedback Higgs...It's a one person, so no touring/camping yet...butthanks regardless!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: