ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
New Proposal for 1/1 South Mtn Hike
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/31/2003, 12:43 pm    Post subject: New Proposal for 1/1 South Mtn Hike Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay. Here's the deal for tomorrow. It looks as though the original hike plan has dwindled in "EPIC" proportions. (thanks a lot Colin...) Wink

I suggest we cut this hike down to about a 7 mile loop (we can do the 15 later when most everyone can make it) from Pima trailhead out National trail through Hidden Valley and Fat Man's Pass. We can then loop back around to Mormon's trail and back to Pima.

This hike should be a leisurely total of ~5 hours depending on stops etc. This will allow for a later start time of like 9 a.m. (I'm sure party goers will appreciate that). I propose a meet time at Pima of 8:30 a.m.

I'm also adding that we can all meet afterwards for a late lunch thing along the same lines as the original hike. Aunt Chilada's?

What does everyone think of them apples??

Can I get a show of "hands"? Any other suggestions?

Think of it this way, this can now be a sweetheart, spouse, family, and animals hike. I kind of like that idea for a 1/1 hike.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 12/31/2003, 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm In!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/31/2003, 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay. So far I've seen a response from:

Me
Suzaz
Trishness
kurthzone (and daughter's)
dcornelius
SUN_HIKER
Sherileeaz
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/31/2003, 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm in but I am gonna whine about it! Twisted Evil

I want to shine!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/31/2003, 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

dcornelius wrote:
I'm in but I am gonna whine about it! Twisted Evil

sigh... so what else is new?
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 12/31/2003, 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know I'm crazy for suggesting this one but I'll give it shot Twisted Evil
the butt kickers should meet at 8am starting up at San Juan heading for Pima.

The" leasure" group start at noon and we all meet at Aunt Chilada's around 4-4:30pm

Any takers? Smile

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/31/2003, 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SUN_HIKER wrote:
I know I'm crazy for suggesting this one but I'll give it shot Twisted Evil
the butt kickers should meet at 8am starting up at San Juan heading for Pima.

The" leasure" group start at noon and we all meet at Aunt Chilada's around 4-4:30pm

Any takers? Smile

You know me better than that GB. I figured with this version of the 1/1 hike, you could coerce your hubby out onto the trail too. We all know of your alien status.

Yes?
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 12/31/2003, 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There's always the Marcos De Niza Ridgeline if you want something more butt-kicking than the National/Mormon. I should know within the next few hours whether I can do this tomorrow. If so, I'll lead the Ridgeline.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/31/2003, 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
There's always the Marcos De Niza Ridgeline if you want something more butt-kicking than the National/Mormon. I should know within the next few hours whether I can do this tomorrow. If so, I'll lead the Ridgeline.

Isn't there a place to dive down into Hidden Valley from up there? Maybe we can alter the original plan a tad I guess.
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 12/31/2003, 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What happened to us "in-between" people, the ones that realized 15.5 miles was too much but don't want to be starting at Noon either?

Sigh, whine, pout

Sheri
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 12/31/2003, 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm beginning JW was right TB Shocked
(afraid my hubby will wimp anyway - I know how you guy's are) It'l boil down to the females doing a "Man's" hike Beam me up
GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 12/31/2003, 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Alien Hunter wrote:
Isn't there a place to dive down into Hidden Valley from up there?

Yep. you can dive down into Hidden Valley in a number of places. I don't think I've ever taken the exact same route twice. It's one of those kind of hikes.
outside1

PostPosted: 12/31/2003, 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, I getting bit confused here, I am in what ever the hike.

I like Tom’s idea of a later start (9:00 am), but Mikes route would be fine.
I just need to know where and when people are getting together.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/31/2003, 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I say we stick to the original start time/place of Pima trailhead at 9 a.m.

We can discuss the hike details further then. Yes?
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 12/31/2003, 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here's a page with information and a map of the trails in the park:

http://www.ci.phoenix.az.us/PARKS/hiksogud.html

To get to the Pima Canyon Trailhead You take 48th Street south from Baseline about a mile or so, and turn right into the park. If you get to Guadalupe Road, you've gone too far. For you west valley folks, take I10 east to Baseline Road, exit and turn left (west). Next turn left onto 48th Street (2nd light, if I remember correctly, it's been awhile...). The road will curve around to the left then back to the right and head up a steep hill. At the top of the hill you'll see the golf course on your right. The road into the park is just beyond on the right and follows along the golf course for a short distance to the trailhead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: