ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Flat Iron

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
chihiggs

PostPosted: 2/1/2015, 9:20 am    Post subject: Flat Iron Reply to topic Reply with quote

Last Sunday morning I went up the Flat Iron. I headed out from the TH at about 6:15am. It was still pretty dark but the sky was clear and cool allowing some decent star gazing as I walked in the dark. Somewhere above the basin (3100) I got a little side tracked to the south. I ended up going up along that south draw right up against the wall. This was not a really well defined trail yet but it is the obvious start of a different route and in my opinion, it was a little less strenuous on the knees. There appears to be more "soil" along the south wall, possibly because it gets a little erosion protection and it is the natural collecting place for all the rock clasts washed off the walls in storms. What ever the reason, it was a knee friendlier approach with less scrambling. Still took me 2 hours and 20 plus minutes but I'm not training for the Olympics so I was happy.

The top of the Flat Iron was really windy, maybe 30 mph gusts--only a guess on the wind speed. I decided not top stay up long--had a sandwich then started back. I headed north past the draw and paid homage to the plaque for the family killed in a plane crash up there against Ship Rock Peak on Thanksgiving eve 2011. I did not go up to the actual site of the crash; out of respect, but it is viewable from the plague site.

The was one draw back to the hike; being first up the mountain meant I was the first coming down...lots of stepping off the trail to allow the uphill people the right-of-way on the trail. I was off the trail by 11:30 having another sandwich and adult beverage at the car. I am not exaggerating, I think I saw somewhere close to 50 - 60 people in some form of up or down on the mountain. Get there early to avoid the crowds.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 2/9/2015, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice time, despite the crowds. Getting there early was a good thing. Wink

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Larry98

PostPosted: 3/24/2015, 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am someone who cannot spend too much time in front of the mirror and for that reason I just love my flat iron that helps me to manage my hair so quick and get ready in seconds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: