ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Stalker
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 12/19/2003, 7:13 am    Post subject: The Stalker Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have been observing a small herd of deer for most of this year. This herd includes three does with fawns (yearlings). Today I was in position to observe them when I noted a coyote stalk the does and the fawns. I was able to observe the coyote approach. When the coyote got to within forty yards of the deer, I noted the coyote started to crawl including keeping its head close to the ground. The coyote was apx. 30 yards away when one of the does noted it approach. The doe faced and stared at the coyote at times stomping one of its rear feet at the ground the other does also did this followed by the fawns. At times the does (all three of them) and two of the fawns would urinate. This went on for apx 20 min. before the does closed the distance with the coyote to apx. 20 yards. The does stopmed the ground with their rear legs (alternating them) and were joined by two of the fawns who also repeated what the does where doing. The third fawn stayed back but was twitching its tail quite a bit. This went on for another 10 min. when the coyote crawled backwards apx. five yards and got up and backed away for apx. 10 yards before turning and walking off. The deer kept a look out for another 20 min. before resuming grazing.
Daryl

PostPosted: 12/19/2003, 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The coyotes were looking for easy prey. What you didn't see were the 4-5 other coyotes looking for a chance to grab one of the does while the one you saw kept their attention.

While training search dogs, we saw a coyote fake a limp to get our dogs to chase it. When one of the dogs did, we saw several other coyotes waiting in the direction the fake limper was luring the dog. Luckily we were able to call the dog of easily.

They are very smart animals.

PostPosted: 12/19/2003, 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey! I posted on this thread this morning - where did it go?

Oh well, the gist was: Great report, thanks! and how do you observe the herd so closely without spooking them?
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 12/19/2003, 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't think it HAZ gone anywhere, you posted it elsewhere... Flashing
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 12/19/2003, 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was fooling around with cut and paste. Maybe soon I can figure our how to submit photo's.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 12/19/2003, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
The coyotes were looking for easy prey. What you didn't see were the 4-5 other coyotes looking for a chance to grab one of the does while the one you saw kept their attention.

They are very smart animals.

Oh, this is encouraging to know! Sheesh, I went camping by myself and I kept feeling like someone was watching me and I KNEW I was alone. Finally, after several attempts of shining my head lamp in the wilderness, I saw a coyote. I can tell you, we both were shaking and frightened of each other.

That entire night all I could think about were, "Lions and Tigers and Bears...Oh, NO!" I finally talked myself out of being frightened because this "lone" coyote was scrawny! Mary
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 12/20/2003, 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

That entire night all I could think about were, "Lions and Tigers and Bears...Oh, NO!" I finally talked myself out of being frightened because this "lone" coyote was scrawny! Mary

I'll suggest a night hike during a new moon into Reavis from 109 south to fix this.

Takers?

GTG
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 12/20/2003, 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Alone or as a group? If we go as a group, let's make sure there are plenty of gnomes that come along, especially the very little, slow and limping gnomes. Is there anyone out there that matches this description? If so, I'm up for that trip. Mary
Wiz

PostPosted: 12/20/2003, 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Quote:

Embarassed
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/20/2003, 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wiz wrote:
Mike wrote:
Quote:

Embarassed

Ya dork. rofl

Cool
paintninaz

PostPosted: 12/20/2003, 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
Quote:

I'll suggest a night hike during a new moon into Reavis from 109 south to fix this.

Takers?

GTG

Ya gotta date (of the calendar variety, Chuckle ) in mind for this hike?

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Wiz

PostPosted: 12/20/2003, 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
Wiz wrote:
Mike wrote:
Quote:

Embarassed

Ya dork. rofl

Cool

Well, come on! The identical same thread in both places! I pop back and forth. I posted, then it was gone, and... and...

I'M SO CONFUSED!!! Crying or Very sad
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 12/20/2003, 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wiz wrote:

Don't worry about it Wiz, it's only the first signs of demetia, soon, you won't even remember enough to care! Mary
Wiz

PostPosted: 12/21/2003, 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shihiyea wrote:
Wiz wrote:

Don't worry about it Wiz, it's only the first signs of demetia, soon, you won't even remember enough to care! Mary

Care about what?
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 12/21/2003, 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Exactly! Merry Christmas! Mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: