ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Trash or treasure?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/15/2003, 10:28 pm    Post subject: Trash or treasure? Reply to topic Reply with quote

On the Six Shooter Canyon hike we found a rather nice jacket in the middle of the trail.

Sunday on the trail back from Reavis Ranch, about a half mile from the TH, we found a zip lock with about a quart of honey and a similar sized container of syrup in it. The bag was all by itself at the base of a large rock near a likely camp site. We debated whether it was left there to be picked up later, or simply forgotten and was "trash."

What is the "right" thing to do when finding something of some value, obviously or apparently not trash, in the back country? Should you haul it out, or leave it there for the owner to return for it?

Comments, thoughts?
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/16/2003, 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That would probably be a judgement call at the time. I haven't found a whole lot of "stuff" out on the trails except for obvious garbage.

I would say, if you find something of value like a nice jacket, and don't see anyone else on the trail, hang it at the trailhead. On the other hand, if it's something of lesser value, and still noone else on the trail, I'd pack it out as garbage if the ability presents itself.

The little bags of dog poopie are what really ticks me off. I'd love to track one of them folks down, light it on fire, and place it on their doorstep.

This question reminds me of the time when azhiker96 found a whole day pack out in the Supers. Makes ya wonder.
Daryl

PostPosted: 12/16/2003, 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I learned a little about the dog poopie thing. On an out and back hike some people will bag the poop and leave it on the trail side to pick up on the way out so they don't have to carry it around all day.

When I stash stuff, I put it somewhere where it won't be found on accident. Anything I find sitting out in the open I assume was left or lost.

PostPosted: 12/16/2003, 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tradesman have a code of ethics, well sort of anyway. If they find a tool on a jobsite, they make sure it's visible, but leave it where they found it.

I've left many a coat or jacket hanging on a bush or tree limb to pickup on the way out. I'd leave them in a less conspicuous place but ah, my memory ain't what it used to be.
evenstar

PostPosted: 12/16/2003, 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
I learned a little about the dog poopie thing. On an out and back hike some people will bag the poop and leave it on the trail side to pick up on the way out so they don't have to carry it around all day.

Back when Star, my first Basenji, was my running partner there was one spot about a mile into the run that was her spot to poop. I used to bag it and leave it to pickup on the way back. Just no way I can run while carrying a back of dog poop. Can't remember it NOT waiting for me on the return Wacko
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Lizard

PostPosted: 12/16/2003, 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If its something that could be a cache like water or food, I will leave it alone as I don't want to interfere w/ someone's survival. Ditto for finding a full pack or daypack (could have been left near the trail while someone is going to the bathroom).

But if its not one of those things, I will generally pick it up and pack it out. I don't do this with dog poop though, I don't want to encourage people to leave it sitting out so someone else will pick it up.
ck1

PostPosted: 12/16/2003, 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anytime I've seen something "unusual" on the trail I always think I'm on candid camera or something...who would leave a pack, or a jacket, just laying around...but...stranger things have happened. I would hang the item visibly nearby as mentioned by others.

I've been impressed with our group hikes in so far as most of the members pack out MORE than they pack in. AZHIKER can see microscopic garbage and he fills his pockets with the trash of others.

As a dog owner, I've practiced the "get it on the way out" routine, though I usually try to put the baggie somewhere off trail and out of sight of someone who doesn't know it's around.

What get's me is two items...cig butts and food scraps like apple cores and orange peels.

"The Journey is the Destination"
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 12/16/2003, 11:15 pm    Post subject: pack it out Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
What get's me is two items...cig butts and food scraps like apple cores and orange peels.

Ranger Lou calls an area along First Water, "Orange Peel Pass".

Quote:
I've been impressed with our group hikes in so far as most of the members pack out MORE than they pack in. AZHIKER can see microscopic garbage and he fills his pockets with the trash of others.

I'll pick up trash and gear, but not poop.
Ask azhiker96 about me having to haul his sleeping bag off 109 south out of Reavis back in February. Wink
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 12/16/2003, 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Ranger Lou calls an area along First Water, "Orange Peel Pass".

First time I ever hiked through there (on the Black Mesa Loop), I recall seeing orange peels at "Stingray Pass". People don't realize, those things last for eons!

I pick up at least one piece of trash on just about every hike I do.
Daryl

PostPosted: 12/17/2003, 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:

Ditto here.

People seem to think these items are okay to leave.

PostPosted: 12/17/2003, 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When my boys were little, I would carry an extra bag on hikes and pick up other peoples trash.....they asked me why I did this and my answer was simple and it's also my current signature. I told them, "because one day I want my grandchildren to see this place more beautiful than we are seeing it".
Wiz

PostPosted: 12/17/2003, 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Many times I have dropped my pack in order to explore some difficult area more easily. I hope no one sees it and packs it out thinking it's trash! There are lots of good reasons a pack might be lying there. Also, if someone turns up missing, it might be their pack laying there that tips the search team off. So I leave that sort of thing strictly alone.

I pack out obvious trash that I find. Poop I leave alone. I mean, it's not like the critters don't poop! Articles of clothing, wel-l-l... if it's something nice or expensive, like a jacket or something, I leave it alone because the owner might come back for it. If it's like a bandanna or a glove, I treat it as trash.
snick33

PostPosted: 12/17/2003, 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I leave clothing where I find it, after I try it on of course.
grouphiker

PostPosted: 12/25/2003, 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pick it up and put it at the trail head maybe?if it was a loop that is what I would do for sure, if not sure of which trail head the hiker may have started from I would drop it off at the rangers station.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/27/2003, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Biggest piece of trash I hauled out was the removable edge to a road grader blade, from about a mile north of First Water, probably left over from ranching days. Hauled a busted up lawn chair from Hideout Spring in the Galiero's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: