ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Ricky Appleseed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
snick33

PostPosted: 12/15/2003, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Ricky Appleseed Reply to topic Reply with quote

Since I was a kid, I've always thought about planting apple trees in the wilderness. Yes, I was inspired by Johnny Appleseed story. Moving forward, If a guy were to actually do this, is there a species of apple tree that does particularly well in the climatic conditions we have in Arizona, and would I being doing any little critters any harm?

Lastly, does anyone happen to know what type apple trees are growing at Reavis Ranch? they seem to do fairly well in the heat.

Susan says I've got to start thinking about a hobby for my retirement in a few years, and drinking beer in dingy bars or collecting "stuff" in the gargage isn't going to cut it.
evenstar

PostPosted: 12/15/2003, 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Take naps.....works for me! Sleeping
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/15/2003, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Take naps.....works for me! Sleeping

I'm losinggg losinggg... wait I'm winnnninggg winnnninggg.

Phew. That was another close one.

Sweat
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 12/15/2003, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Collect apples from Reavis and try to grow the seeds from the apples. Apple trees are also found in the Sierra Ancha's. When I first moved to Arizona in 1967 we visited the town/millsite of America on Slate Creek. My uncle gave me a "western apple' from one of the trees. It was a pomegranate.
Daryl

PostPosted: 12/16/2003, 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There are apples growing at the mouth of west fork too.

PostPosted: 12/16/2003, 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll started a dialog, (liberal talk) with a company that specializes in ancestral apple varieties, (http://www.treesofantiquity.com/index.html) . I'm told by them that a modern variety of apple tree would require too much pruning and messing about for my purposes. I'm doing a bit of research into what species might have been a popular apple that would have been planted in the 1880's - early 1900's in Arizona. Does anyone remember hearing their granny talk about any particular apple like an "Arizona Desert Rose", (just made that up) that they recall from their youth? Or, can anyone describe what a Reavis Ranch apple or any other apple that they have found while hiking tastes or looks like so I can better direct this source in locating a good variety for me to plant.
snick33

PostPosted: 12/17/2003, 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

From Neil Collins, (Trees of Antiquity)
Hi there,

That sounds like a great project. The best option would be to select apple trees on standard rootstock. The first year they should have some water, but they can be dry farmed. I would plant them as deep as I could and place heavy mulch to conserve moisture. They would not be a negative or invasive species. They will offer the birds and small mammals a refuge and treat. The trees would need to be protected from the deer. They would require little fertilization and in Arizona little spray. So they can produce great fruit without outside inputs. We have a small inventory of trees on standard rootstock. They are as follows; Ashmeads Kernel, Calville Blanc, Cox Orange Pippin, Gravenstein, Golden Russet, Pink Pearl, Spitzenberg. We also have several crab apples on standard which would be great, but without the refreshing taste. One great tasting crab is the Whitney Crab. Anyway, it would require some effort, but if your so inclined it would be a nice treat at the end of a long hike.

Good Luck!

OK, now for problem #1 How do I protect them from the deer?

I am going to purchase a few of these trees in the spring, If anyone is willing to plant a couple at Reavis Ranch and find a way to babysit them, I'll donate the trees. I'm planting some in the Mazatzal's at a elevation that I think is high enough to give them the proper "freeze time." Any other suggested locations? They need to be located at an elevation where they will get something like 100 - 200 hours of below 32 degrees temperature a year. And I would of course, expect a bronze plaque at the site with my name & likeness on it.
Daryl

PostPosted: 12/17/2003, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Crown King would be a great place for an apple tree. I bet they'd grow well in Aravipa also.

An apple tree on a peak would rock! Flatiron or picketpost? finding dirt would be tough. There are a few pine trees near the peak of the flatiron???

PostPosted: 12/19/2003, 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Snick, check out www.nativeseedsearch.org
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 12/20/2003, 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Snick, not to rain on your apple plantin' parade but,

Quote:
John Chapman (better known as "Johnny Appleseed")

Chapman, of course, is a legendary figure...though there's surprisingly little hard information about him. He did indeed roam the Pennsylvania/Ohio/Kentucky region selling (not giving away) apple seeds and seedlings. He was an outdoorsman and something of a rugged individualist: one account says that "He slept outdoors, ate berries and made his clothes from sacks. He made his drinking water in winter by melting snow with his feet." Not surprisingly, he died of pneumonia. Hugh's statue depicts a ragged, barefoot man with a walking staff and a Bible, true to the legend.

I've always been facinated with the thought of wandering around, feeding racoons, sleeping with bear families, wearing my cookware as a hat and planting apple trees all across our great land as my job. Ridgecrest Elementary School and The Wonderful World of Disney planted that seed in my outdoors oriented head.
Whatever happened to the CCC?

However cool it may seem, planting any trees, within public land, in a national forrest or a designated wilderness area without prior permission could result in fines and or prosecution for comitting federal crimes and or state crimes according to the U.S.D.A.
Introduction of a non native species is a big no no.
As much as I would like to carry in a dozen bare root, grafted saplings, I know that if I met Ranger Lou or Ranger John Donovan somewhere in the Superstitions with a bunch of trees to plant, they would definetely question my integrity as a hiker and as a partner in a public website.
Not to mention the ticket they would most certainly issue me. Not to mention the fact that I can just see it now, Hooli Pink Jeep, giving me a ration of trail poopie for bringing my own trees on a hike. Goat

The action that I propose is this:

Preserve what's there. If you study the landscape at Reavis Ranch, you can see how folks sculpted the land to fill the old trout pond with mountain runoff. Several days worth of work, by several people could help in diverting mountain runoff into the orchards. But this action could be deemed by the forrest service as illegal and possibly returned to it's natural state by volunteers. No offense to the B.S.A. but they would probably end up doing the "repairs to the land". In the past I have recommended carrying water out of the creek to the orchard but this would affect the downstream environment. A knowledge of the types of apples planted there and their lifespans would be helpful as well. A month's worth of work saving trees expected to live another five years would be counter productive.

Thanks,
GTG
Daryl

PostPosted: 12/20/2003, 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Party Pooper!

Good points though.

PostPosted: 12/20/2003, 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not planting at Reavis Ranch, nor had I given any thought to saving what's there.

I've already contacted U.S.D.A. and they are going to give me an opinion as to an appropriate species of tree to plant, (if any). I'm doing something nice, if they will let me, if they won't I'll understand. I have determined that the existing apples at Reavis Ranch are Pippin's. It's not that they were a great variety, it's what you could get for free from the Government in the Depression. I think I can come up with a better variety.

As my communication states above, I'm looking into a variety of apple that lends itself to "Dry Farming" technics, water is not a factor per say.

I was looking for a little encouragement, I'm kinda full up on critics for 2003. This is not my first rodeo, and I was not born in a mud Yurt ya know. Sometimes when I come up with an uplifting idea, I puzzled by those who seemingly throw mud in my path instead if planks. Golly Gee Whizz, were's Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland when you want to plant a few trees or put on a show these days?
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 12/20/2003, 11:54 pm    Post subject: let's just settle down and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
I was looking for a little encouragement, I'm kinda full up on critics for 2003. This is not my first rodeo, and I was not born in a mud Yurt ya know. Sometimes when I come up with an uplifting idea, I puzzled by those who seemingly throw mud in my path instead if planks. Golly Gee Whizz, were's Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland when you want to plant a few trees or put on a show these days?

Snick, my reply wasn't intended as an attempt to criticize or throw mud in your path. It was merely my ideas on the legality of planting trees in the wild. A plank as it were, to keep anyone from mistakingly commiting a crime punishable by federal law. I also had an uplifting idea about saving some trees in the process.

I used to have the information somewhere about the dates and types of apples planted at Reavis. The younger apple trees were planted after 1955 and I think the oldest section was planted in the early 1900's.

I found this link to describe some apple varieies that do well here in Arizona - http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/mg/fruit/planting.html#varieties
You also may want to contact Andrew Millison at AZPermaculture - http://www.azpermaculture.org They may be able to help you out with heirloom varieties that fare well here.

As far as keeping deer and such out of the young ones, you could probably use three pieces of rebar and some good chicken wire. I'm not sure if the deer would eat the limbs of the apple trees but it seems likely they would. Irrigation would most likely be necessary for the first year or so after planting. If you make this thing roll man, I'll get my shovel and help you plant some trees.

GTG
snick33

PostPosted: 12/21/2003, 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Didn't intend to sound mean spirited, not even close, it's just sometimes I come up with a project idea and instead of getting supportive comments, I seem to get quite a lot of negative reactions. I seek and expect reality but I've always been surprised by some reactions. They remind me of the movies made in the 30's & 40's where no matter what the lonely country boy thinks of, the mean parent always reminds him of all the horrible things that can happen, rather much like the mother from the movie "The Yearling."

That was my only point.
snick33

PostPosted: 12/21/2003, 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG,

Disregard me and what I've just written in its entirety, I must be having a cranky day. What you said was completely misinterpereted by me, sorry guy. I remind me of my kids when they were 9-10.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: