ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Bladder or bottle
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you traditional water bottle hiker or are you a camelback style water bladder hiker?
Bottles
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
Bladder
76%
 76%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 42

Daryl

PostPosted: 12/12/2003, 1:31 pm    Post subject: Bladder or bottle Reply to topic Reply with quote

Are you traditional water bottle hiker or are you a camelback style water bladder hiker?

PostPosted: 12/12/2003, 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I always use my Camelbak - sometimes a Platypus or Nalgene bottle as well.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 12/12/2003, 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Although I voted for bottles, I use both. On a multi-day hike I tend to distrust the bladder, cause they can leak or fail easier than my lexan nalgenes...
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 12/12/2003, 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I carry my bladder and a bottle (have had too many bladders break or leak on me). Mary
plummer150

PostPosted: 12/12/2003, 5:22 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll stick to my olde school water bottle for hikes.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 12/12/2003, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I take bottles. I line my pack with a huge garbage bag ane after it is packed I put the bottles on the outside of the bag. I use as many quart bottles as I need instead of one big one so if one should leak I still have water.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 12/12/2003, 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use the 1.5 liter Aquafina water bottles. I have 2 outer pockets on my pack I put them in so they don't take up any room in my pack. If its a long hike I'll take an extra one. Never seen the point in any other type of water bottle being nalgene or any other high quality bottle. Also don't really feel that I need a bladder.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
snick33

PostPosted: 12/12/2003, 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Water bottles to freeze in the summer, and bladders in the winter for ease of use. My claim to fame is carrying way too much water, I mean way too much. Two gallons for a 1/2 day hike in the summer, one gallon in the winter. A friend once told me I carried enough for shower.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/12/2003, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

MSR bladder user, and the world is a far better place for it!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/12/2003, 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I carry both. My Camelbak has a 70 oz bladder and on shorter hikes I'll take that plus a few extra bottles. On longer hikes (and in hotter temps) I take my 1.5 platypus in addition to the bladder and an extra bottle or two.

That might be overkill but I learned my lesson this summer in Garden Valley when I ran out of water.

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/13/2003, 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use my camel back bladder for an average hike, if it is qn epic or something real long I add extra bottles.... I like to have something with taste for the extra bottles.... I need a good eletrolyte replacement to use and have not yet found one I like... Well I tried one that Gabriele uses and I like that one because it has very little taste actually. Mostly it is not real sweet, that's what I hate about most of the ones I have tried.

Gabriele, hows about posting the name of your electrolyte replacement.... so I can go find some, or when will you be ordering again?

I want to shine!
snick33

PostPosted: 12/13/2003, 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Speaking of water, it makes me thristy when I hike. It's as if it drys out my mouth.
Dr. Thor Heyerdahl talked about this in one of his books. His solution was adding sea water to thier drinking water. Does this happen to others? or is it just me. Sports drinks don't seem to do this by the way.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/13/2003, 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Man. All this talk about bladders...

Got's to go PP now. Thanks a lot...
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/13/2003, 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

On a serious note... I bring a Platypus bottle along too on the arduous hikes. Picked up a "nifty" water filter adapter for them too.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 12/15/2003, 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had a blackburn that I bought on sale. It worked okay but I haven't replaced the bladder since the old one gave out in the canyon. Happily I had water bottles with me. That's my standard, recycled Ozarka or Aquafina one liter and 1.5 liter bottles. They weigh next to nothing empty and their cheap. Plus, I don't feel bad carving them up to make a dog water dish. Also, when empty they can be compressed to take up little room in the pack. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: