ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Search for Joe Domin GPSJoe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(4) (5) (5)
User
beckett
azhiker96
tough_boots
Randal Schulhauser
User
Suz
tibber
desertgirl
Trishness
oliverr99
User
GTG
Tom Treks
Hikngrl
cabel
Thoreau
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
GTG
PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 6:11 am    Post subject: Search for Joe Domin GPSJoe Reply with quote

Anyone want to help look for GPSJoe this coming Saturday and Sunday?
We'll plan on car camping in the area.

GTG

oliverr99

PostPosted: 11/21/2010, 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think he would rather you guys not continue in those kind of conditions. I know how you feel, I couldn't even help out this weekend with this dang cold.
sbkelley

PostPosted: 11/21/2010, 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Went up yesterday, reached the 25/201 split about 10:30. I saw that a block may be in place - as the chopper and two MCSO vehicles were on 201 just past the 25 junction. So i headed down FR 25 aiming for the Mormon Grove area. Went past a scout camp and finally got to the 25/25A split. 25 was blocked by a large group of vehicles, and 25A appeared open. There were 3 vehciles there, one had a flat tire. Didn't see any of the AZH vehicles here, so figured I'd try my luck at 201 again. Right as I approached the MSCO vehicles on the Mt. Peeley Road, as expected, the officers flashed their lights, came out of their vehicles and turned me around. Next tried the Little Saddle Mtn trailhead down the Sycamore Creek road, no vehicles there. I wanted to start heading up 25A at that point, so I called tanya to let her know: she was adamently opposed to me continuing up FR25A towards Thicket Spring by myself. So I came home - disappointed I could not help more. Kudos to everyone that got out there and helped out. Hopefully someone finds him soon - this is just a sad situation.
pyanover

PostPosted: 11/21/2010, 12:31 pm    Post subject: Has anyone checked Joe's computer for his latest GPS file Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hiked with Joe a few times and co-led a hike with him once and like all the rest of you have a deep admiration and affection for Joe. One thought I had and I haven't seen it anywhere in the posts is if someone could gain access to his computer and check the Topo software he uses to map out routes. I would search for the latest topo map file he used. I know if I go off-trail, I map out my route with GPS points before I go. It may give the searches a starting point. I don't know what software he used--I have a Garmin, but I think he had a Magellan and we had to exchange an export file of waypoints for the one hike we led together.

Good luck to all you searchers out there.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/21/2010, 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

They did that. Maybe they were talking about it on HAZ, not on here, but they did do that.
hiking2

PostPosted: 11/22/2010, 4:47 am    Post subject: SPOT and other emergency apparatus Reply to topic Reply with quote

For those who have not yet committed to a SPOT or any other similar device I thought I would share the following: Much like our missing comrade I do most of my hiking solo; and a good deal within the canyons of the Supes and elsewhere. When looking for a tracking device I did some research and decided upon a different solution. SPOT tracking seemed to be a perfect solution, except that there was the annual subscription fee and I found many remote locations where it did not perform as desired due to the inaccessibility of signal. I opted instead for a Kannad 406 Personal Locator Beacon. The PLB works in much the same manner as the Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) I had used with my single engine Piper Arrow. It is designed to work on both the 406.28 and 121.5 MHz frequencies, transmitting a programmed distress signal for at least 24 hours (more like 4Cool. These are frequencies monitored by the USAF and more likely to be received (purportedly within 20 minutes) and relayed to the appropriate SAR and rescue agencies. Along with the distress signal message is an encoded GPS location of the PLB. The unit has a long antenna which can be extended when activated. There is no "tracking" per se as with the SPOT but if I am in an emergency situation I figure the only coordinate that anyone really needs is the one where I am located. The Kannad and similar PLBs are considerably more expensive initially (battery alone is about $125 for replacement every 5 years) but there is no subscription fee. The unit must be registered and licensed with the NOAA and there are pretty hefty fines/imprisonment for misuse. It is to be used ONLY for life/death situations, for the obvious reason that those who become involved in rescue upon activation involve military and a lot of other people.
I don't think that those with whom I leave my intended route and return time are really interesting in having their work day interrupted by watching my progress on a hike by computer (nor constantly reminded of the "envy" factor), so "tracking" is only a needle in their sides. All-in-all, I figured I had made a better choice only because "at that moment" when needed, I would like to know that I had done everything and anything possible to aid in my own rescue. Of course, none of us ever wants to be the subject of a search, but it is always a reality.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/22/2010, 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have heard of these, and I know someone who had to use one in a very remote area in Alaska. She held off using it for as long as possible. (See What I am curious about is: how heavy and bulky is it?
hiking2

PostPosted: 11/22/2010, 6:01 am    Post subject: kannad 406 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes it is used worldwide (Category I and II). It's waterproof, floats and comes with a compact belt holster. The manual doesn't tell me what it weighs with battery but I do know it is heavier than the SPOT. My guess is approximately 10 ozs., It is about 1.2 inches thick and 5 inch oval shape. I got it from EDMO distributors (www.edmo.com) or you can check it out at www.kannad.com. They probably have more info.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 11/22/2010, 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is the one I'm looking at currently. It has the tracking feature if you want it, but is a true Personal Locator Beacon operating on 406 Megahertz (MHz) and 121.5 MHz. It weighs something like 8 oz.

hiking2

PostPosted: 11/22/2010, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, I've seen those as well. Be certain to get the one made for land use because there is a marine version as well. If I recall correctly, the battery life of the Kannad was somewhat longer and since they replacement cost is in excess of $100, I felt it was a better buy. Again, if I am not mistaken, the Kannad is made in Australia and the company had much more extensive experience with the product line. I could be mistaken about that. Whatever you choose, that 8oz of extra weight may someday be worth more than toting an extra 1/2 pt of water.

Suggest if like me you do a lot of canyon hiking you compare specs on range, battery life, etc.,. I don't know of too many people who fall up a canyon wall into bright sunlight. You want something with maximum antenna surface because all of these units by law can have a maximum output of about 5W.
thebrayer

PostPosted: 11/22/2010, 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm Brayer and I"m new to this forum and have been a member over on HAZ for a few years. I was on the first search last Tuesday at the Peeley trail head but got there late and had to leave the trailhead to make room for the horse trailers. I went out on Friday and hiked from the Morman Grove trailhead and hiked up to Saddleback mt. I went up 25 A today with my atv then hiked the 86trail to the 260 trail and went up that hill to the THicket trail and scoped the Southeast side of Sheep MT for a half hour and tried to get in closer but it's just to heavily covered with brush. I hiked on up the Thicket trail to where it intersected with the 86 trail and hiked back down to the 25 A road. The rain has wiped out all tracks on the trails I was on. I know that one three man squad from TRSAR went part way down the THicket trail Saturday and were called back because of weather. Maybe someone should make notes of areas covered. But you could easily miss someone ten feet off any of these trails. Is anyone planing of going out over the holiday weekend?
beckett

PostPosted: 11/22/2010, 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would like to go out over the holiday weekend. Anyone else?

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
randy883

PostPosted: 11/22/2010, 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm thinking I might go up Saturday & Sunday and camp in the area.
tibber

PostPosted: 11/22/2010, 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am heading up Saturday morning to the Peeley TH (at least that's what's on the agenda so far). I have one or -two riders already (besides myself) but I have room for 5 all together.

Randy, let us know your final plans for the weekend and maybe we can meet up with you before we head back to Phx.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/23/2010, 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

just a heads up there looks to another potential storm moving in.
randy883

PostPosted: 11/23/2010, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

tibber wrote:
I am heading up Saturday morning to the Peeley TH (at least that's what's on the agenda so far). I have one or -two riders already (besides myself) but I have room for 5 all together.

Randy, let us know your final plans for the weekend and maybe we can meet up with you before we head back to Phx.

Angela, it looks like there will be some weather moving into the area, plus a lot of people will be up there looking, so I'll stay down here and not get in the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: