ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Search for Joe Domin GPSJoe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(4) (5) (5)
User
beckett
azhiker96
tough_boots
Randal Schulhauser
User
Suz
tibber
desertgirl
Trishness
oliverr99
User
GTG
Tom Treks
Hikngrl
cabel
Thoreau
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
GTG
PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 6:11 am    Post subject: Search for Joe Domin GPSJoe Reply with quote

Anyone want to help look for GPSJoe this coming Saturday and Sunday?
We'll plan on car camping in the area.

GTG

Thoreau

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In case of poor weather conditions, is that #8 spot still reliably accessible to passenger cars?

Edit: also, Do we have any folks confirmed as being able to assist in the shuttling aspect? I'd all but call the actual trailhead area off limits to volunteer vehicles to keep it clear for SAR, so if we can guarantee that folks showing up by car can park by the highway (or that #8 will be definitely accessible) and have a ride to wherever they need to get to to hike, that would help a lot.

I know some people are holding off on confirming just because they don't have anything but passenger cars to get there.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I posted the below over on HAZ and I believe they have a good idea going there with the board, command center etc.

I have a truck that could be used to shuttle people with lots of room in the back for many.

Quote:

cabel wrote:
I am willing to run the command post if everyone wants. If someone wants to do this it is great.

Sounds good to me, it's been suggested over on AZH as well.

Zeric wrote:
According to a SAR person I spoke with yesterday, the visibility is about 10' in the search area. Anyone planning on going absolutely must have a GPS and know how to use it as a map and compass is insufficient. This is a high risk area for injuries even for experienced hikers and the last thing needed is secondary issues. Setting up a command center coordinating efforts is important for the reasons Thoreau suggested. In addition to a big board, a laptop (with a small inverter) where GPS track logs can be uploaded and downloaded would be a good idea.

Great idea, we should probably flag down all vehicles and ask where they are headed and reroute as necessary.
I have a netbook with great battery power but no usefull mapping software. If someone has the software, I could help out with that aspect.

GTG

wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Linda, I am able to go up on Sat, I'll PM you my info and try your cell and leave a message so we can coordinate a ride.

I've just dropped off my GPS and two radio's and batteries with Tom to try to load the track on.

Tom mentioned we'd probably need shuttles to the TH, I can be a shuttle driver and can work with whoever the communication person(s) are to help keep track of ya'll and any info you have. I'm planning on meeting you all at the turnoff site mentioned at 7am.
I'll do whatever is needed without hindering anyone's efforts, including our own.

Not sure I'll be able to stay till Sun, but if I can I'm riding with Linda who can only be there Sat. If I bring my camp gear for the nite might I be able to catch a ride home with someone?

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Suz

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, Michelle....awesome. I think the group has been anxiously waiting for someone to volunteer for that job on Saturday.

I will be there Sunday and will help with shuttles and your ride back. FYI---I do not have a radio.

I will be waiting for the Saturday folks to make a post here when they get home to verify that the plan for Sunday is still the same or to communicate changes.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have offered over on HAZ to drive shuttle in Todd's truck. I can also hike if needed.

I want to shine!
GTG

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I thought that I might help cabel at the designated stop off point as well. I have also offered up my netbook to use to download and upload GPS tracks etc. I just need map software to install and any drivers needed for GPS units.

GTG
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have given Tom everything that came with the GPS, GPS to PC cable, and the software disk (i think that is to download the drivers?) Geez what did I just say there, I think! Sometimes I scare myself !!! eek

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Thoreau

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Alrighty folks, heading home from work to get started packing for tomorrow. We'll be getting out there as early as we can to try and get things set up as best as possible.

*fingers crossed*

Cabel and I will be monitoring GMRS channel 15 while out there (no privacy code) as we get things started.
GTG

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thoreau wrote:
Alrighty folks, heading home from work to get started packing for tomorrow. We'll be getting out there as early as we can to try and get things set up as best as possible.

*fingers crossed*

Cabel and I will be monitoring GMRS channel 15 while out there (no privacy code) as we get things started.

Are you guys going to plan to set up at the turnoff?
Tom Treks wrote:
Guess it depends on when you can make it out there. I was thinking around daybreak when it's light enough to safely drive that road.

How about meeting at 7:00 at the gravel/dirt turnoff at 1.2 miles in from 87? That might be a good spot to use as a shuttle spot if there isn't anything more usable further in.

Or would you guys rather set up at the #8 spot for camping on the map?

GTG
GTG
Thoreau

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

At least initially we'll try to set up there. But, if the road back to #8 is good enough for cars to make it through, then I think it might make sense to move to that spot and toss up some signs at the highway to point folks back to that location.

Trying to also factor in the potential weather here too. If the road is marginal tomorrow for cars, then it would turn unsafe after rain (if that does end up heading our way.) I know that I'm certainly open to either spot (or others further in) as long as they work for as many folks as possible though =)
oliverr99

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I tossed this around whether to go or not, but Tracy (and talking to Angela) made a good point on HAZ, the more eyes the better. I will try and go on Sunday. I am feeling under the weather tonight, so if I feel better, and the weather holds up, I will be there Sunday. Are you all meeting in the same spot at the same time as Saturday?
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anne,

I PM'd you......

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For the weekend crew:

BE SAFE!!! Suz and I are heading out early Sunday AM unless we get instructions otherwise. If you can post, text or email please keep us updated.

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks trish, sent one back at you!
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

was at Peeley today and yes it was nippy. When I left looked like clouds may roll in.

about 5 hikers combed the ridgeline and several made it to Sheep Mtn. Nothing...
All they found was a helmet that belonged to a SAR person. They gave me some pointers on a couple of areas that needed to be concentrated on.

I plan on being at the SAR base around 7am.
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: