ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Search for Joe Domin GPSJoe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(4) (5) (5)
User
beckett
azhiker96
tough_boots
Randal Schulhauser
User
Suz
tibber
desertgirl
Trishness
oliverr99
User
GTG
Tom Treks
Hikngrl
cabel
Thoreau
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
GTG
PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 6:11 am    Post subject: Search for Joe Domin GPSJoe Reply with quote

Anyone want to help look for GPSJoe this coming Saturday and Sunday?
We'll plan on car camping in the area.

GTG

Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hear you Trish, it's upsetting that it is almost as if they would rather you stay home. I'm guessing it does have a lot to do with past experience of city folk getting lost on a trail and there family & friends trying to find them. I would like to think we have a bit of a different group with a large amount of experience here that could be of value.

I don't understand the comments AT ALL about leaving the person alone and going back to contact them first. I could understand if a serious injury has occurred not moving the person, but not abandoning them all together.

I wish I were back in AZ to help out here, I keep checking some good news. Good luck to all who go this weekend!

Give us a like on Facebook too please!
http://www.facebook.com/jdombstravels
Thoreau

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In any typical S&R operation, I'd agree with the 'questionable ability' issue of volunteers... only thing is, this isn't a group of random folks who saw this on the 6 o clock news and decided to jump on in. This is a community of experienced hikers who know the outdoors, how to keep safe, and some who might even know the area better than any person in that SAR team might. I'd like to think that we're MUCH more of a resource than a hinderance.

I would agree though, everyone MUST be very careful. Not only for individual safety, but watching out for signs. Snapped twigs/branches, footprints, and the (likely) numerous other signs that the SAR guys know to look for that I'm pretty sure I don't =( If in doubt, mark an area and report the coordinates to the SAR guys and let them approach it instead.

Mr. Bremson's posts on AZS point out one big thing that'll need to be adhered to for everyone's sanity... parking. If there's anyone out there with the will, and a vehicle that can handle it, it really would be VERY good to have someone (or a few people) dedicated to shuttling from a main parking area to the trailhead area. Just goes to show that boots on the ground in the field aren't the only things needed to keep this all running smoothly.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We must make sure that we do not hinder the official search for Joe.
We will need a central place as described earlier. On HAZ there has been discussions of such a spot and it is described here
Quote:
There is room for at least 2 dozen cars on the right side of FR 201 just after it leaves FR 627. >>> View Map <<<
The Slate Creek Divide is marked on the side of the Beeline SR 87. The south side is marked by the road to the top of Mount Ord, and the north side is marked by FR 627 labeled "Sycamore Creek." FR 201 to the Peeley TH branches off of 627 less than a mile from the highway.

There is also a map that has been drawn up with possible campsites listed. Number 8 seems the best bet for our group. I have posted it here.

We will need 1 or 2 people to run shuttle vehicles from camp to the trailhead so we do not end up with a traffice jam there. The final stretch of road to the TH is very narrow and has room for one way traffic only.

GTG

Suz

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Todd will you step up to be "our" coordinator? or shall we have someone that is not planning to hike do that job???

Let me know what time you are planning to leave camp on Sunday so that Trish and I may plan accordingly. We will need 2 hours per mapquest and are willing to leave at whatever time that requires. We will try to bring the Sunday folks in one vehicle. Let us know if you need anything else.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here is an important posting from Mountain Rescue:

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)
Nov 18 2010 9:12 pm
“Hike AZ folks,
My name is David Bremson of Maricopa County Sheriff's Office Mountain Rescue/ Central Arizona Mountain Rescue Association. We are the primary team involved in the search for Joe (with outstanding assistance from Gila County/TRSAR).
It seems as though many of you would like to venture in to the area to search for Joe. Although we can not restrict you from doing so, please be aware of the following issues:
-As untrained searchers, it is likely that you could destroy any evidence of his presence by being in the area.
-The area is very challenging, do not go somewhere that is hazardous. We don't want anyone to get injured as this will delay the on-going search.
-If you do decide to search for him and you find him, please do not approach him or touch him or his equipment in any way. This will inhibit our ability to conduct an investigation in to the incident.
-If you do find him, contact the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office immediately and mark the location with your gps. Return to the trailhead and wait for a responding Deputy.
-I recommend that you wait until after the weekend as we will have many resources in the area and need access to the trailhead, which is very small and has limited parking. We also may need it to land our helicopter. If your vehicle is in the parking lot, we will not be able to use it.
It is great to see how close knit this community is and how you want to support a fellow hiker and his family. This would be a better place if everyone cared as much.
David Bremson
Mountain Rescue”
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
azhiker96

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think part of Mr. Bremson's post was misunderstood. Certainly if we find Joe and he's breathing we should contact help and stay with him and administer aid. If it's obvious that Joe's left us to follow other trails, his mortal remains should be left untouched so that MCSO can determine why/how he left.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It doesn't necessarily sound as if they want a dedicated person to stay back (although for a shuttle it sounds like one may need too), but just to have 1 person (not a group) visit the command center for some guidance before beginning the search.

Give us a like on Facebook too please!
http://www.facebook.com/jdombstravels
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Please read my post reg. Maricopa County Sheriff Dept- Mountain Rescue:

“Hike AZ folks,
My name is David Bremson of Maricopa County Sheriff's Office Mountain Rescue/ Central Arizona Mountain Rescue Association. We are the primary team involved in the search for Joe (with outstanding assistance from Gila County/TRSAR).
It seems as though many of you would like to venture in to the area to search for Joe. Although we can not restrict you from doing so, please be aware of the following issues:
-As untrained searchers, it is likely that you could destroy any evidence of his presence by being in the area.
-The area is very challenging, do not go somewhere that is hazardous. We don't want anyone to get injured as this will delay the on-going search.
-If you do decide to search for him and you find him, please do not approach him or touch him or his equipment in any way. This will inhibit our ability to conduct an investigation in to the incident.
-If you do find him, contact the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office immediately and mark the location with your gps. Return to the trailhead and wait for a responding Deputy.
-I recommend that you wait until after the weekend as we will have many resources in the area and need access to the trailhead, which is very small and has limited parking. We also may need it to land our helicopter. If your vehicle is in the parking lot, we will not be able to use it.
It is great to see how close knit this community is and how you want to support a fellow hiker and his family. This would be a better place if everyone cared as much.
David Bremson
Mountain Rescue”
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
azhiker96

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've changed to Saturday due to the rain predicted for Sunday. That road gets very sloppy-treacherous in places when it's wet. I was with Ambica and Shawn when we had to get towed. It was tough to walk on some spots.

I do like the idea of camping in spot 8 and then using a shuttle to get to/from the TH. That will also limit the problems with vehicles if it does rain.
Thoreau

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

With the number of people planning to show up, just between this site and Arizona Hikers, I think we need to establish a command post of some sort right on highway 87. There's plenty of space there for parking, coordinating efforts, etc. and is a spot everyone will HAVE to pass to get into the area anyway.

Centarlized communications, check-in/check-out, weather monitoring, shuttling, coordinating where teams go out to, and even rescue for volunteers can be handled MUCH better if we keep a small command post running. It can also help to keep traffic down on the road which is going to need to be kept clear for MCSO SAR operations as much as possible. It wouldn't take much to toss up a big board with a map on it and start tracking what's happening. Official SAR wants us to be as coordinated as possible, and I think that's a great idea.

I'm not much of one for directing operations, but I'm a radio operator, have some idea what I'm doing, and can help out a lot at the base.

Cabel might make a good candidate for running the show there as he has done SAR before and knows the area quite well.

The LAST thing we want is to have people wandering all over, no coordination, duplication of efforts, having our own folks getting lost/injured, etc.
Thoreau

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

With the number of people planning to show up, just between this site and HikeArizona, I think we need to establish a command post of some sort right on highway 87. There's plenty of space there for parking, coordinating efforts, etc. and is a spot everyone will HAVE to pass to get into the area anyway.

Centralized communications, check-in/check-out, weather monitoring, shuttling, coordinating where teams go out to, and even rescue for volunteers can be handled MUCH better if we keep a small command post running. It can also help to keep traffic down on the road which is going to need to be kept clear for MCSO SAR operations as much as possible. It wouldn't take much to toss up a big board with a map on it and start tracking what's happening. Official SAR wants us to be as coordinated as possible, and I think that's a great idea.

I'm not much of one for directing operations, but I'm a radio operator, have some idea what I'm doing, and can help out a lot at the base.

Cabel might make a good candidate for running the show there as he has done SAR before and knows the area quite well.

The LAST thing we want is to have people wandering all over, no coordination, duplication of efforts, having our own folks getting lost/injured, etc.
Thoreau

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Also, for anyone planning to be out in the field on the search, a good baseline of supplies to have with EACH PERSON might look like:

6+ liters of water/gatorade/electrolyte drinks
First aid kit
GPS
Flashlight
Rope/paracord
Multitool
Trekking poles
GMRS radio (HAM if you have it)
Binoculars
Food
Emergency shelter/space blanket
Detailed maps
Compass
Firestarters
lightweight jacket (weather is looking a bit iffy)
SPOT satellite transmitter
Spare batteries
Good comfortable boots
Sunscreen
tough_boots

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So it sounds like Saturday 7am at spot 8. Agreed?
azhiker96

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've changed to Saturday due to the rain predicted for Sunday. That road gets very sloppy-treacherous in places when it's wet. I was with Ambica and Shawn when we had to get towed. It was tough to walk on some spots.

I do like the idea of camping in spot 8 and then using a shuttle to get to/from the TH. That will also limit the problems with vehicles if it does rain.
tough_boots

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm changing to only Saturday, too... if it rains Saturday night its going to be a mess up there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: