ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Nov. 20-21 Back pack! Let's call it a GHOTM!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(2)
User
Hikngrl
Tom Treks
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/28/2010, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Nov. 20-21 Back pack! Let's call it a GHOTM!!!!! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looking to go back packing and intend to take Lucy. Gotta teach this dog how to live the good life don't cha know! Not quite sure where we will go yet. Thinking Haunted Canyon or Reavis.... Gonna run into cold where ever we go that time of year but haven't been out in so long and really wanna go. Any one interested in joining us? If so let us know and we will start putting details together!
OK, It's official! We are hiking into Haunted Canyon back to Tony Cabin for a one nighter. Gonna meet at the TH at 0900 does that sound ok? Or do we wanna meet earlier. I am thinking 0900 so us west siders don't have to get up at 0300 to be there.

Also do we want to meet some where closer to town and all go to the TH together?

Every one is on their own for meals and snacks except for our parting meal depending on what time we hike out be it lunch or dinner. We should find a good Mexican food restraunt to eat at. Any suggestions?

Let's talk about this and as we decide on things I will update this post!

I want to shine!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 10/28/2010, 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I vote for Haunted Canyon! Ok

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 10/29/2010, 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK! Let's do Haunted Canyon then! There that is settled! Ok give us some time and we will put the details together. TH time and such....Where to stop for lunch/dinner on the way home.... you know, the important stuff!

I want to shine!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 10/29/2010, 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll do Haunted Canyon with y'all but the last time I did it the trail was in bad shape. I think that was in Feb 2009...trees down everywhere and lots of overgrowth. And I had the heebee-jeebees especially at the campsite we stayed before you get to the spring (under all the tree coverage). I felt like something was watching us all night long.

It was just creepy

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 10/30/2010, 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Haunted Canyon was my 2nd backpack and I had a lot of fun doing it. Tim's Emma came along and she was just a pup. Running and playing and even followed me into my tent and settled on my sleeping bag. Guess she thought it was a good place to park herself. Such a cutie.

Been there after that too!
But I'm On-call that weekend until Wed.

I won't be able to make it with y'all Crying or Very sad Dang it, that "W" word just isn't cooperating with me !! I'd loved to have gotten out and go with.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Steve-o

PostPosted: 10/30/2010, 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I really wish I could go, not sure I was invited though. still have to work that weekend
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 10/30/2010, 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So find some one to trade the weekend with ya Steve-O and come with! Any hike posted on the site is posted for all to attend! All hikers should consider the hike and know their abilities and take responsibility for them selves and their guests as the site takes no responsibility for any attendees. As one well loved member once said... " we are all a bunch solo hikers hiking together" or some sort of thing....

I want to shine!
beckett

PostPosted: 10/31/2010, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Be sure to post this soon as an event so we can all sign up!

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Steve-o

PostPosted: 11/1/2010, 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thats awesome, so do you guys run it as a group hike or each is responsible for all their own gear? I ask because I dont have a water filter yet.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 11/1/2010, 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Steve-O, everyone is generally responsible for bringing their own gear, but most people are willing to share things like water filters so I wouldn't let the lack of one discourage you from joining in.

Besides, a group trip is a great way to check out gear before making a purchase on some of the more costly items, like a water filter, too...you can see what other people have and what they like and dislike about it, and I'd bet just about anyone would gladly let you pump a couple liters of water for them so you could get a hands on feel for the filter. Wink

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Steve-o

PostPosted: 11/1/2010, 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Even more awesome, I have no prblem putting up my work to borrow a filter, as well as the idea I might finally be able to choose one. I could always boil it but that takes forever, and away from exploring time. Is the where you all generally post hikes? It would be exciting to meet cool people that enjoy stuff like this. Most of the people I know think I am crazy. Atleast my wife is starting to come around. Can't wait until my daughters are old enough to go, they keep begging me to join.
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 11/1/2010, 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK everyone! I updated a bit and added a registration thingie! Let's get this ball rollin'!

I want to shine!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/1/2010, 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What about that GREAT Mexican place in Superior....Dos Hermanos. You know the one...it looks like a dive on the outside but the food is OH SO GOOD and they make their own tortillas! You can get a huge plate of food for under $8.

The other thing I want to mention is that there was talk of the lower TH being closed to hikers and last time I was there (2008 or 2009) there was a lot of heavy machinery along that Jeep Road. Now I haven't seen anything about it being closed on HAZ but I sure can take a drive out there and check it out. If it is closed, we will have no choice but to enter from Miles TH which (last time I was on it that FR) was a crappy drive and the road wasn't too good.

I'm supposed to get my new tires the weekend of the 13th so I'd be happy to drive some of you "west-siders" from AJ. There is really limited parking at the "southern" TH.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/1/2010, 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I can take 4 comfortably in the X........5 is you don't mind being cozy.

T

oliverr99

PostPosted: 11/1/2010, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I might be able to go, but I don't know the trail at all, since I have never been on it. Is it pretty easy to follow? And I don't have 4x4 so I will need a ride if we need it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: