ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Gear Storage
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 12/11/2003, 11:24 am    Post subject: Gear Storage Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pat and I are house shopping and a reoccuring issue is the outdoor gear. Specifically, the concern is where to store it.

Presently most of it is in tupperwear containers in the office closet, with the exception of the big equiptment (kayak, bikes, etc.). This certainly takes up a lot of space that would be nice to use for other stuff.

So...we're looking at houses and one house has a storage shed in the backyard. I've been told numerous times that storing things like sleeping bags and tents and packs in a non air conditioned environment (ie garage) is a bad idea due to the heat. I'm considering if it would be possible to put an exhaust fan/thermostat in the shed to lower the air temp thus allowing me to store said outdoor gear in the shed.

What does the rest of you do with all this stuff...Randy? I know you've got mountains of gear...where ya storing it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated..

"The Journey is the Destination"
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 12/11/2003, 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Gear Storage Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
I know you've got mountains of gear...

porridge Straight, and its an ongoing point of contention between me and the misses. I usually keep my daypack and overnight pack packed so they are ready to go (minus water, food, and sleeping bag in the overnight bag) and are hung from hooks in the ceiling. The rest of my stuff (that hardly ever gets used, but for some reason I can't bring myself to get rid of) goes into a set of cabinets specially made for the equipment. there goes all my extra sleeping bags, tents, tarps, stuff-sacks full of stuff-sacks, extra backpacks, peices of backpacks etc...

I don't think I would store my equipment in a shed outside unless it had some sort of ventilation system and was well cleaned first. I'd hate to wind up with a black widow or brown recluse sharing my sleeping bag... Personally I'd leave my camping gear in the house and put the less important stuff (i.e. my wife's stuff Wink ) in the shed.
ghoster

PostPosted: 12/11/2003, 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well I usually designate one closet as the outdoor stuff storage area. I guess that we have a fair amount of stuff, for two people. It all fits in the closet, with some organizing and containerizing. Storing outside wouldn't be my first choice, just because of the critters you might give a living area to. Keeping my current favorite pack and day pack full and ready to go works well, and kicking them around the living room just reminds me that it is time to get moving and get out there. I am just waiting for the weather to get a little warmer then I am out of the house again.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 12/11/2003, 1:56 pm    Post subject: Gear Storage Reply to topic Reply with quote

I tried leaving it all in Hooli's motor home, but he keeps returning it....

I store my old lend/lease stuff in the garage. I would not store any coated tent flys, or PTFE (Goretex) stuff there. I keep Sleeping Bags open under the beds (But I've got more bags than beds...my minus 40 PTFE/Down bag is on a closet shelf above cat level...) along with thermarests, which, BTW, are supposed to be kept open and inflated Backs, tents and clothing fill a 7 foot closet in bedroom three, AKA the office. The "storage bags" sold for sleeping bags are good for tents. It's good to leave them less stuffed than on the trail. (Incidentally, never fold a tent, always stuff. That way the creases are random, rather than alwys in the same place which weakens the fabric.)

We'll probably take the hanger rod out of one closet to install more shelving, which increases storage capacity.

Attics are a real no-no, as they reach 160 in the summer. Too bad few builders do basements out here, they'd be a cooler place to sleep in the summer as well as better storage.

Good luck on your search, Colin. Email me if you need future roadway and freeway corridors identified. Maybe you can find my ultimate dream, a house with no flooring, cabinets, or roof top coat. Then I could select my own...-R
ck1

PostPosted: 12/11/2003, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just got back from looking at more houses...found one with an oversized laundry room between the kitchen and the garage that would hold all the gear I could ever buy, minus the bikes and kayak...the only problem is it's in a "private" neighboorhood with microscopic yards...

snick33

PostPosted: 12/11/2003, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've always kept my sleeping bag and liner under the bed, opend and laying flat. It really seems to help with the loft. My day bag is always in the Jeep and I keep a duffle with poles, water, boots, God only knows what in there as well. I forgot, a fire extinquisher, I've always carried one in hopes of being a hero someday.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 12/12/2003, 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One should just have all their kids grow up and have a big house with empty bedrooms.... it works for me Rolling Eyes
snick33

PostPosted: 12/12/2003, 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

But they keep wandering back Maryphyl, we've tried locking the doors and turning the lights down low, but they are always there, lurking in the shadows, wondering if their beds are still made up for them.
ck1

PostPosted: 12/13/2003, 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One of the outdoor magazine's I read, I think maybe "Hooked on the outdoors" or something like that has a feature where they show a photo of a famous outdoors person's (Like a snowboarder or Ian Adamson) garage...it's kinda sweet...and cause I'm a gear geek, I get excited about the article, not in a school boy's first glimpse of a boobie excited, but excited none the less. One paddler they featured had a wall of kayaks in the garage, it looked cool. A climber had just TONS of old rope hanging on pegs...cool...but I know I'm a geek about this stuff...my wife just Rolling Eyes and sighs heavily as she walks away....

Nighthiker

PostPosted: 12/13/2003, 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have quite a lot of gear since I hike, backpack, vehicle camp, tent trailer camp, mtn. bike camp along with offroading and picnic. My gear is stored in groups around the place, kitchen/cooking items, sleepping/shelter gear and packs. My tent trailer is preloaded and so are my day packs, and one of my three back packs. My jeep wrangler contains all my gear to camp out/hike for up to four days (not at this time, it just came back from a new paint job). I store my sleeping bags from hangers except for the bag in my jeep and attached to a back pack (I rotate every couple of weeks).
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/13/2003, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use one side of a big closet for gear, as well as the garage for more durable stuff. Tents, Thermorests, bags go in the closet. I just hang bags and tents over a big hanger. Put the smaller stuff in big plastic tubs. Hang the back packs on a hanger also. so far, so good.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 12/13/2003, 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

snick33 wrote:
But they keep wandering back Maryphyl, we've tried locking the doors and turning the lights down low, but they are always there, lurking in the shadows, wondering if their beds are still made up for them.

LOLOL We just had one move back from Phoenix this week--one bedroom down and his c*ap is exploding everywhere!!
ck1

PostPosted: 12/14/2003, 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well...we bought the house today that I mentioned above...so, along with the rest of the house, we're now the proud owners of a gear room! Now I've got to get to work figuring out how to do the room. I'm thinking that the backpacks go on hooks from floor to ceiling, bags hanging in storage bags...there's a set of shelves in the room already for smaller gear... Rolling Eyes told ya I'm a geek about gear!

Anybody else discover that Home Depot is now selling extra large carabiners? I picked one up last week, it's a bout 2.5x's the size of an average biner...perfect for gear storage!

Shihiyea

PostPosted: 12/14/2003, 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Congratulations on the new home and the "gear room". Laughing Let''s see, I have 2 t-rest, under the bed with the dust bunnies, 3 sleeping bags hanging in closets, tents, tarps and other gear in the outdoor storage, ropes hanging in my front closet along with climbing gear and backpacks and a mt biked stored in the corner of my office. I have no room for clothes. Solution:!: Sell everything that can not be labled "gear" and move out to the wilderness! Seriously, enjoy your new home! Mary
evenstar

PostPosted: 12/15/2003, 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Congrats on the new home Colin!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: