ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Ecotourism on horseback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bohem

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 10:36 am    Post subject: Ecotourism on horseback Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone have any leads at all on somewhat organized outdoor trips that visitors to AZ, probably from the UK and of varying fitness levels, can do with a minimum of organizing themselves? And to any involve ecotourism in any way? I'm thinking along the lines of helping to restore overgrazed land, washed out gulleys, catalog wildlife etc.? Or, hope of hope, would any involve horseback travel or is this just getting to be a totally romanticised Euro view of the great west?

Would apprecaite any and all leads.

Best,

-Bohem Question
Nealz

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bohem-

Welcome to Arizonahikers! The first thing that came to mind after reading your post are some of the local properties of the Nature Conservancy-

http://nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/arizona/

I've been to Ramsey Canyon and it's a great spot, especially if you or others in your party are birders. The Nature Conservancy is always looking for volunteers as well. They still manage a property called the Muleshoe Ranch not far from Ramsey Canyon and yes, there are guided horse tours of varying length and ability.

Another thought would be Arcosanti.

http://www.arcosanti.org/

Though not strictly a nature preserve, It deals mostly between the interplay of architecture and ecology (arcology, in founder Paolo Solari's parlance). They also have shorter and longer hands-on seminars.

I hope this helps and I'm sure others will have more ideas for you as well. Take care.

-Nealz
desert dweller

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 11:18 am    Post subject: Other Possibilities Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Muleshoe Ranch is a beautiful place on the southern flanks of the Galiuros, north of Wilcox. The Nature Conservancy also owns and runs the Hooker Hot Springs in the same area. I am sure they have some riding tours.

There is always trail repair, creation and trail scouting going on for the Arizona Trail. They may have some horseback riding events going on. Try the Arizona Trail Association search on Google for the address.
Bohem

PostPosted: 1/19/2003, 4:18 am    Post subject: Thanks much. And further north? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Those are some groovy resources. So any ideas for around Payson or the Rim? Ops for wildlife spotting would be a big plus...
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/19/2003, 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There is a horse campground along Houston Mesa Road just north of Payson. It has water troughs for horses and corrals and you can drive through with a vehicle and horse trailer instead of backing in to your campsite. I don't know of any organized horse trips though. You may also consider the area east of Payson along the rim near woods Canyon Lake. some of the campgrounds along the rim have horse corrals but they are closed this time of year.
AZW2

PostPosted: 1/23/2003, 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here are a few interesting links:

http://www.laruta.org/

http://www.sabo.org/hummers.htm

http://www.archaeologicadventures.com/trips.html

http://www.infohub.com/TRAVEL/SIT/sit_pages/Arizona.html

Hope you enjoy returning home to Arizona!!! Cool

PostPosted: 1/23/2003, 8:25 pm    Post subject: What's up? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Howdy, we note from your profile you are a travel writer who shared this great info about yourself:

"Born in Arizona, moved to ... Bohemia, actually. Not a lot of great canyons, though there are some fine Gothic spires. When in the west on family visits, a good outdoors escape always helps. If you know what I mean. Besides, living in old Europe gives a new appreciation for the wilderness wonders of the west."

Are you planning on bringing over a guided trip or are you planning on writing an article about such things? Not that you need to clarify but it would be nice to know your intentions with the info you seek.

j&s
Bohem

PostPosted: 2/4/2003, 12:05 pm    Post subject: Best laid intentions... Reply to topic Reply with quote

...or the road to hell is paved with good plans, perhaps. Well, I find it's best not to have any concrete intentions when exploring as it's always best to be responsive to what's out there - which you never know till you're there, no matter how well you research beforehand.

But in a word, I'm no guide, just a hack (and photographer, graphic designer and recently marketing guru for some small businesses here). As such, I'm always looking for something to write about. At the moment I'm doing some pieces for British newspapers so I was wondering if there were some quality experience of the West that I could turn Brits onto that's easily do-able. If so, that's one possibility for an article. Will be a tough sell, though, as probably most Londoners, at least, may feel they get enough of a wilderness buzz in a resort in Scottsdale with a golf course.

If so, then I'd be happy to settle for discovering a great riding or eco-experience for myself and my Czech girlfriend with "story research" as a thin excuse. It can excuse a fair amount, I've found. Wink

PostPosted: 2/5/2003, 5:49 pm    Post subject: OK Reply to topic Reply with quote

The credentials you proffer are probably good enough for most of "the locals" over here. You would probably do well to contact various companies with a Net presence and set up a series of "adventure appointments." Whether or not your work gets published should be "none of their never no mind" while you are doing your "onsite reporting." We've learned over the years that most Arizona outdoor outfitters are truly "saps" for anyone with a British accent and a note pad and pen.
Don't sell yourself short. Drop all the right names and HAVE FUN!
PM us if you want some specific suggestions for "easy marks."

j
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: