ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Arizona Wilderness Coalition - Upcoming Events

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(0)
User
aleahsato

PostPosted: 10/7/2010, 1:20 pm    Post subject: Arizona Wilderness Coalition - Upcoming Events Reply to topic Reply with quote

October

Saturday, October 23—Phoenix Meet-and-Greet & Porch Potluck
12pm - 2pm, AWC's Historic Phoenix Office

Get together with others who care about Arizona's beautiful, wild places as we plan upcoming events for the autumn months and share a potluck meal. Nonmembers who would like to learn more are welcome to attend. Children are also welcome.

For more information and to RSVP, contact Aleah Sato at aleah@azwild.org or phone: 602-252-5530

Tuesday, October 26—Flagstaff AWC Get-Together
6 pm - 7:30pm, Late for the Train, Ft Valley Rd location

Calling all wilderness advocates in the Flagstaff region---Come out and get to know each other!! We will be discussing ways to get involved in Northern AZ wilderness and conservation efforts, planning restoration projects for the fall and winter, and reaching out to new members in the area. Stay tuned for location and more info! To hold your spot, email aleah@azwild.org

Saturday, October 30—Anza National Historic Trail Restoration Event
8:30am - 2pm, near Gila Bend, AZ

Would you like to spend a morning restoring a portion of a National Historic Trail, one of only 19 in the U. S.?
Would you like to meet new friends, learn about the Anza Trail and the Sonoran Desert National Monument, and have a great time?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, join AWC, the Anza Trail Foundation, Anza Trail Coalition of Arizona, Friends of the Sonoran Desert National Monument, Sierra Club, Bureau of Land Management and National Park Service on Saturday, October 30 at 8:30am, as we restore a portion of the Anza Trail in the Sonoran Desert National Monument. There is no cost to participants and no experience is necessary. Volunteers are asked to bring a water bottle, work gloves, wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, and rain jacket or poncho. Please wear sturdy shoes or boots and clothing suitable for working outdoors. To register, contact Aleah Sato at aleah@azwild.org or phone 602-252-5530. Lunch and tools will be provided. Directions will be provided via email.

November

Sat-Sun, November 13-14—Upper Burro Creek Wilderness Weekend
Members: Free; Non-Members: $15 (which gives you a free membership to AWC)

Explore beautiful Burro Creek and participate in an optional overnight camp-out under the stars. This time of year is particularly lovely with changing leaves and cooler temps. Catch a glimpse of the area's renowned wild burros; check out some fascinating geologic features; learn about the history of the land; or simply find a quiet spot and take it all in. Details will be emailed to participants. A carpool option will be available. Limited to 10 participants.

To RSVP, contact Aleah Sato at aleah@azwild.org or phone 602-252-5530.

All the soarings of my mind begin in my blood.
Rainer Maria Rilke
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/7/2010, 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks interesting. Is this the group that Don Hoffman is affiliated with? I know him, just recently went on a backpacking trip to the Black River with him and a bunch of people who are interested in the wolf recovery project.
aleahsato

PostPosted: 10/8/2010, 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, indeed. Don was once our Executive Director and now sits on our board. The wolf recovery project - fantastic.

Good to hear from you and I hope to meet you at an outing.

Best,
Aleah

Rainer Maria Rilke
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/8/2010, 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you, I will look forward to doing something in the future. At the moment however, my calendar is very full, and I am working and going to school full time on top of all the backpacking trips, etc. But keep us posted here at AZH, and I will watch for your posts.

Elizabeth P.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 10/8/2010, 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Worked with AWC on the Wilderness Act of 1990 had a very good time and we were happy with most of the act. Have you reviewed the current proposal's for WA ?
aleahsato

PostPosted: 10/18/2010, 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nighthiker,

Very cool. I have -- there are regional proposals in the works. Would love your input and involvement. My email is aleah@azwild.org

Cheers,
Aleah

Rainer Maria Rilke
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/18/2010, 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just for the record, I do not agree with proposals to make the Colorado River corridor in Grand Canyon into a wilderness area, and neither does the Park.
aleahsato

PostPosted: 10/18/2010, 9:38 am    Post subject: Colorado River corridor Reply to topic Reply with quote

Do you know what group has put forth this proposal recently? Can you email me with your insights?

I am always interested in gaining community perspectives on some of the proposals.

BTW, our current work is comprised primarily of the Upper Verde, Sonoran and Sky Island regions...

Thanks!
Aleah

Rainer Maria Rilke
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/18/2010, 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, but I am going hiking right now. I have talked to people both from GCPBA and Tom Martin of River Runners for Wilderness, and formed my opinion. Will get back to you later on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: