ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Wilderness of Rocks 8-14-10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(2) (0)
User
Hikngrl
GTG
User
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Hikngrl
PostPosted: 7/27/2010, 7:12 am    Post subject: Wilderness of Rocks 8-14-10 Reply with quote

Starting to put together a plan for a weekend in the Wilderness of Rocks area with a hike to be planned for Saturday and the possibility of throwing a few ropes up some where in the area to climb a route or two on Sunday. Plans are just beginning and I thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone else was interested. Join us if you will if not we shall go anyway and just alter plans as needed! Awesome looking place and I have never been there so I am looking forward to it!

Planned hike is Mount Lemmon/Lemmon Rock Loop http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=785
Start this hike on the Mt. Lemmon trailhead at the very top of the Catalina highway. Meet at the TH at 0900 Saturday morning!

Planned Camping area is the general area of Mt Bigalow
Go 1.1 miles past the Palisades Visitor Center (which is at milepost 19.9 on Mt. Lemmon Hwy ) and turn right onto Mt. Bigelow Road, there is a sign. Make another sharp right and follow the dirt road down. Campsites will mostly be on your left, the ones on the right did not appear to be very flat. The road ends at the radio towers (at the Butterfly TH)
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Phoenix,+Maricopa,+Arizona&ll=32.414748,-110.728927&spn=0.0146,0.041199&z=16…the college-aged kids we were camped near were at the last campsite near the towers. They were no trouble, and far quieter than a typical AZH gathering, aside from having some car alarm issues (like someone else we know around AZH Wink)

Turns out AMC is having a climb in the area on Sunday which will provide us with a good lead climber or two so Todd and I signed up for that . Since neither of us can lead climb.

Thinking we won't head down till early Saturday AM cause I have been working a lot of late Fridays lately so it is just too ify as to weather or not I will be off in time to go down Friday.

Planning continues.......any further suggestions?

Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 8/6/2010, 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

PS seriously considering Mount Lemmon/Lemmon Rock Loop, Good descroption over on HAZ!

I want to shine!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/7/2010, 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Lemmon Rock Loop I'm doing might be different than the ones just recently posted on HAZ. I plan to hike from Marshall Gulch 1.2 miles to Marshall Saddle. Then hang a right onto what in Trail Guide to the Santa Catalina Mountains is called Radio Ridge Trail up switchbacks about 1.2 miles to Radio Ridge. On to Lemmon Rock, a short distance along that ridge. Then on down the Lemmon Rock Trail to W. of Rocks trail. 2.0. From the intersection of W of Rocks trail and Lemmon Rock Trail, will go on down to Lemmon Pools, which are about a mile southwest of the previous trail intersection. From there back to Marshall Gulch parking is about 4 miles. So I am looking at around 9 miles or so, a loop that includes awesome views, a swimming hole and waterfalls. Who could ask for more?

Get the Mt. Lemmon 7.5 for clearest map. The Rainbow Expeditions (SAHC) map of the Catalinas also very helpful. Available at Summit Hut. Book is Trail Guide to the Santa Catalina Mountains, by Pete Cowgill and Eber Glendening. I will post a writeup with photos and, most importantly, the route, later on. Hopefully I can figure out how to post the route using my laptop, since I am already in Tucson, and will be here until Wed.

I am in Oro Valley, and just walked the dog with my sister-in-law, and the temp is very pleasant at this time of day.
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 8/7/2010, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Elizabeth,

I believe that you will find that the trail between Marshall Saddle and Radio Ridge is now an extension of the Aspen Trail.

BTW, if you like country-music singer George Strait, you may want to check out Music on the Mountain at Summerhaven after your hike:
http://azstarnet.com/news/local/foothills/article_00b0904c-17c5-5077-97ea-860a34d56f15.html

Bill
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/7/2010, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh boy, oh joy, so that means there will be a lot of traffic when we're leaving? No, don't like country music all that much, unless it is (very occasionally) Merle Haggard or Willie Nelson.

Thanks for the info about that trail.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 8/8/2010, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm gonna sign up, but not 100% just yet. A possible gotcha. If I have to back out I'll let you know by Friday.

I have the weekend free, so I'm trying to take advantage of my free time.

I'll be waiting for further update on location.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/8/2010, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hiked almost to Lemmon Pools today, but the creek was so high, we turned back, but Deborah's group, which we did see, did not turn back. We went back to Marshall Gulch, then drove to the top of Mt. Lemmon and hiked down the Lemmon Rock LO trail back to Wilderness of Rocks. Deborah emailed to say we should have gone all the way to Lemmon Pools. I was happy, though, since we did the second hike as well.

We took a couple dips in pools. It was fun. Hiked 11 or 12 miles total, with the two hikes.

I cannot believe how much water is up there right now. People were saying they had never seen it like that before. It is green green green, lots of flowers and mushrooms, just like the White Mtns. There are so many little waterfalls and pools along Lemmon Creek. It would be fun to follow it a lot further, and spend a lot of time in W. of Rocks, just exploring all the fun rocks, too.
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 8/8/2010, 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tracy tell us about the permit situation for camping on Mt Bigalow please!

I want to shine!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/8/2010, 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Permit? Don't you just need to buy the highway pass? I was just looking at the website, and it looks as though you need to buy a week pass for $10 if you are staying more than one day. Dispersed camping is the same as it is anywhere else you are used to, though.

A lot of people go up the mountain on weekends in summer. They mostly stay for the day or car camp. Which is why I recommended backpacking.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 8/8/2010, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
Tracy tell us about the permit situation for camping on Mt Bigalow please!

There are no camping permits required to camp on Mt. Bigelow road. Usually there is a pass fee for the park ($5 per day, $10 per week), but according to the Coronado National Forest webpage, the fees are waived this coming weekend.

There apparently is a campfire permit required to have campfires...what I've read is that the campfire permit is free...but I don't have a clue where you go to get one. dunno

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/9/2010, 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I looked all over the website and I don't see anything about campfire restrictions at this time. However, to be on the safe side, why not just call them on the phone?
paintninaz

PostPosted: 8/9/2010, 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
I looked all over the website and I don't see anything about campfire restrictions at this time. However, to be on the safe side, why not just call them on the phone?

No, not campfire restrictions. There was a sign on Mt. Bigelow road that said "campfire permits are required to have a campfire"....we didn't know this going in, so therefore didn't have one (permit or campfire)

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
sirena

PostPosted: 8/9/2010, 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have gotten a fire permit at the fire station just south of Summerhaven in the past.

Sirena's Wanderings
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

Arizona Trail for Fibromyalgia
http://www.aztrail4fms.org
Deborah

PostPosted: 8/9/2010, 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Stop at Palisade's Ranger Station present driver's license and aprox. location of the campfire.
Good luck on Bigalow , a big party spot for Tucsonians on Sat. nights.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/9/2010, 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Backpacking rules!
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 8/9/2010, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
Backpacking rules!

Yes, but we would like to make sure that any one who wants to do this can. We will just have to take our chances on the Bigalow thing.... AZH gatherings can be pretty noisy anyway. Lets hope we don't keep the teenagers awake! We have already lost one participant.....

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: