ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Kendrick Peak Hike Sat July 24th 2010
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(4) (0) (0)
User
GTG
Hikngrl
Tom Treks
chihiggs
User
User
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
GTG
PostPosted: 7/19/2010, 6:09 am    Post subject: Kendrick Peak Hike Sat July 24th 2010 Reply with quote

Kendrick Peak Hike Sat July 24th 2010

We haven't gotten out in a while and were trying to figure out a hike that we could do with our out of shape selves somewhere cool. So we talked and remembered one that desertgirl put together a few years back and so I have basically copied her old post to make this new one.

What is it?: Camp and hike at Kendrick peak.

The Plan?: Hike Kendrick or just lounge in camp.

Please come prepared to hike your own hike.

Proposed Trail Head start time: 8:00 am.
There may be inclement weather, come prepared.

More Information : Distance Round Trip 8 miles, Trailhead Elevation 7700 feet , Elevation Gain 2718 feet, Av Time Round Trip 6-7 hrs Rating: Moderate
This is a hike to one of the highest vistas in northern Arizona. From Kendrick's 10,418 foot summit, you can see the Grand Canyon to the north and Oak Creek Canyon to the south. In addition to the impressive scenery, it's a good place to see wildlife, especially elk and mule deer. The trail starts in the ponderosa pines and climbs into the mixed conifer forests of Douglas fir, white fir, Engelmann spruce and corkbark fir within the Kendrick Mountain Wilderness. Note that there are no reliable springs along the trail and no water at the top of the mountain.
Just below the mountain's summit, you'll see an old cabin. This is the old lookout cabin, built in the early 1900s and listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Trail Layout: After about 1/2 mile of trail, this route up Kendrick Mountain follows an old fire road for about one mile. From this point the trail becomes a foot path again and is well marked and gently sloped. Almost all of the trail is within the Kendrick Mountain Wilderness.

Trailhead Location: Trailhead at 7700 feet. An accessible vault toilet is available here. Trail starts at the parking area along FR 190.

USGS Map(s): Moritz Ridge-Kendrick

Campsite: Directions to campsite:
From Flagstaff, go northwest on US 180 about 10 miles past the road to the Snowbowl, to the FS193 (on the left). (Note: this turnoff is 1 mile past the Nordic Center) Take FS 193 west about 3.5 miles to FS 171. Turn south (left) and go about .7 mile to FS 9003K. Turn northeast (left) onto FS 9003K about .4 of a mile. Just beyond the stock tank on your left the road forks. Take the left fork about 250 yards. There is a nice spot with a cul-de-sac drive up into the trees with a great view of the San Francisco Peaks.
(This is the same campsite as the Lava Tube 2006 GHOTM and the Kendrick 2006 GHOTM)

It wouldn't be an AZH hike without a food list!
Food:
Hikngrl and GTG - brats, condiments, buns for Sat PM, pancakes and syrup for Sun. AM

Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 7/31/2010, 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice photos. I did not know that northern AZ had strawberries. All the hiking I've done in that are when I lived there, I never came across them. I really feel like I missed out!

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: