ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Kendrick Peak Hike Sat July 24th 2010
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(4) (0) (0)
User
GTG
Hikngrl
Tom Treks
chihiggs
User
User
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
GTG
PostPosted: 7/19/2010, 6:09 am    Post subject: Kendrick Peak Hike Sat July 24th 2010 Reply with quote

Kendrick Peak Hike Sat July 24th 2010

We haven't gotten out in a while and were trying to figure out a hike that we could do with our out of shape selves somewhere cool. So we talked and remembered one that desertgirl put together a few years back and so I have basically copied her old post to make this new one.

What is it?: Camp and hike at Kendrick peak.

The Plan?: Hike Kendrick or just lounge in camp.

Please come prepared to hike your own hike.

Proposed Trail Head start time: 8:00 am.
There may be inclement weather, come prepared.

More Information : Distance Round Trip 8 miles, Trailhead Elevation 7700 feet , Elevation Gain 2718 feet, Av Time Round Trip 6-7 hrs Rating: Moderate
This is a hike to one of the highest vistas in northern Arizona. From Kendrick's 10,418 foot summit, you can see the Grand Canyon to the north and Oak Creek Canyon to the south. In addition to the impressive scenery, it's a good place to see wildlife, especially elk and mule deer. The trail starts in the ponderosa pines and climbs into the mixed conifer forests of Douglas fir, white fir, Engelmann spruce and corkbark fir within the Kendrick Mountain Wilderness. Note that there are no reliable springs along the trail and no water at the top of the mountain.
Just below the mountain's summit, you'll see an old cabin. This is the old lookout cabin, built in the early 1900s and listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Trail Layout: After about 1/2 mile of trail, this route up Kendrick Mountain follows an old fire road for about one mile. From this point the trail becomes a foot path again and is well marked and gently sloped. Almost all of the trail is within the Kendrick Mountain Wilderness.

Trailhead Location: Trailhead at 7700 feet. An accessible vault toilet is available here. Trail starts at the parking area along FR 190.

USGS Map(s): Moritz Ridge-Kendrick

Campsite: Directions to campsite:
From Flagstaff, go northwest on US 180 about 10 miles past the road to the Snowbowl, to the FS193 (on the left). (Note: this turnoff is 1 mile past the Nordic Center) Take FS 193 west about 3.5 miles to FS 171. Turn south (left) and go about .7 mile to FS 9003K. Turn northeast (left) onto FS 9003K about .4 of a mile. Just beyond the stock tank on your left the road forks. Take the left fork about 250 yards. There is a nice spot with a cul-de-sac drive up into the trees with a great view of the San Francisco Peaks.
(This is the same campsite as the Lava Tube 2006 GHOTM and the Kendrick 2006 GHOTM)

It wouldn't be an AZH hike without a food list!
Food:
Hikngrl and GTG - brats, condiments, buns for Sat PM, pancakes and syrup for Sun. AM

chihiggs

PostPosted: 7/20/2010, 7:29 am    Post subject: Rides Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Trish, I am thinking that car pooling would be a idea. I will PM you with my cell number. If you choose to call, will you leave a message; I tend not to answer calls from phone numbers that I do not know Embarassed
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/20/2010, 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
You go girl! Glad you are having a great summer! Keep it up! Keep tellling us about it so we can all live vicariously through you!

I will try to take time to post a few more triplogs and photos! Wish I could make this Kendrick hike but I think I will have to work this weekend at the dude ranch--I am on-call there but have worked only 3 days this summer there! Very Happy Also, I am getting a lot of hike mileage, but not a lot of car mileage lately. Saves money. I did go to Flag for that one trip. Otherwise, have stayed in this area all summer.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 7/21/2010, 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dad having minor surgery, sorry. Have a great time!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 7/21/2010, 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As it turns out I have to work on Saturday AND I'm also the manager on call (and I though that was the following week)

Have a great time

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 7/22/2010, 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Linda! Do you get to come?

I want to shine!
chihiggs

PostPosted: 7/22/2010, 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Food: I will bring some plates and napkins for food and dessert for Sat pm and how about eggs for Sunday am?!?

Suggestions are welcome Shocked

***** I see this is a location that has been used before; does anyone remember if a regular car will get back in there if caution is used? I will be driving the Saturn since the trip will be made solo.
chihiggs

PostPosted: 7/22/2010, 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dang--I need to change my avatar to a bald guy Rolling Eyes

I'll have to bug one of you on the hike to use my camera and snap a picture when the sun is just right so it doesn't reflect and blind the camera Laughing
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 7/22/2010, 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

chihiggs wrote:
Food: I will bring some plates and napkins for food and dessert for Sat pm and how about eggs for Sunday am?!?

Suggestions are welcome Shocked

***** I see this is a location that has been used before; does anyone remember if a regular car will get back in there if caution is used? I will be driving the Saturn since the trip will be made solo.

Eggs and dessert sound great sir! I'm fairly certain that a standard vehicle will make it.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 7/22/2010, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

chihiggs wrote:

I'll have to bug one of you on the hike to use my camera and snap a picture when the sun is just right so it doesn't reflect and blind the camera Laughing

I'm so glad you are coming! You always make me smile!

I want to shine!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/22/2010, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wish I could go but I am in Glacier ....Hiking! Very Happy
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/22/2010, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Wish I could go but I am in Glacier ....Hiking! Very Happy

Do you work anymore? Geesh.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/22/2010, 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's looking like I may be able to get up there Fri night, but still not sure what time.

I can bring some granola cereal and nanas for breakfast before the hike. I will bring some kind of add-ons to the brat thing, but not quite sure what that will be yet.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 7/22/2010, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

chihiggs wrote:

Look at it this way Higgs, you don't have to worry about the wind or rain messing up your hair...or HAT hair! Very Happy

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 7/23/2010, 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

chihiggs wrote:

Sending you a PM with my phone number in reference to this.

GTG
chihiggs

PostPosted: 7/23/2010, 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You guys Rock! Can't wait to see you all.

Diane - "I'm so glad you are coming! You always make me smile!" Likewise Sunshine Exclamation

Paint - Look at it this way Higgs, you don't have to worry about the wind or rain messing up your hair...or HAT hair! -- and in these tough times, I am saving a boatload on hair products Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: