ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Kendrick Peak Hike Sat July 24th 2010
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(4) (0) (0)
User
GTG
Hikngrl
Tom Treks
chihiggs
User
User
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 7/19/2010, 6:09 am    Post subject: Kendrick Peak Hike Sat July 24th 2010 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kendrick Peak Hike Sat July 24th 2010

We haven't gotten out in a while and were trying to figure out a hike that we could do with our out of shape selves somewhere cool. So we talked and remembered one that desertgirl put together a few years back and so I have basically copied her old post to make this new one.

What is it?: Camp and hike at Kendrick peak.

The Plan?: Hike Kendrick or just lounge in camp.

Please come prepared to hike your own hike.

Proposed Trail Head start time: 8:00 am.
There may be inclement weather, come prepared.

More Information : Distance Round Trip 8 miles, Trailhead Elevation 7700 feet , Elevation Gain 2718 feet, Av Time Round Trip 6-7 hrs Rating: Moderate
This is a hike to one of the highest vistas in northern Arizona. From Kendrick's 10,418 foot summit, you can see the Grand Canyon to the north and Oak Creek Canyon to the south. In addition to the impressive scenery, it's a good place to see wildlife, especially elk and mule deer. The trail starts in the ponderosa pines and climbs into the mixed conifer forests of Douglas fir, white fir, Engelmann spruce and corkbark fir within the Kendrick Mountain Wilderness. Note that there are no reliable springs along the trail and no water at the top of the mountain.
Just below the mountain's summit, you'll see an old cabin. This is the old lookout cabin, built in the early 1900s and listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Trail Layout: After about 1/2 mile of trail, this route up Kendrick Mountain follows an old fire road for about one mile. From this point the trail becomes a foot path again and is well marked and gently sloped. Almost all of the trail is within the Kendrick Mountain Wilderness.

Trailhead Location: Trailhead at 7700 feet. An accessible vault toilet is available here. Trail starts at the parking area along FR 190.

USGS Map(s): Moritz Ridge-Kendrick

Campsite: Directions to campsite:
From Flagstaff, go northwest on US 180 about 10 miles past the road to the Snowbowl, to the FS193 (on the left). (Note: this turnoff is 1 mile past the Nordic Center) Take FS 193 west about 3.5 miles to FS 171. Turn south (left) and go about .7 mile to FS 9003K. Turn northeast (left) onto FS 9003K about .4 of a mile. Just beyond the stock tank on your left the road forks. Take the left fork about 250 yards. There is a nice spot with a cul-de-sac drive up into the trees with a great view of the San Francisco Peaks.
(This is the same campsite as the Lava Tube 2006 GHOTM and the Kendrick 2006 GHOTM)

It wouldn't be an AZH hike without a food list!
Food:
Hikngrl and GTG - brats, condiments, buns for Sat PM, pancakes and syrup for Sun. AM
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 7/19/2010, 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Multi YAY!!!! An AZH hike! I am SO excited! Come on every one! Spread the word and let's go hiking! I miss you all so much! Hiking

I want to shine!
beckett

PostPosted: 7/19/2010, 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When is this hike? Can't find a date...but I hope I can go!

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 7/19/2010, 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OH silly boy! It is this weekend! I will let Todd know he forgot to post the date!

I want to shine!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/19/2010, 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, I am not sure about this, but want to know, are people showing up on Saturday and hiking the peak on the same day, then camping that night nearby? Or showing up on Friday? Or? You have only one day posted, but you are talking about a campout...
chihiggs

PostPosted: 7/19/2010, 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am in!! Laughing Hope I can get me and my belly to the top Crazy

I will get back with more details about when and how!!

THANK YOU!! Exclamation Exclamation
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 7/19/2010, 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
Ok, I am not sure about this, but want to know, are people showing up on Saturday and hiking the peak on the same day, then camping that night nearby? Or showing up on Friday? Or? You have only one day posted, but you are talking about a campout...

Sorry, the hike is Saturday, yes there wil be a campout. You can show up either Friday or Saturday and hike, camp, etc.

Thanks,
GTG
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/19/2010, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You have no idea how bad I need to get outdoors without this oppressive heat.

Does this summer like totally suck for anyone else?

Signed up for Fri/Sat but not positive about Fri yet.
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 7/19/2010, 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike, a good share of us will be dragging! But thats ok, the first step is the hardest they say and I totally believe it!

Tom, uh yeah! It is a tough one! But this will make is so much better! We will be arriving late Friday evening so come on up and join us for a late night tent raising!

I want to shine!
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 7/19/2010, 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a good plan, I am really going to try and make it..at this point I don't think I have any possible interruptions...so fingers crossed..! Very Happy
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 7/19/2010, 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom Treks wrote:

Does this summer like totally suck for anyone else?

Yeah Tom, it totally sucks for me but at least I got in a two and half week vacation in Utah in May.

I'm going to TRY to make it but can't say for sure right now. Since I started the new J-O-B in June, I've been working a lot of weekends.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 7/19/2010, 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is anyone heading up from the East Valley on Friday night who wants to share a ride and gas?

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 7/20/2010, 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Boy this sounds wonderful. That is a beautiful area and hike.
A great way to escape this HEAT! A little inclement weather would even seem welcome, haven't seen rain in while and smell that earthy rain smell Shocked

Unfortunatly can't make it, this time. Been off On-call for 4 weekends and I start my turn on Wed. Unfortunate Timing for me!

Really Wished I Could go. That is a awesome campsite too, secluded with wonderful views. Linda if you can make it, try to it is really nice !

Ya'all Have a wonderful time and a Great Tent raising! (would that be kinda like a Barn Raising with food and all Laughing )

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/20/2010, 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom Treks wrote:
You have no idea how bad I need to get outdoors without this oppressive heat. Does this summer like totally suck for anyone else?

Best summer in at least 30 years, especially since I have not had to WORK! Very Happy I have been backpacking 3 times so far. I have climbed Arizona's 3 main high points: Escudilla, Humphreys and Baldy. Have done some long dayhikes, including a 17-miler, and have mtn. biked and road biked. I have sought out hikes and bike rides to places I have never been before. I have met a lot of new people from TRACKS, ABC, SAHC and TUB hiking clubs!!!!! Very Happy Have seen lots of elk, deer, and even a bear!

I have also spent volunteer time with the search and rescue youth group, (Apache Rescue Team) studying WFR (Wilderness First Responder) with them, and am going to Tucson in August to recert my WFR. While I'm there I plan on doing an 8-to-10-mile loop hike in the Catalinas, to Wilderness of Rocks and Lemmon Rock.

OK, OK, I'm bragging, but I have to say, I have spent some very, very miserable and unhappy summers up here, where I was stuck inside all day sewing packs, occasionally glancing up from my work, to where I could see out the window all the way to 10,000 foot Green's Peak in the 75 degree sunshine. And in order to not lose my house I had to sit there and do that, or find something else equally onerous, in order to pay the bills.

Last summer, 2009, was not bad, since I worked outside at the beautiful dude ranch full time, but I didn't go backpacking, only biking and dayhiking. In fact, until last month I hadn't been backpacking in over a year. I bought a new pack in January, a Golite Quest, and it is pretty nice! Very Happy
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 7/20/2010, 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You go girl! Glad you are having a great summer! Keep it up! Keep tellling us about it so we can all live vicariously through you!

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: