ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Salt River Commercial Raft Trip April 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(3) (1)
User
azbackpackr
Deborah
naturedeb
User
desertgirl
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
azbackpackr
PostPosted: 2/20/2010, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Salt River Commercial Raft Trip April 11 Reply with quote

I would like to invite everyone to come along on a commercial paddle-rafting trip on the upper Salt River, in the depths of the Salt River Canyon, on Sunday April 11. Cost per person, if you go with my group (they gave me a pretty good discount) is $110.86. The trip starts at the Salt River Canyon Bridge put-in, north of Globe on US 60. (Note: This is NOT tubing, nor is it near the tubing area!!!) Paddle rafts have the guide in the stern, who calls commands and steers. Passengers paddle according to the guide's calls. Check out the website for photos. This part of the river has Class II and III rapids. It is amazingly beautiful: big whitewater with saguaros along the banks!

The company I use is Independent Whitewater/Raft the Salt, which is based in Buena Vista, Colorado. Their "home river" is the Arkansas. They have been running raft trips on the Salt for many years, previously under the name of Blue Sky Whitewater. I have gone with them 3 times and found them to be very fun and very competent. Here is their website for more information: www.raftthesalt.com Phone number is 719-539-3555 or 800-425-5253. The people who answer the phone are owner/guides, and can answer any questions you may have.

The advantages of going commercial are that they set up the shuttle, they have the wetsuits and booties and helmets, etc. for everyone, and they give you a nice BBQ and salad bar lunch. All you have to do is to show up with your sunscreen and water bottle! Plus, you have the added safety of being with a professional guide instead of some random friend who has little or no experience. You do not have to have any experience on a guided paddle raft, and yet you get to participate in the paddling.

If you are interested please pm me for more info. In order to make a reservation you will need to call the company with your Visa or Mastercard (debit or credit) handy. And tell them the date and that you are with my group. Please pm me for the rest of the info.

desertgirl

PostPosted: 4/5/2010, 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Liz -- I have a rock climb scheduled for the 10th & this is my last free weekend day before I head out for 2 months to India so -- I had to not go -- I so want to go but I am overwhelmed with all the stuff I need to get wrapped up before I leave ..taxes, car registerations ( both needing emissions test this year...go figure!), a plumbing issue at the house, chnage my drip timer -- that decided to die on me Sad and Oh not to mention -- get my images posted from my Patagonia trip ....

If my climb falls thru I might consider .....
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/5/2010, 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, there is probably still room! Have fun in India!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 4/6/2010, 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry Elizabeth to hi-jack but... Ambika, you sound as busy as I've been for some time now. Have a safe trip to India and enjoy the time there with family. Your pics are just beautiful

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Suz

PostPosted: 4/6/2010, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:

Ha! That's not gonna happen............we ARE climbing! Gear up, it's going to be Epic...1300 foot climb with 6 pitches. Bring your headlamp!!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 4/6/2010, 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for that reminder on the headlamp!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 4/7/2010, 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
desertgirl wrote:

Ha! That's not gonna happen............we ARE climbing! Gear up, it's going to be Epic...1300 foot climb with 6 pitches. Bring your headlamp!!

What are you guys going to climb? It sounds fun!! Very Happy

Be safe, have fun! Agree

Elizabeth, have fun on your rafting trip too!! It sounds like a blast! Yes

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Suz

PostPosted: 4/7/2010, 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:

What are you guys going to climb? It sounds fun!! Very Happy

http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/courth.htm
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/7/2010, 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Rafting is a blast, but watch for next year! Next year I plan to put together a more adventurous rubber ducky trip, same commercial outfitter as this year. Participants can either go in tandem inflatable kayak with guide in stern, or go in single inflatable kayak. They do this when the water goes below 1,000. I would do it this year, in May, but I doubt I can afford to. However, some of you reading this may want to check into it. They told me last year that it is best to get a group together first, I can't remember if they wanted 4 or 6 people (check the website).

To buy a good quality ducky, new, is around $700-$1000 or so. Then you need all the stuff to go with it! So, that's another $500 or so.
Suz

PostPosted: 4/7/2010, 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It was a pile of fun once I got over my initial nervousness and got to play in the front of the raft. This was at a lovely rapid called Exhibition. I'm catching a little air in this photo but loving it.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/7/2010, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So, do you think you would be willing to try the rubber ducky, at low water? My friend went a few years ago--she went in the tandem with a guide. She is one who likes the idea of adventure, but is actually kind of timid, but she loved it. I don't think she would have wanted to do the single ducky though.
Deborah

PostPosted: 4/8/2010, 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz seeing your photo is getting my excitement going! I have never done anything quite like this before!
Woo hooo!!!

Deborah
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/8/2010, 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Indeed..WOOHOO!!! Razz
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/10/2010, 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Can't wait! It's tomorrow! I bought a disposable waterproof camera and hope it doesn't take too long to send it in for the processing! All of that is a pain in the neck these days. You can get a CD made, but it costs an arm and a leg. So it will be awhile before I can post the photos.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/12/2010, 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, it was a lot of fun! There were 35 people in my group! Shocked I walked around several times, especially at lunchtime, to make sure I met everyone. A lot of them had signed up and had told me they were bringing friends or family members. I posted it on here and on Arizona Backpacking Club Meetup Group and on hikearizona.com and also an email went out to most TRACKS members (a Pinetop-Lakeside hiking club.) I think there were 11 from ABC, 5 from my extended family, 2 from HAZ, Deborah and naturedeb from AZH, plus naturedeb's friend/family (sorry naturedeb, I totally lost track!) and the rest were from TRACKS. (I think...) Anyway, the river company people are good about handling crowds! I can't say enough about the company we go with, I just love 'em! Raft the Salt www.raftthesalt.com (They run trips on the Arkansas in summer in Colorado.)

Our guide was Tony, aka "Big T", a very experienced guide. He told us he works the Salt in spring, the Arkansas in Salida CO, through the summer, and the Rio Grande in Big Bend TX in the winter. "Livin' the dream" he called it.

The river was running at about 2600, so was higher than other times I have gone. It was so much fun! As usual, the food was great, the guides knew what they were doing, and a good time was had by all, as far as I can tell! A lot of the people who went had never done it before! Razz

Y'know, they are going to start doing the rubber ducky (inflatable kayak) trips later on in the season. They teach you how to paddle them, etc. They do it when the water is lower, so it will be in May... Razz

Thanks Deborah and naturedeb and friends for coming along!

Next year I think it will be a ducky trip!
threedogz

PostPosted: 4/14/2010, 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like you and your friends had a blast. I hope to get out there next year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: