ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Salt River Commercial Raft Trip April 11
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(3) (1)
User
azbackpackr
Deborah
naturedeb
User
desertgirl
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/20/2010, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Salt River Commercial Raft Trip April 11 Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would like to invite everyone to come along on a commercial paddle-rafting trip on the upper Salt River, in the depths of the Salt River Canyon, on Sunday April 11. Cost per person, if you go with my group (they gave me a pretty good discount) is $110.86. The trip starts at the Salt River Canyon Bridge put-in, north of Globe on US 60. (Note: This is NOT tubing, nor is it near the tubing area!!!) Paddle rafts have the guide in the stern, who calls commands and steers. Passengers paddle according to the guide's calls. Check out the website for photos. This part of the river has Class II and III rapids. It is amazingly beautiful: big whitewater with saguaros along the banks!

The company I use is Independent Whitewater/Raft the Salt, which is based in Buena Vista, Colorado. Their "home river" is the Arkansas. They have been running raft trips on the Salt for many years, previously under the name of Blue Sky Whitewater. I have gone with them 3 times and found them to be very fun and very competent. Here is their website for more information: www.raftthesalt.com Phone number is 719-539-3555 or 800-425-5253. The people who answer the phone are owner/guides, and can answer any questions you may have.

The advantages of going commercial are that they set up the shuttle, they have the wetsuits and booties and helmets, etc. for everyone, and they give you a nice BBQ and salad bar lunch. All you have to do is to show up with your sunscreen and water bottle! Plus, you have the added safety of being with a professional guide instead of some random friend who has little or no experience. You do not have to have any experience on a guided paddle raft, and yet you get to participate in the paddling.

If you are interested please pm me for more info. In order to make a reservation you will need to call the company with your Visa or Mastercard (debit or credit) handy. And tell them the date and that you are with my group. Please pm me for the rest of the info.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/21/2010, 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My plans will be known only close to the date itself ....lets see if Salt rafting is in my cards Smile
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/21/2010, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am pretty sure you can sign up pretty late in the game. It will be best if MOST of the folks sign on early, that way the company knows how many rafts to schedule. But if a few stragglers come in, there is likely going to be room in a raft, without them having to add a raft, or without some of my people having to ride in another party's raft, hopefully.

Anyway, hope you can come along, Ambika! You know it's going to be a blast! Very Happy
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/25/2010, 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We are working on filling raft #2 now. Amazingly, my husband, who always previously said he wouldn't be able to take all the thrashing around in the rapids, has decided to go! Smile

I expect it will take longer to fill the second raft, but wanted to let people know it is not just two people right now, it is up to 8. Most are from the White Mtns.
threedogz

PostPosted: 3/3/2010, 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I did this a couple years ago and it was really fun. Should be a good year for it with all the snow/rain.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/3/2010, 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes it should be fun. I have filled the second raft, have 16 paid people. I have not met ANY of them, or if I have, I don't remember. Most of them are from the TRACKS Pinetop area hiking club, except of course for Deborah, who is a fellow SAHC member.

So, I'm assuming the rafting company has a third available raft, if anyone is still interested. My daughter, her friends, and a couple other people who told me they are "definitely going to sign up" have not paid yet as far as I know, so I hope they don't wait until there are no more rafts left. I probably should call them to find out.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/3/2010, 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, so I talked to them just now. They are going to hold a third raft for my group. And they confirmed that I have 16 people in my group right now.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/7/2010, 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Insane, I now have 20 people signed up! Wow! I am wondering if I should call the company and reserve a 4th raft, since raft #3 may be full by midweek. I have several friends who keep telling me they "might" sign up, which would fill raft #3.
naturedeb

PostPosted: 3/12/2010, 11:39 pm    Post subject: Salt River trip Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hello, just joining you guys. I live in the White Mountains and would love to go on the Salt trip if you still have room. It would be me and 2 friends. Any info you provide would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to possibly meeting and getting to ride the river with you. Thanks!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/13/2010, 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Deb, I sent you a pm (private message) and yes, there is still room. I called the company today and am assured of a 4th raft.

I totally can't believe this thing is so popular, although it is just about the most fun way to spend a Sunday in April in the desert that I can think of! (Couldn't be because of my winning personality, I'm sure! Rolling Eyes )
desertgirl

PostPosted: 3/22/2010, 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is there still space ?
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/22/2010, 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

YES!!! Hope you can join us! Let me know if you do sign up or if you need any additional info!

Thanks!
E.
Daryl

PostPosted: 4/2/2010, 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I did this years ago, it's a blast! Strongly suggest, well worth the price of admission.
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/2/2010, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, it's fun! I try to go every year or two.

Ambika, you still thinking about it?
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/5/2010, 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Less than one week to go! Suz has already gone on hers, and had a blast! The river is at a pretty good level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: