ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Missing Hikers Remains Found

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deborah

PostPosted: 1/31/2010, 6:52 am    Post subject: Missing Hikers Remains Found Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dwight Riggs, long time member of SAHC , disappeared from his home on Jan 26, 2009. Search and Rescue spent 1 or 2 days looking then turned the case over to the Sherriff as a missing persons case. No indication that foul play had been done, but his backpack was still at home.
Many of us had wondered what had happened to Dwight and as we hiked in the Canyons near his home we had thoughts about what had happened.
On Jan 17, 2010 a hunter found some remains in a canyon near his home.
Dwight loved to hike off trail and had created his own trail system above his house.
The remains were confirmed as Dwight this weekend. He was found only miles North of his home.
Suz

PostPosted: 1/31/2010, 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Deborah---thanks for posting. Any ideas what happened?

I'm curious to know the man's age. Again--another one of those sad stories that sort of stir up a bunch of emotions at the same time.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 1/31/2010, 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
I'm curious to know the man's age.

http://www.pimasheriff.org/Page/2853/Show.aspx

He is described as white, 5 feet 11, with gray hair and blue eyes. He weighs more than 300 pounds.

Friends told deputies that Riggs has medical problems, but Barkman said she was not able to learn what they are.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Deborah

PostPosted: 1/31/2010, 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yes, dwight was pretty heavy. I just think he went for a hike outside his house, maybe wasn't feeling good and had a heart attack. He may have been in the process of having a heart attack when he started hiking. The last time I saw him was November of 2007 and he could hardly hike due to plantar faciatis. I don't think it was sucide since he was active in the archeology community and he had told his friends see you on Tuesday the previous friday. He was 61 years old. Nice guy with a good sense of humor. I am glad their was closure, since we had wondered where he would be found.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: