ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Dutchman Trail - All 18 Miles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(7) (2) (2)
User
GTG
Shawn
kurthzone
Hikngrl
smyers
jmzblond
windymesa
User
outside1
azbackpackr
User
Trishness
oliverr99
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Shawn
PostPosted: 1/3/2010, 6:14 pm    Post subject: The Dutchman Trail - All 18 Miles Reply with quote

The scheduling committee convened and picked Sunday, Feb. 21, as the time to repeat this Epic Adventure. We'll go from Perata to First Water, just like last time. While the route lacks lung-busting grades, it is long, with no bail out options, so give this some serious thought before committing.

We'll refine the start time as we get closer but plan on early. Any "car trick angels" out there who want to assist with the shuttle will be greatly appreciated, and if I survive trip, I'll buy your meal after the hike.

To participate at a more reasonable level, consider hiking in and joining us from First Water

http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=569

Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/22/2010, 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, I think I am warm now! (note it is the following morning!) I regret not taking my rain pants as I think with those I would have been much better off. Though by the end of the hike my everything was soaked straight through despite rain precip jacket. My feet stayed nice and cozy till my soaked legs started dripping INTO my shoes then they were wet too and I no longer needed to watch where I walked because it didn't matter...

By the time we convened under the leaky tree I was miserable and ready to head out. When they said the options were the 6 miles back the way we came or the 12 miles in front of us and finish or the 3 miles out Bluff Springs my vote was obvious. When we made it back to the TH my hands didn't hurt any more cause I had taken my soaked water proof gloves off and then my hands started to thaw but my feet hurt....

In the end good decisions were made and we could all say it was an adventure (thank goodness it didn't have to be dubbed a disaster!). To try it again on a less rainy and cold day would be fun if anyone is up to it. Thanks for putting this one together Shawn! Sorry you missed the Los Gringos afterward! It was yummy! I had beautiful chicken tortilla soup!

I want to shine!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 2/22/2010, 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad you all got a chance to get out and and were able to do Some of the trail you wanted to do. Sounds like you had some fun anyway, even if the rain dampened the whole trek.
Bet you saw some beautiful water running. Maybe someone was able to get some pictures.

Just curious how was the drive Out from the FW? Lots of low spots with water that runs through. And nice to know everyone is out safe and sound for another time.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/22/2010, 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am sorry, I failed to mention the millions of small waterfalls every where you looked! It was indeed beautiful! It was when the trail it's slef turne dinto one of those water falls it became a bit uncomfortable! Laughing

I want to shine!
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/22/2010, 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was in the West Valley, Laveen Country Challenge, cycling event. Check the radar at it was clearing though raining at my home home in Gold Canyon. I waited to depart home 1/2 hour and the rain stopped. Heading westbound it started raining about Stapley all the way to Laveen. It quite raining when I arrived but started as we departed for the 32 mile ride. It rained the first 12 miles and did not rain until I started for home and it poured. The upside was Rennie traffic was light on my way home. I was wondering how you folks were doing on the SWA hike. I stayed warm and dry and did not over heat with my cycling clothing, Canari jersey, Pearl Izumi shorts and pants outershell, Polarmax underjersey and underarmour socks. This winters rain and snow has brought some challenges for outdoor activities if not properly prepared and clothed but its pretty neat out back with this weather.
threedogz

PostPosted: 2/22/2010, 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Friends and I hiked the Hackberry Springs loop yesterday. Saw some of your vehicles at the trail head. We were soaked when we finished, but it was so beautiful with all the running water. We witnessed a stream that began with a clear trickle and turn into a rushing muddy gush. Pretty cool!

Wildflowers should be great this year.
windymesa

PostPosted: 2/22/2010, 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

wanderingsoul asked:
Just curious how was the drive Out from the FW? Lots of low spots with water that runs through.

The normally dry creek bed that goes over the First Water TH road a half dozen times was starting to move a little water about 12:00 noon when we left... about half a tire deep or less at that time... where there was no flowage in the morning at 5:30 am that I remember.

This rainy desert hike was like being transported to the Wind River Range... hiking above timberline for days at a time. It was really wonderful to see water, water everywhere.. the sound of rushing streams, water falls, and ribbons of water coming down the cliffs. First time I have forgotten my camera on a hike... maybe because it was so dark when we started, I couldn't see it.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/22/2010, 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The alt hikers started at FW around 9 AM......not much water in the washes on the drive in. Our intention was to do the Black Mesa Loop but by the time we got to Garden Valley we were all soaked. It would rain really hard, then tease us by stopping for 10 minutes. We were going to go down to Boulder Canyon but the entire descent was nothing but mud so we turned around there. Coincidentally, we arrived back at FW around noon so caught up with the Full Dutchman crew which worked out well since no one had to sit around and wait.

As windymesa said....the drive out was considerably more water in the washes.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: