ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Dutchman Trail - All 18 Miles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(7) (2) (2)
User
GTG
Shawn
kurthzone
Hikngrl
smyers
jmzblond
windymesa
User
outside1
azbackpackr
User
Trishness
oliverr99
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Shawn
PostPosted: 1/3/2010, 6:14 pm    Post subject: The Dutchman Trail - All 18 Miles Reply with quote

The scheduling committee convened and picked Sunday, Feb. 21, as the time to repeat this Epic Adventure. We'll go from Perata to First Water, just like last time. While the route lacks lung-busting grades, it is long, with no bail out options, so give this some serious thought before committing.

We'll refine the start time as we get closer but plan on early. Any "car trick angels" out there who want to assist with the shuttle will be greatly appreciated, and if I survive trip, I'll buy your meal after the hike.

To participate at a more reasonable level, consider hiking in and joining us from First Water

http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=569

Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 2/18/2010, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

THE PLAN

Trish will be available to pick 5 hikers up at First Water and take them to Peralta, probably sometime around 3:30, give or take.

I'll have my vehicle there and will be able to take 4 in seats, five if someone wants to sit in the back with the packs, more if you want to sit on laps, back to Peralta when we finish.

Todd and Diane have themselves and smyers covered, so all the definites are covered, and maybe the tentatives.

Therefore, let's meet at Peralta at 6:00 AM for a pre-dawn-watch-the-sun-come-up-over-the-desert start!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/18/2010, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The alt hikers think they'll be done between 2:00-2:30 and then I have to bring them back to their vehicles in Mesa at Crismon and the 60. So I''ll take them there and come back to FW to get the through hikers to get them back to Peralta which is why I'm thinking it'll be 3:30 PM when I get back to FW. Be patient...I'll get there.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 2/19/2010, 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As much as I've been looking forward to this hike, I think it would behoove me to get some rest this weekend as I've been fighting a sinus infection now for over a month. Finally went to the doc yesterday and he put me on a stong anti-biotic for the next ten days.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/19/2010, 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lots of traffic on US 60 Eastbound due to the Rennie Festival. Traffic has been backed uped as far as Signal Butte. Westbound has lots of traffic as well. Have a good hike.
Shawn

PostPosted: 2/19/2010, 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SkyIslandHiker wrote:
As much as I've been looking forward to this hike, I think it would behoove me to get some rest this weekend as I've been fighting a sinus infection now for over a month. Finally went to the doc yesterday and he put me on a stong anti-biotic for the next ten days.

Well be thinking about you, and will have an extra combo plate of mexican food afterwards. Get well.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 2/19/2010, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have fun and be careful. I'm working (recovery room) on Saturday and don't want to see any of you! Wink
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/19/2010, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great to see you George! I doubt you'll see any of us in the RR this weekend and hopefully not in the ER either

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 2/19/2010, 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry I can't help with the car tricks this go around. You all have a Great day and Hike. It was just soo beautiful.

The way I figure it 20% chance of showers, I don't think you'll get rained on, but good to be prepared. and the 60's will be great hiking weather especially if it is sunny out. Hope the water is flowing for you all and maybe even some flowers?

Looks to be a great hike for you all.. have Fun!

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/20/2010, 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, it is looking like the camping thing tonight isn't gonna be such a good idea so we are gonna do the drive. We do intend to be at Peralta TH at 0600 though so we shall see you all in the AM! Still looking forward to this hike!!!! Come on sunshine!!!!

I want to shine!
Shawn

PostPosted: 2/20/2010, 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I"m in too, Dave will be bringing me from FW. Gotta go find the umbrella.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 2/20/2010, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was out their all day today, rain, hail, sun, wet, wet, wet, it was fantastic. Take your rain gear and your good to go. Might bump into you tomorrow.
twooutbackers

PostPosted: 2/20/2010, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

2/20
It looks like we are not going to be able to make it on your Superstitions Cross-Trek.
Sounds like a lot of FUN!!!!

Hope all have a great hike!

Twooutbackers
Shawn

PostPosted: 2/21/2010, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The objective was the full Dutchman's Trail #104. The group got off to a beautiful early start in the mist; the skies lightened and the mountains appeared draped in clouds. We were making good time across Barkley Basin, then started up towards Wiskey Pass. At the slick rock just short of the pass, the rain started in earnest. We geared up and kept going, as did the rain. At Bluff Springs we grouped up under a leaky tree and reconsidered. The sky was dark, the rain was heavy, we were soaked, some of us were getting pretty cold-not a good combination at these temps. Knowing full well that if we bailed the rain would stop, if we went on it would contine, the group decision was to head back to the TH via Bluff Springs trail. The rain came and went, came and went. The creeks were running fast and cold, and portions of the trail were running deep. We saw what looked like smoke in the drainage just east of William's Camp; looked like someone's campfire but it's unlikely there was enough dry material to burn. The head of Bark's Canyon was running white, very nice to see that much water in the desert. We had to pick carefully to cross some places, or get wet feet.

A great day in the wild, in spite of the rain and altered plans.
beckett

PostPosted: 2/21/2010, 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a great adventure! And that you made some good decisions out there! Hope someone got some pictures. I couldn't believe how green it was on our hike today! Wonderful that the desert is getting rain it needs.

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/21/2010, 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like an adventure indeed .... Glad you all got out there nonetheless! Its always nice to see water in the Supes.... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: