ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Dutchman Trail - All 18 Miles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(7) (2) (2)
User
GTG
Shawn
kurthzone
Hikngrl
smyers
jmzblond
windymesa
User
outside1
azbackpackr
User
Trishness
oliverr99
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Shawn
PostPosted: 1/3/2010, 6:14 pm    Post subject: The Dutchman Trail - All 18 Miles Reply with quote

The scheduling committee convened and picked Sunday, Feb. 21, as the time to repeat this Epic Adventure. We'll go from Perata to First Water, just like last time. While the route lacks lung-busting grades, it is long, with no bail out options, so give this some serious thought before committing.

We'll refine the start time as we get closer but plan on early. Any "car trick angels" out there who want to assist with the shuttle will be greatly appreciated, and if I survive trip, I'll buy your meal after the hike.

To participate at a more reasonable level, consider hiking in and joining us from First Water

http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=569

oliverr99

PostPosted: 2/14/2010, 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish, I like to join you for the hike on the black mesa loop. I love that hike and have not done it this year. Let me know time. Thanks!
randy883

PostPosted: 2/14/2010, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll be thinking of you guys, and would have joined you, but I'll be doing the Ridgeline that day. Between us, we'll have the western Supes covered!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/15/2010, 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Todd and Sandy and I are going to be camping Saturday night at LDSP as we will be on that side of town during the day on Saturday and don't want to do the drive back and forth so many times that weekend.

With that said we need to make sure Sandy can meet up with Trish at First Water TH for the alternate hike then get our selves over to Peralta for the early start of the long hike.

It is our hope that we can get some one to pick us up at LDSP and get us over to Peralta so we can leave Todd's truck with Sandy to get her over to First Water. That way everyone gets to do do the right hike.... Smyers is a friend of Todd's from work whom we are hoping to con into doing the car tricks with us.

Not sure what time we will actually get to camp as we have plans that don't start till 2:00 so we may be getting there after dark. Not surprisning of us I guess...

This is gonna be a fun one! Can't wait to see every one! It has been a while! Let's hike!

I want to shine!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/15/2010, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I haven't noticed a start time. Not that I'm likely to make it. I need to convince some other people from my area to be crazy hikers too, so I'd have someone to carpool with...
windymesa

PostPosted: 2/16/2010, 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lost Dutchman SP will be open this weekend (it is scheduled to close June 3, 2010). I may camp there Saturday night as well in order to make an early, near sunrise start time since I live in Peoria. I looked at Ambika's Garmin track log... she averaged 2 miles per hour, started at 6:45am, and was out by 7:15 pm. I will bring my flashlight, lots of power bars, moleskin, ibuprofen, super blanket, sil-tarp, SPOT, water purification tablets, a blow-up lounge chair, and a deck of cards in case I need to spend the night along the trail. Sunrise is at 7:12 am, sunset at 6:13 pm.
Suz

PostPosted: 2/16/2010, 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Don't forget your floaties!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 2/16/2010, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Since no car trick fairy has materialized, it appears we’ll have to do this ourselves.

Dave WindyMesa has offered to hike from First Water to Peralta and drive a vehicle back to First Water. I’m willing to join him, which if everyone else can group into two vehicles, can solve the shuttle issue.

To do that, how about we meet at the 4 Son’s gas station, on Idaho Road, just north of the US 60, at 6:00 AM? (If anyone knows a better place to leave excess vehicles, let us know, I just picked that place off the map because it is centrally located on the shuttle route.)

Those who want us to bring their vehicle back to First Water should have a spare key for me when we meet at the gas station, or show me where on their vehicle they will hide the key. Then everyone piles into the two vehicles going to Peralta and I’ll go meet Dave at First Water and get after it.

This suggestion is open for improvement, speak up!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/17/2010, 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Folks,
You can all do much faster than 2 mph on that trail -- Think 3+. The trail is easy walking -- stream crossing will be a tad bit slower --but with less water now you may very well breeze through those sections as well.
We were exceptionally slow.
Shawn

PostPosted: 2/18/2010, 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Come folks, I'm retired, I have way too much time to worry about this stuff. Talk to me about the shuttle, or is it everyone for themselves? Confused
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/18/2010, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn, I think Shawn and I and my step mom and Smyers are covered... if reality is different from what I think I will let you know but I think we are good! As for every one else, I don't know....

I want to shine!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/18/2010, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn,

Sorry I can't help with the shuttle in the AM....I've got my hands full with the alternate hikers! However, I will be waiting with Diane's Stepmom at First Water after the alternate hike and can bring people back to Peralta to get their cars if that helps out. I can fit 4 cozily in the X-Terra....5 if one person rides in the cargo area.

Just a suggestion though because you mentioned 4 Sons on Idaho Road as a place to leave excess vehicles. There is VERY little parking there but there is a Waffle House just on the other side of it that appears to have more parking.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Shawn

PostPosted: 2/18/2010, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bless You Trish!

Is that 5 plus you and Stepmom, or you folks and 3?

Thanks a million!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/18/2010, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn....I'll be waiting at FW with Diane's stepmom Sandy. Sandy will go with Diane/Todd and their group so I have 4 seats plus one person in the cargo area for the trip back to Peralta. That's me plus 5. I'll have a cooler plus daypacks in the cargo area so I'll need a small person back there. That's the best I can offer right now and I'm only making ONE trip from FW to Peralta since it is 20+ miles. Just an FYI...Peralta Road was not all that great when I was there a month ago after all those heavy rains and I doubt it has improved any since then (unless they graded it). The washes were especially bad.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Shawn

PostPosted: 2/18/2010, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks again. I'm checking to see if I can get a ride in the AM from First Water to Peralta, so my vehicle (which holds me plus 4 or 5) will be there as well. If I can that should cover us, eliminating the need for the group meet-up somewhere on the way. I'll post as soon as hear back.

What's the name of that little Mexican food dive in AJ, Los Gringos Loco's? not very fancy, but good and plenty of food?

Bring rain gear just in case:

Saturday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 45. Breezy, with a west wind 8 to 15 mph becoming southeast. Winds could gust as high as 23 mph.

Sunday: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 60.

Over cast should make for great pic's all day long!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/18/2010, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Los Gringos Locos which is on Phelps Drive off the AZ Trail. Let me know what the final plan is. I've PM'd you also.

Mr. Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: