ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
10 Essentials...revised
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiz

PostPosted: 12/4/2003, 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Don't listen to 'em, ck1!
I always carry plenty of fod and wter. At least three, sometimes more.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/4/2003, 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Wiz,

When are you going to get your old, scruffy derrier out on the trails with us?
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 12/4/2003, 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: 10 Essentials...revised Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
Sande J wrote:
Mike wrote:
I can honestly say I've never carried any fod or wter on a hike. Even an overnighter or epic!! Laughing

Oh so that explains why I came up with some missing food and water on the West Fork epic... Laughing

Anyone else get the feeling that one went waay over Sande's head?

Ok

Yes I think she missed this...
ck1 originally wrote:
-Extra fod and wter

Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/4/2003, 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

WAY OVER!

I want to shine!
plummer150

PostPosted: 12/4/2003, 8:46 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Or a dozen or so of 'em!

Agreed!
Wiz

PostPosted: 12/4/2003, 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
Hey Wiz,

When are you going to get your old, scruffy derrier out on the trails with us?

Hiker, I'm a man who walks alone, to the beat of a different drummer. An American original, I can't be tamed. The lonely trail is my home...

OK OK, the BS-ometer is going off the scale. Actually I am on the trails at the same time sometimes. Just different trails. But I live a long way from the rest of you, and my hiking/camping schedule is pretty scant. One of these days I hope to connect with you guys, if you don't mind sharing the trail with a well-armed scruffy old guy.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 12/4/2003, 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mind? hell, I'd beel BETTER if the "well armed scruffy old guy" was with us...
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 12/10/2003, 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For me the essential items are not one item that are placed on a list of what is suggested that a person have. I utilise a systems approach, first aid kit, navigation aids, etc.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/28/2003, 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can't believe so many don't have sunglasses. Laughing
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 12/28/2003, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've never worn sunglasses, I hates 'em, so I wear a wide brim hat instead.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/28/2003, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

matt gilbert wrote:
I've never worn sunglasses, I hates 'em, so I wear a wide brim hat instead.

An extremely stained one at that. When are you planning to clean that grimey thing. Gross.

Eeeeeew.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/28/2003, 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Can't really slam on that fact I guess. I emit more salt than you could ever dream of on a margarita glass I guess. What a D.H.

Cool
pfredricks

PostPosted: 12/28/2003, 2:46 pm    Post subject: my weirdo ideas Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have some weirdo hiking philosophies-Every single item I carry has been analyzed many times over for weight, necessity, redundancy and durability. I think that these items have been pretty well tried out. Also, I reason the lighter you are , the less likely you are to hurt or injure yourself by being off balance or overloaded, etc. If you move more quickly and naturally, you will not fatigue as easily and need as much food and water.
Some people just carry less to accomplish that. How about these ideas?
If this thread is talking about dayhikes instead of backcountry, here are some alternatives-
1.(micro bic lighter) I think firestarters are silly- why pack around a metal bar?
Instead, use a tiny bic lighter- they NEVER fail and are about a million times easier to light and use and are way faster to light --Go ahead, wash and dry one in the washer and dryer. It will still work

2.(nalgene bottle) I like to divide my water up into different containers instead of all in one container. I drink the least reliable first.
example, drink the camelback, then the nalgene. Camelbacks are more likely to lose bite valve or puncture. If one fails, i still have some left and something to carry some more in.
3.bandana
4.waterproof LED headlamp-can get wet and will last days-still working!
5. GPS (GPS and headlamp should use same size batteries for backup-or swap if needed)
6. knife-fixed blade
7. simple first aid kit- most things in first aid kit can be improvised(eg bandages-see bandana) Essentials are tweezers, tape, benedryl, aspirin (for heart) and ibuprofen and my inhaler
8.hat (and bandana for cover)
9. extra clothes and hat can cover instead of sunscreen-put sunscreen on at trailhead-lightweight breathable long sleeve shirt can be comfortable during the days and very warm at night.
10. High grade plastic whistle, (without the ball inside)
11. Eyeprotection should be carried in the snow or desert-blocks UV which can do in the eyes
12. Space BAG not blanket
13. Salty snacks if sweating-thwarts little known hyponatremia problem
SEE TOM'S BANDANA FOR EVIDENCE!!!!
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/28/2003, 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt, you must have neutral density filters in your eyeballs. Mr. Green I would go blind out there without the darkest prescription possible.

pfredricks, I like everything in your post but this.

pfredricks wrote:
1.(micro bic lighter) I think firestarters are silly- why pack around a metal bar?
Instead, use a tiny bic lighter- they NEVER fail and are about a million times easier to light and use and are way faster to light --Go ahead, wash and dry one in the washer and dryer. It will still work

They do fail. Not often but I have seen it. Just let something accidentally push on the gas button and any fire stating cababilities are history. It will empty out. I haven't used them in extreme cold but would suggest trying that as well. The most sure way of getting a fire is with a ferrocium rod and vaseline cotton balls. I always use my Bic first because it is the easiest but not as reliable as the ferro rod/cotton ball trick. Why not carry a redundant fire starting system. I think it is important enough.
pfredricks

PostPosted: 12/28/2003, 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glenn-
I'm 100% behind you on the fire being important-that's why I suggest the bic OVER the firestarter. Okay okay, there's no such thing as never. But you do have to admit that the chances of the spring loaded lever being depressed and completely unloading the lighter is extremely rare. I would much rather take my chances on a Bic than a firestarter-Have you ever tried to start a fire with those things? It is a bit tough.

I have heard of your method, but I dont know what the heck it is. Can you tell me what that ferrocium rod is? Iron something.

Sometimes I carry two of those tiny Bic lighters
sometimes "strike anywhere" matches (not waterproof-they are hard to light) in a waterproof container
and my stove has a Piezo ignition.
Good tidings
-Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: