ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Sedona 2009

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 10/27/2009, 6:24 am    Post subject: Sedona 2009 Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had a timeshare at Sedona Pines last week. The October/November time frame is my favorite for Sedona. Some fall color and hiking temperatures are quite reasonable. It was very good to be able to get up early and be at the trailheads in 20 to 30 minutes. Here are links to some of the pictures I have posted on Webshots.

Honanki & Palatki Ruins – Popular Sinagua Indian ruins that I visited for the first time.

Brins Mesa – A scenic loop hike on Brins Mesa. A Little over 8 miles but not too difficult.

Boynton Canyon – A 10 mile hike in Boynton Canyon that goes off-trail after 2.2 miles. Invented by HAZ’s owner, Joe Bartels, I took his hike a little farther to a saddle with great viewpoints.

Devil’s Bridge – A short hike to a very popular natural bridge.

Wilson Mountain – From the north trailhead I hiked to the Sedona viewpoint then onto the true Wilson Mountain peak and finally to the Oak Creek Canyon viewpoint for a total of 10.5 miles. This marked my first visit after the fire and first visit to the true peak. I was impressed by how much green survived. This is still a great hike.

Sterling Pass & Vultee Arch – Did the steep climb to Sterling Pass from the trailhead on route 89A. Then I hiked down the mountain to visit Vultee Arch and hiked across the top of the arch and continued on the trail to the Vultee Arch trailhead. Returned the same way for and 8.5 mile hike.

I really liked staying in Sedona and may do this again.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 10/27/2009, 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Joe,

I love Sedona except for the touristy part. But once you get off on the trails the tourists all fall far behind. You did many of my favorite hikes there!

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
tibber

PostPosted: 10/28/2009, 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I liked your idea for a base camp. There are so many great hiking venues in the area that it just makes sense to hit lots of different trails over a couple days or in your case, a week. Smile

I see that you went below Devil's Bridge. After traveling down Schnebly Hill, Kat and I just did the top part of the bridge and then headed to Red Rock Crossing. Depending on the weather around Thanksgiving, I plan to take my niece to Devil's Bridge and we'll try and catch the view from below. We've already done Vultee's Arch. But that road there is brutal!!! Crazy
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 10/28/2009, 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

tibber wrote:
We've already done Vultee's Arch. But that road there is brutal!!!

One advantage of doing Vultee's Arch from the Sterling Pass trailhead is not having to drive that dirt road. But it is a much more strenuous route starting immediately with a 1,100 foot climb to the Pass. But I think it is more scenic as well.

When I drove the rough dirt road to the Brins Mesa and Devil's Bridge trailheads my impression was that road is not appropriate for standard sedans. There were several sedans that did it though. I guess they don't mind paying for motor mounts, springs, shocks and possibly axles. I would not take a sedan that I owned on that road.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: