ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Group hike of the month?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is there interest in a hike of the month, other then the Epic hike?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 31 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 31

Daryl

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 1:22 pm    Post subject: Group hike of the month? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Based on some of the traffic here, with the Epic crew doing a hike every month some people are feeling left out. While I enjoyed my first Epic hike and look forward to participating in future Epic adventures, maybe a "group hike of the month" is also in order?
This would be hikes of a more common nature, ranging from easy (Red Mountain) to moderate (Dutchman's-Bluff Spring loop) and a few a little more interesting (Flatiron, Picketpost, Humphries Peak...) without any intentions of breaking any land speed records and always to end up at a local eating and drinking establishment.

Who would be interested?

Who would want to help with planning/leading these things since I probably won't be able to do it every month?
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd be happy to help arrange some of these sorts of trips. I'd also be interested in arranging a couple overnight hikes, easy to moderate in nature (I'll leave the extreme overnight trips to the Epic crew, its bound to happen...)
ck1

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you Daryl. I think this is right in line. As it was getting difficult for us to create epics that appeal to everyone...

I for one think this is an excellent idea!

"The Journey is the Destination"

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think this is a wonderful idea. With 2 hikes a month that gives me an even better chance of making at least one Laughing
phrankster

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That sounds good to me too, given enough time I can try getting time off from work to join in.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great idea Daryl. It seems as though not too many folks could handle more than that on a regular basis with their schedules being the way they are. I feel bad when some folks can't swing the Epic thing for one reason, or another.

I'd be happy to help scheduling too. I think that the separate hike notification area we were talking about during the last hike would help out immensely with the planning stages. That way, loud-mouth, irritating posters like me won't confuse the issue at hand... Spinning
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Daryl, you voiced my thoughts perfectly!

I have felt at times like the song, "put me in coach" but I'm in the minor leagues! LOL!

I look forward to hiking with the people I've yet to. And the after-hike party is always great but it's nicer to be a part of the whole enchilada!!

Any way I can help with plans, car pools, etc, count on me!

Sherileeaz Hiking
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl,

Excellent idea! I'd be happy to help with any planning. (and if it's a Supes shuttle hike, you can count on Clint & his buddies to help out!) Smile

Just a thought: I've got an idea! it might be most effective to either have a committee leader for this and/or have a committee leader for each month and plan a hike for that month. That way not one person is stuck with the planning every month and with all of us living all over the Valley, it would give us some diversity in locations.

The "hike of the month" would also be a great way to keep this community close and also allow each of us to include our husbands, wives, S/O, kids....etc etc.

MATT.....you're idea of incorporating some easy overnighters is also great and would introduce some backpacking to those of us who are new to it.

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like the idea of a quarterly epic hike. Several weekend hikes and backpacking. Especially, backpacking! I'll help out any way that I can. Trish, I even have extra gear if you need to borrow anything. Mary
plummer150

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 8:09 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thats sounds awesome! Too bad I wasnt out their and too bad their are no hiking forum sites here in Pennsylvania that I know of to be a part of and to do on a monthly/ weekly hike with. Otherwise, go for it!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mary......

What a wonderful offer! I'm slowly buying up the basic equipment I need but will keep that in mind. And know if I ever need a spare pair of teeny tiny socks, I can borrow them from you! Mr. Green That is, if Rocky doesn't have first dibs!

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

plummer150 wrote:
Thats sounds awesome! Too bad I wasnt out their and too bad their are no hiking forum sites here in Pennsylvania that I know of to be a part of and to do on a monthly/ weekly hike with. Otherwise, go for it!

Plummer,

Create your own website and make it happen! Pennsylvania is a big state and has lots of wonderful trails. I bet you'd find lots of other hikers in your area that would be interested.

Trish

Shihiyea

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish, us short people....we have to hang together! What a very sad world this would be without us! Spinning on my head Mary
plummer150

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 8:25 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Plummer,

Create your own website and make it happen! Pennsylvania is a big state and has lots of wonderful trails. I bet you'd find lots of other hikers in your area that would be interested.

Thats a great idea that I have considered but I dont really have the skill and I wouldn't really know how to spread the word here in Pennsylvania. Although, I'm sure I'd be able to figure something out....ideas anyone?
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I prefer "petite" Laughing

We could share a 2 person tent and have plenty of room so there's something to be said about being barely 5'1". Of course, on the flip side we have to take 2 strides to those Amazon 6 footers when hiking just to keep up.....

"T"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: