ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Trip Log, MTB Eagar-Water Canyon-Sipe-Eagar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/1/2009, 3:18 pm    Post subject: Trip Log, MTB Eagar-Water Canyon-Sipe-Eagar Reply to topic Reply with quote

This was one dirt road mountain bike ride I had thought about doing for a long time. It turned out to be about 31 miles, with well over 1000 feet elevation gain. From my house in Eagar I rode up Water Canyon Road to Milligan Valley Road to Sipe Ranch and back home again. It's pretty steep going up Water Canyon but the rest of the route made it all worthwhile. Once I had turned off onto Milligan Valley Road (FR 85) it got pretty dreamy, with a lot of gradual coasting downhills through the forest, wildflowers, etc. I saw no vehicles once I was on FR 85. One of my rest stops was next to Rudd Creek, where there is a car campsite, a running creek, and lots of flowers. I saw only one group of people camping all along Milligan Valley Road, though. They were camped next to Benton Creek.

Directions: Starting in Eagar, ride up Water Canyon Road (FR 285) to Milligan Valley Road (FR 85), (a 7-mile, 1000-foot grind from my house near 260 and Main.)

Turning left to Milligan Valley (FR 85), follow it to Sipe Ranch. There is one Y turn you have to watch for (NOT the one you get to right away, that goes to private property.) The right hand of the Y says 85A. Take the left, which is unsigned.

Eventually, after passing the nice old log cabin, you'll get to the back gate of Sipe White Mountain Wildlife Area, owned by Game and Fish. Beautiful place. Then on out to 180. Crossing straight across 180, take the first left through a gate. This will put you onto the old highway down to Eagar. Once you are back on 180 you can ride the ATV path alongside the highway--fun bumps!

Photos in gallery.

Here's the old cabin. I can remember when it still had glass in the windows. Sad...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: