ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
New Year's Day South Mountain hike
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 11/30/2003, 8:41 pm    Post subject: New Year's Day South Mountain hike Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, what do you guys think of this for New Year's Day 2004

Trail:
South Mountain Park National Trail (East to West)

Description:
We're looking at 14.6 miles. There will be plenty of elevation gain/loss (can't find exact numbers yet). We'll start on the East side at Pima Canyon and end at the San Juan Ramada. Maybe we can add the option of doing the Marcos De Nisa Ridgeline, Pima Canyon to Hidden Valley, then hook up w/ the National trail. Due to the plethora of trails in South Mountain, this hike will allow for "less than" epic hikers to join Epic hikers for a portion of the trail.
Segmented, the hike would be...
Pima Canyon to Buena Vista Lookout (3.59 miles)
Buena Vista Lookout to Telegraph Pass (3.01 miles)
Telegraph Pass to San Juan Road (5.84 miles)
And for those really wanting a short hike San Juan Road to San Juan Ramada (1.50 miles)

There's an additional 1/2 mile extention that climbs a small peak nearby as well

Additionally....
As there is a ramada at the end of the hike, post-hike festivities could take on a whole new light!

Start time...
Well...let's talk about that....http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=846&highlight=

What do you all think?

"The Journey is the Destination"
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/30/2003, 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll do this one........ Smile

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
mike t

PostPosted: 12/1/2003, 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Potential problems: San Juan road is closed til usually about 5am. This can be averted if folks are shuttling vehicles because this hike should take you quite some time. I hike So. Mtn alot and one of my biggest headaches is getting down to San Juan point early enough because of the gate. The East end at Pima canyon will probably be closed as well (Telegraph Pass too) but would be easy enough to sneak in. Finally, the park is technically closed during some of those real early hour starts you guys are kicking around in the other poll. Sooo... you will all be breaking the law if that is a problem for anybody.

On a side note, I didn't vote on any of the polls cuz like srlatty I haven't been on any of them yet so I don't feel like I should have a say (though I wish I could have been on all of them- things just haven't fallen into place for me to attend) BUT one other thing you all might consider would be to do a night hike somewhere that you are hiking at midnight. This way you could hike on New Years Day but still technically have started the Epic in December!!! Just a thought. I will be working New Years eve and Day so cannot attend this grand idea of mine. Therefore, feel free to ignore the entire idea if you wish.
Daryl

PostPosted: 12/1/2003, 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My $.02... Breaking a law, after you posted the times and locations that you will be doing in on the internet, is probably not a good idea.

On another note:
This is something I've wanted to do since I left Wisconsin and may be a suggestion for the next (after this one) Epic. A full moon night hike in the snow (if we should be lucky enough to have snow in Feb) in the Flagstaff area or on the rim!

PostPosted: 12/1/2003, 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We offered up the National trail as an epic on new years to allow for the best of both words in that it's not far from anyone's home yet offers a hike of distance and elevation. The park is staying open later at night because they offer ranger led night hikes. Generally if they do close the gates, the exit gate remains open. I'm not sure if we can work out the legistics for this one if the group concensus is to hike during the night...in which case we'd need an alternative route...another option could be a hike in the Goldfields that Mike and I have recently become aware of, but we have limited info, aside from the distance 10+ miles and the fact that it's a ridgeline hike...we can do a bit more research on that if the group opinion is that National trail wouldn't work out...

What does the epic crew think? Please chime in...are there other suggestions?

PostPosted: 12/1/2003, 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I haven't earned the right to be part of the Epic crew yet but I like the idea of a hike in the early a.m. May sound silly but I'd want to be home around midnight-1 am to make sure my kids are home alright. There is no reason I won't make Epic hike#4. Many kinks have been worked out of my life and I plan on being there with bells on.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/1/2003, 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Some time ago I looked into a permit to be in the park after hours. It can be done, but I don't recall the details.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

To be honest Colin, I really don't consider the idea to be Epic by design. I would consider that to be more of a "First annual AZH New Year's eve" hike.

I also feel kind of bad that there are a few folks that don't feel "up to snuff" to partake in the Epic hikes. The hikes are supposed to push the envelope. A sit back and think to yourself "can I really do this?" kind of hike.

Am I wrong in thinking that way?
phrankster

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd really like to join in on the epic hikes sometime. unfortunately I work Saturdays (regardless of holidays)and usually can't get the day off. Trying to get time off for the New Years hike (I live close to South Mountain) so I can get in on the fun.
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd like it to be a New Year's hike where all can do this.
I think this should be a hike that we have all the hikers together so we
truly celebrate the New Year together with everyone.
Let's give the Epic-less hikers a chance to be in this.
I don't know how to word this other than saying that we know the Epic's can
pretty much do anything, but the Epic-less are the ones trying to push themselves so they can hike with the Epic's one day. But this takes time, so couldn't the Epic's make an exception this one time to make it a hike where everyone can join together as a group. A true New Year's party.

For me, I need the pace slowed down, I know I can't hike 3.0, or even 2.5, I average 2 mph. Distance isn't a problem for me, but constant elevation gain slows me down. I'll admit I'm the newest hiker, least experienced, pretty old (shut up TOM!!) so maybe someone will take pity?? LOL I don't want to be left out of this New Year's hike if possible. Also I know a few others that want to be a part of this but feel it may be over their heads.

Just my .02 cents worth. I'll sit quietly now and wait to see who decides on what. Thanks. BTW, I love being a greeter, so what ever is decided I'll work with it. All of you are super people! I wished I was at the Epic level, sigh... pout...

Sherileeaz Hiking
roger

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Colin,

A few comments and questions regarding the South Mount. hike.

-Jan 1 is a Thurs., some may have to work on Friday, so my 2 cents is that if we do the hike, we should start early AM (3 or 4:30) as suggested so that hikers can get home at a reasonable time to prepare for Fri.

-I think one can get permits to enter the park early.

-Any additional info on the hike? any idea the time it would take to finish (for the average hiker), has anyone done this hike?? what is the elevation gain??
paintninaz

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
Am I wrong in thinking that way?

Rolling Eyes Tom, Tom, Tom, do you intentionally set yourself up with these questions, or what? Wink

Ok, perhaps by our original definition of EPIC:
ck1 wrote:
Ok, so our EPIC hike should have the following characteristics...

1. Physically challenging
2. mentally challenging
3. bonds participants socially
4. pretty as hell.
5. very large or heroic: impressive by virtue of greatness of size, scope, or heroism
a scandal of epic proportions
6. with a heightened sense of danger and adventure

this doesn't fall into that design for some of you, but you never REALLY know what's in store in any given hike now do you? After all, the WFW was only considered to be EPIC hike #1 AFTER you guys all did it...sure you knew it was going to be a long hike, but you had no forewarning of what it ended up truly being. Just goes to show...anything can happen! Eek

Besides for some it will be.....1.) Physically challenging

and we'd definitely cover.....3.) bonds participants socially Very Happy

and if we get to see the sunrise...4.) pretty as hell

and if it's....... 6.) a heightened sense of danger and adventure you're looking for...I'll let Rocky search your truck for that missing salmon and hang out with you for a day or so! rofl

And heck, if all else fails...
HikerInGilbert wrote:
I would consider that to be more of a "First annual AZH New Year's eve" hike.

This would be ok too! Agree

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
ck1

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom, you're not wrong in your thinking. I know I felt as though the alst hike, while long, wasn't quite "as epic" as the two previous. So here's the issue (which might be addressed by Daryls "hike of the month" which I haven't read yet)

Perhaps the new years thing becomes more a hike of the month, thus removing the issue of start time and park rules, and allowing anyone to participate.

We've been trying to create an epic that appeals to everyone,and that might not be the case, we might need to just focus on finding the hike, then seeing who's up for it...does that make sense?

I mean, there's no reason why we can't do a national trail hike (of any distance) and then an epic at another time. Perhaps trying to do an epic a month is too much.

When I think epic, I think "holy sh_t!)...I don't know that National Trail makes me think that, but again, we were trying to find something that appealed to everyone, which might not be the right approach.

Are ya'all with me....

sidhayes

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Colin, you are right, I believe, in thinking that perhaps that trying to plan a hike that appeals to everyone, risks not appealing to anyone.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 12/2/2003, 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Colin, you may have to start limiting the epic hikes to a broader interval, like every other month, or 4 per year, or something like that. I wasn't able to go on the other two epics but I can imagine what you mean when you say this one was long but not quite epic. For an 18 mile hike, it was fairly easy. No real elevation change or rough terrain. So it won't be long until you start to run out of new epic ideas. Theres only so many 'epic' trails in the area, especially when you start setting the standard higher and higher. I'm tempted to suggest off-trail style epics, (thats really what I think of when I think 'challenging hike') but a group of more than 3-4 is too damaging to the terrain, so that defeats the purpose of everyone getting together (what were there 15 people?).

On a side note about the epic hike, you guys do realize that the epitome of the Epic hike in Arizona may well be the Arizona Trail. So, shouldn't that be the ultimate goal (or at least, an eventual goal) of the epic crew?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: