ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Close Hikes with Cool Weather

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyclingNurse

PostPosted: 6/30/2009, 11:18 am    Post subject: Close Hikes with Cool Weather Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I am new here and can't bring myself to wake up at 5 am to go hiking in 100 degree weather. Are there any awesome hikes close to Phoenix that would have cooler weather? I was noticing Prescott seems to be an hour away and there is a brewery there.

I would appreciate any suggestions. I am wanting to go hiking this weekend.

~Heidi
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 6/30/2009, 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Horton Creek, See Canyon East of Payson. Little further Blue Ridge Area, AZ Trail Segment, East Clear Creek near Clints Well.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/30/2009, 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's a great list to start with!

I want to shine!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 6/30/2009, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Heidi,

You might want to look into Mormon Mountain and as Nighthiker suggested...anything up on the Rim near East Clear Creek....Kinder Crossing, Fred Haught Trail, Houston Brothers or any of the Cabin Loop trails (U-bar or Barbershop). East Clear Creek area is about 2.5 hours from Phoenix.

Another area to consider is the Pinal Mountains out in Globe.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 7/7/2009, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Review the July issue of Phoenix Magazine, take note of the Backwoods Creeks.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 7/7/2009, 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I bought that magazine last week. That particular hike looks nice. Someone, please do the hike and let me know, or us know!
When I went to the Houston Brothers Trail, the Barbershop Trail was closed due to controlled fire in the area. Just an FYI
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 7/7/2009, 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

oliverr99 wrote:
I bought that magazine last week. That particular hike looks nice. Someone, please do the hike and let me know, or us know!
When I went to the Houston Brothers Trail, the Barbershop Trail was closed due to controlled fire in the area. Just an FYI

I'll be doing a Cabin Loop backpack in Sept with some other gals so let me know when you are available. PM me.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/8/2009, 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Back to the original question, aren't Payson and Globe a lot closer to the Valley than Prescott? Driving up to the top of the Pinals by Globe gets you out of the heat pretty well. Also there are the Bradshaws, Crown King area--that's pretty close, isn't it? Long dirt road to get there, though.

That's why I prefer Tucson to Phoenix. Mt. Lemmon sooo close!
sbkelley

PostPosted: 7/8/2009, 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Catalina Highway to the top of Mt. Lemmon gets you up in the pines and the drive is spectacular itself. Wilderness of Rocks loop is an idea.
CyclingNurse

PostPosted: 7/8/2009, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I bought the Phoenix magazine and there are some great sounding trails in there as well as pictures!!

Hike number 2, Smith Ravine in Prescott looks nice, think I will try that this weekend. It looks pretty close.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just came back from a camping trip near Clints Well. Large managed fies in the area AZ Trail (Battleground Ridge Area was/is closed. Another fire west of Clints Well made the area smokey near FS 615 so I was unable to vist the area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: