ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Pine Mt Wilderness November GHOTM; Sunday, 11/1/09
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(11) (0)
User
Shawn
beckett
desertgirl
Hnak
randy883
Mich08elle
Suz
paintninaz
claughlin
Tom Treks
wanderingsoul
User
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Shawn
PostPosted: 6/7/2009, 1:39 pm    Post subject: Pine Mt Wilderness November GHOTM; Sunday, 11/1/09 Reply with quote

In deference to some potential scheduling conflicts, and to ensure sufficiently cool weather, I propose a later date than what was discussed on the interest thread. Hopefully Halloween partying doesn't preempt "morning after" hiking for too many in this group.

This hike is north of town off the Dugas Road interchange, which is just north of Cordes Junction on I-17, then ~15 miles of gravel, some rough, east to the rather minimal trail head. A couple years ago there was an old outhouse there, maybe some tables, but that is all. There would be filterable water a short ways in from the creek. The hike begins along the stream, climbs to the top of Pine Mountain, then continues along the ridgeline, finally dropping and looping back to the entrance route.

Short loop is ~9 miles, longer is ~12 with some route finding requirements. I intend to do the longer route. The toughest part is a short but steep section just before the top.

http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=290

Let's meet at the Denny's parking lot, southwest quadrant of I-17 and Bell, at 7:00 AM. We'll leave there at 7:15.

The route/map is:

Access map is:

http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=290[img][/img]

desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/31/2009, 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am almost ready to head out ....Catch ya'll at the cabin!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 11/1/2009, 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice hike! Thanks for putting this one together Shawn! Agree

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/1/2009, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep, great hike, Shawn.

Bit of a bumby ride out there, but a great location.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 11/1/2009, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for coming out, it was good to see everyone again. What's next?
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/1/2009, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great hike Shawn -- It was great doing the long loop! Very Happy
Randy -- Thanks for setting up the cabin thing -- That was a blast! As was your awesome coffee roast! ( You missed some awesome coffee Tracy!)
Yes -- What's next ?
beckett

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It was wonderful being out with a big group of hikers! Thanks Shawn for setting up this hike...great area!

Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Suz

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn--thanks for coordinating another successful group event. It was a good time. Felt nice to be on a "regular" trail again instead of a wild bushwhack! Sorry I took off before some of you got finished (hung out and ate as much as I could but needed to get on the road).....wanted to stop and visit my friend Kelly before it got much later.

Randy--the resort was awesome, thanks for coordinating it. I'm still ultra curious about the resort's basement and those sounds from down there!?! Loved ALL of the food! Ambika hope you make that yummy rice dish again soon. The chicken burritos were perfect for dinner, breakfast and again after the hike Smile

Cindy great to meet you.........and good to see everyone else---seems like it has been so long...we really should play together more often Smile

Cell phone has the kiss of death white screen Sad

Looking forward to seeing everyone's pictures.
claughlin

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

great hike! i enjoyed meeting a couple of new people and reconnecting with those of you i saw on groom creek earlier this year!

shawn - great hike. it was more even more beautiful than i thought it was going to be. and what awesome weather you ordered!

randy - what a great idea with the cabin! that was a perfect way to spend halloween.

suz - that white screen of death doesn't sound very good...
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I love this hike. Did it years ago. Unfortuantely my truck is being worked on, so no wheels. I am not sure if this still holds true, but YEARS ago, one of our old party buddies married the gal whose family owns the whole land area including the Nelson place ,etc. They were ranchers. When I told him where I was going, he said "that's my wife's family's acerage." Can't recall their name. The view from the top of the ridge was magnificent and the loop was a great little trek.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Aww -- I am feeling the 13.6 miles Confused That was a great training loop for my backpack later in the month.
Hnak

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It was a great hike, thanks to Shawn for putting it together! Also, thanks for the ride in (and to Suz for the ride out). It was probably a good thing I did that, when I filled up in Cordes Junction, I put 19.25 gallons in a 20 gallon tank... I also realized that when I did this hike 30 years ago, I was somewhat younger... Rolling Eyes

All in all, a great time!!
randy883

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn - thanks for posting this great hike! It was fun checking out a new area for me.

Cindy, Ambika, Guru, and Suz + Sadie - thanks for joining me at the cabin. It was really was as good on the inside as it looked on the outside.

A real nice weekend it was!
bigfoot

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn, many thanks for putting this together. Randy, Thanks for the cabin arrangements.....and lets not forget the awesome COFFEE....you could be a master coffee roaster.
I had fun - its been a long time, since I did a GHOTM - scheduling issues/work travel etc. It was good to see you all again. Very Happy

Do not compare yourself with others; you will end up bitter or vain - for there will always be people better or lesser than yourself.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I didn't take very many, but I added a few photos.

Pine Mountain pics Here

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Little late in getting my Thanks in ....but Thank you Shawn that was a wonderful hike. Beautiful weather (thought it was going to be colder but not). Wonderful scenery and just what I needed to refresh myself. Nice hike. Thank you for getting it all together and thanks for letting me carpool with you. I appreciated it.

Randy and Cindy the after hike leftovers hit the spot. That was some great salsa Randy...yum!

Nice to see all again, been a while since I've seen some of you all.
I didn't take many pics either and haven't even downloaded them, but will try to get to them in the next day and see if there is anything I have worth posting.

Hank glad you got out safely and all gassed up. Looks like you were just running on fumes. Whew! Dang fuel gauges. Glad it worked out for you.

Remember Suz the movie "Don't look in the Basement", goofy kinda movie but may answer your questions. Laughing You may not want to know!

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: