ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
AZT Segment #36 - Grandview Lookout to Moqui Stage Stop
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(5) (0)
User
desertgirl
Hikngrl
Shawn
beckett
tibber
User
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
desertgirl
PostPosted: 5/15/2009, 3:12 pm    Post subject: AZT Segment #36 - Grandview Lookout to Moqui Stage Stop Reply with quote

Shawn & I plan on hiking AZ Trail Passage #36 - Coconino Rim on July 11-12 with a car camp mid way on FR310 breaking up the distance into 2 days for some moderate hiking. Come hike with us for a day or 2... Very Happy

Length: 19.0 miles

We will be hiking from Grandview Lookout to Moqui Stage Stop -- Its all downhill -- from about 7500ft down to 6800 ft or so. Northern segements pass through Ponderosa Pine /Gambel Oaks; Southern section is more scrub and grasslands.

Day1) Coconino Rim Trail: GrandView Lookout Tower to crossing of Forest Road 310 (9.1 miles) The road back to start point is 6.8 miles on FR310 ( so we can camp along FR 310 or at suitably located campground in the area in a nice wooded area - Precise location TBD)
Day 2) Russell Wash Trail: FR 310 to Moqui Stage Station (8.2 miles)We will have figure out car tricks

Camp Location Friday: GrandView Lookout Tower area ( need to be a bit away from the actual area) - We can plan on meeting at the tower and then go find a campsite ...

Directions to TH:
From Tusayan: Turn right on FR302 (0.8 miles pas Grand Canyon Airport Entrance). Follow signs along this road for approximately 16 miles to Grand View Lookout Tower
From Grand Canyon South Entrance: From Entrance Station, drive north 4 miles to a right turn on AZ64. Drive east on AZ64 approximately 8.7 miles where you will see a left turn sign for Grandview point. Continue driving on AZ64 for 2 miles. Turn right on a gravel road. Drive 0.5 miles on this road to Grand Canyon National Forest boundary. There is an old cabin at this point. Continue on this road FR310 for 0.8 miles to GrandView Lookout Tower ( Shortest drive on dirt road but you need a park pass or pay the $25!)

wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 7/9/2009, 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have a Great Trip all... As Oliver99 said, "Wished I could go"...

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/10/2009, 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Folks -- if we do not meet up tonight ( Plan is to camp together but just in case) -- Lets meet up at the TH ( GrandView Lookout Tower -- you can't miss this if you follow the directions) at 7:00 am?
Hnak

PostPosted: 7/10/2009, 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have fun y'all, it looks like a great trip!

I, on the other hand, get to drive to Arizona City tonight (and back home tomorrow afternoon). Woohoo!! Rolling Eyes
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/10/2009, 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Headed out in a few minutes

Oh -- Linda Called -- Camp is just past the Lookout tower. Its just where the 1st road that heads to the right off FR 310 as you head south on FR310. Its a nice site with fire ring etc! Linda will have her tent up. I am car camping

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=grandview+lookout+tower+az&sll=35.984396,-112.078056&sspn=0.169463,0.362892&ie=UTF8&ll=35.956853,-111.946993&spn=0.02119,0.045362&t=p&z=15
beckett

PostPosted: 7/12/2009, 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We're back! It was a wonderful weekend! I was able to complete my first 10.3 miles of the Arizona Trail...about 740 more to go! A big thank you to my hiking friends - Shawn, Ambika and Angela! I had such a great time. We all did the first part of the hike Saturday, then, Angela and I dropped off Shawn and Ambika at their trailhead for them to complete the segment. Hope to hear from them about the second half soon. I can't thank all my companions enough...It was a wonderful weekend!

A few photos from the non-photographer are in the gallery.

Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/12/2009, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Reached home around 3:30 pm. Shawn & I wrapped up today's hike by 10:50 am and headed home. Yesterday was another good hike followed by some RnR! Very Happy
tibber

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great photos Linda!

Thanks Ambika & Shawn for putting this together and thanks Linda for prodding me into going.

It really was a wonderful time with lots of highlights like:
going up the Grandview Lookout Tower,
seeing the east side of the Canyon including Desert View,
building my first campfire (since the late 60s) campfire with Linda's help,
meeting Shawn,
meeting the infamous desertgirl Ambika,
eating Shawn's Artist at Work awesome pancakes,
finishing my first 10.3 mile hike Ok and in a speedy time for me (a little over 4 hours & in spite of a 20 minute drenching Yep, it's a swimmer! ),
eating at Bright Angel Lodge,
seeing the condors and getting a photo of one as it lifted off a ledge,
watching the sunset on the top of the Canyon from Grandview (and it was fun to watch Ambika in action with her camera),
seeing the 12 deer on our way back to camp,
actually getting some sleep Sleeping in the wild for the first time,
pancakes from Shawn on morning 2 (plus finding out two of the secret ingredients),
and stopping by the Grandview Point again to view the canyon for the last time.

Gosh, what more can you ask for... oh ya, the restroom within a tenth mile of the campsite Laughing . It really was a true luxury! The sleeping weather was near perfect which means that when I stuck my feet out of the tent at 5:15am, they didn't demand to come right back in.

Thanks to my hiking companions for showing me a great time in, on and around the AZT!!!! LIFE IS GOOD... oh, except for a little blister on the side of my foot... I didn't say "Life is Perfect", Laughing
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The campsite at the intersection of 310 & 307 is a GREAT campsite -- sufficient flat space for a large group with a handy bathroom within walking distance ( comes stocked with TP!) It also comes included with a BIG fire ring as well. There are nicely located pine trees to support hammocks as well....

There a number of other sites along 310 that will function well ( no bathrooms included though)

This is also a great location to have a bike ride from ....flat easy roads/trails. Very Happy
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like you all had a really nice time. Will have to go check out the pics, I'm sure they are wonderful

Just took a peek at the pics Linda, what do you mean non-photographer. They were nice and looks like you all had a good time. Wished I could have joined.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
tibber

PostPosted: 7/22/2009, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

okay, per my MO, the pics are up in the Gallery. And if that isn't enough, there are some more on the other website.

I can't wait to do Segment 37! Smile
oliverr99

PostPosted: 7/22/2009, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Your pics were awesome!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: