ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Treking Poles?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use treking poles?
Yes, I use treking poles (2 poles) most of the time
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
I sometimes use treking poles (2 poles)
31%
 31%  [ 7 ]
I usually use a walking stick (one pole)
27%
 27%  [ 6 ]
I sometimes use a walking stick (one pole)
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
I never use either
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 22

Daryl

PostPosted: 11/26/2003, 2:15 pm    Post subject: Treking Poles? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Treking poles can add miles to your hiking limit by allowing your arms to do some of the work, rather then just hang around. Do you use treking poles?
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 11/26/2003, 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fyi.. Hiking Shack in Phx rents demo leki poles for $10/5 days.

Not sure why they charge since I suspect they get them for free and they come from leki with the words demo on them--they used to provide them for free?

Still a nice way to decide if you like the poles Very Happy
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/26/2003, 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I guess it depends on what you're talking about here...

Bouldering, climbing - usually nothing

Hikes with elevation gain/loss - one trekking pole

Backpacking - always two trekking poles

PostPosted: 11/26/2003, 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I never use poles unless I will be crossing water. Then they are a lifesaver. Otherwise I find them distracting.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/26/2003, 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I always use one trekking pole.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 11/26/2003, 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I usually use two. One thing they do for me besides the obvious benefits with stability and taking pressure off the knees, etc. is the fact that using then keeps my hands from swelling up annoyingly like they do when I hike for a distance without poles. Sausage fingers - yuck!! Hiking
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 11/26/2003, 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The first time I hiked, HikerinGilbert must have felt really sorry for this "ole lady" because he gave me a hiking stick out of the goodness of his heart (yes he has a heart) Wink . I have used it on every hike since then, it feels like my right arm at times. Recently I purchased a trekking pole that adjusts which I like because it can be packed away if needed. I am saving the one HikerinGilbert gave me for when I really am an "ole lady". It will make a snazzy cane!! Pink Yes

Sherileeaz Hiking
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 11/26/2003, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I tried using 2 treking poles and it wore me out faster. I felt like I was doing too much work. I hated it and will never use 2 again. I am completly satisfied with 1.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
plummer150

PostPosted: 11/26/2003, 6:59 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nope, don't use at all for any normal hikes. However, when I snow hike, then I use two.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/26/2003, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sherileeaz wrote:
The first time I hiked, HikerinGilbert must have felt really sorry for this "ole lady" because he gave me a hiking stick out of the goodness of his heart (yes he has a heart) Wink . I have used it on every hike since then, it feels like my right arm at times. Recently I purchased a trekking pole that adjusts which I like because it can be packed away if needed. I am saving the one HikerinGilbert gave me for when I really am an "ole lady". It will make a snazzy cane!! Pink Yes

You're welcome Sher. I think...

"When" you're an ol' lady?? Alzheimer's, or just wishful thinking?

hehehehe
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 11/26/2003, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
sherileeaz wrote:

You're welcome Sher. I think...

"When" you're an ol' lady?? Alzheimer's, or just wishful thinking?

hehehehe

Who has Alzheimer's??? I think YOU forgot that these are great weapons to hit guys like you over da head!! Laughing

Sherileeaz Hiking
evenstar

PostPosted: 11/27/2003, 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use one walking stick and on rare occasion that I forget it, it really slows me down; I really rely on the added stability.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/27/2003, 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
I use one walking stick and on rare occasion that I forget it, it really slows me down; I really rely on the added stability.

Ginkgo Biloba and Melatonin Hooli... take it at night before you hit the hay...

(not quite sure if I should "hehehe" here, or not)

???

Cool
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/27/2003, 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When I have custody of both my poles ( which I do finally have custody of both of them) I use two when there is a lot of elevation gain and up and down to relieve the impact on my knoees. It's actually a mood thing for me.... other wise I use just one for the most part.

I want to shine!
evenstar

PostPosted: 11/27/2003, 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:

Ginkgo Biloba and Melatonin Hooli... take it at night before you hit the hay...

(not quite sure if I should "hehehe" here, or not)

Use both Tom, but they don't reverse the effects of age....as you'll find out one of these years! Rolling Eyes
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: