ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Baboquivari!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/6/2009, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Baboquivari!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well Baboquivari has been one of the mountains on my wish list for a long time. I figured I would never learn the skills for a technical climb like this, so I wrote it off as a long off wish list hike. Some friends took the AMC rock climbing class last fall and then they started climbing things I've always wanted to do. Two other friends (Scott and Brian) convinced me to take the AMC class in the spring so I signed up and we all learned the basics.

Feeling confident that we could hands some climbing now I contacted Suz to find us a lead climbing for Babo. Within 24 hours She replied back and had a friend (Nestor) who would lead for us. The planning began and two weeks out of the AMC class we had a date with Babo. Saturday we hiked some stuff in the area and we met up near the Eastside TH to drop a car off and all pile in Nestors FJ for the 8 mile ride to camp. There were some Border Patrol vehicles parked at the dirt road turnoff so we talked to them and got an update on the conditions/situation in the area.

The road in was pretty good but not something for a car, a Subaru Forester did make it though. We set up camp at the sign that said no camping beyond this point. There was a fire ring and enough room for the 5 of us. We found some stuff to burn and had a retired early for an early start the next day. We hit the trail at 7am and just walked from our campsite adding 3/4mile to the trip, but it's an easy road so it didn't matter. The hike is on private land but it's posted that hiking is allowed but can be revoked at any time. We pass by the McGee ranch house and continue up the 4 mile hike to the saddle. It gains about 2500 feet so there are some steep and scree filled sections. The trail is a little overgrown in spots but you should have no problem following it.

At the saddle we take a quick break to recharge the batteries and then a steeper climb begins before the technical portion, this 1/2 mile stretch was overgrown and just a bit of a pain, still no problems staying on path. We climb a gully and reach the base of the first pitch. We throw on our harness, climbing shoes and helmets and Nestor climbs right up it with no problem. He sets up a rope and belays us up. You have to squeeze between a chokestone about 20' up, it's no problem but with a heavy pack (I still had the second rope in my pack) I was glad to be roped. A short scramble from there and that takes us to the great ramp. We all just start climbing it up roped as it's mostly a scramble but does get steeper at the top. It was definitely at the upper edge of what I would like to do unroped. Another scramble around the corned and were at the base of the 3rd pitch, called the ladder pitch. There used to be a medal ladder there that was put in around the 30's I believe. Just some hangers and brackets remain. This pitch is probably about 100-120', an easy climb though. Again Nestor just scrambles right up it, at the top there are two bolts and a small chain to clip into. The rest climb it roped with no problems.

Some more scrambling and few 4th class mini pitches and we traverse our way to the summit. I think we made it there about 12:30. We take about an hour up top and enjoy the views. Kitt peak to the North, Lemmon & Wrightson & Miller to the East and Mexico to the South. It was a great day for climbing, warm in the sun and cool in the shade with breeze. We head back down the mountain and setup rappels for all 3 pitches. They were climbed up with ease but I wouldn't want to down climb any of them unroped. The first two are double rope rappels but the third is a short one.

We take another break at the saddle and begin our hike back down. It was nice to have shoes on again, but I wished I could just rappel back to the car. Nestor goes ahead and pulls the FJ up the closest gate saving us the last 3/4 mile, what a guy. We have a celebratory beer and head back to the car getting a little air along the way. Yes a FJ can get airborne on a dirt road. Back at the car it is in 1 piece and the border patrol has a greyhound type bus pulled over with 8-10 people corralled up sitting down. It was only 100 yards from the car. There was some obvious signs of crossings along the trail with empty gallon jugs and canned goods. Some that was there on the way down but not on the way up, but we never saw anybody. It's not nearly as bad as the area around Miller Peak.

Back at the car we had a nice sunset of Babo on the way back to Tucson. It was an amazing day and I was glad to have some good friends along for it.

Pictures are posted Here because the gallery is giving me issues.

-TIM-
desertgirl

PostPosted: 4/6/2009, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Applause Sweet -- I am soooo envious! Very Happy
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 4/6/2009, 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Congrats Tim... You seem to be getting in all your last chance (for a while) hikes and climbs before you leave. Hope you continute to get all that you want done before.
Sounds like you all had a great time and have another memorable experience to treasure.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Suz

PostPosted: 4/6/2009, 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep, we got this one checked off the list....it was BIG. Beer We keep hearing over and over that climbers are not usually hikers. This trip is an example of a really long approach that made many seasoned climbers say no thank you!

A couple of weeks ago I got an email from Tim saying that he wanted to do Baboquivari. I responded back that if he couldn't find someone else of course I would do it with him........and then I said what is Baboquivari? The next email said we need a lead climber................... Shocked uh oh! That's about when I realized it was going to be a BIG project and wondered a tinch what I had just agreed to do.

Our AMC buddy, Nestor, is a true Goat He agreed to take the lead climber reins for this hike and arranged the time off work. Things fell into place quickly after that and we were on our way to a mountain near Nogales. I had to fight the shopping urge because that's usually what I do when I'm near Nogales. Although I did call Tim on the drive down and tell him that I might accidently head for Margarita Then I saw the mountain Eek, damage it was really huge!Whoa! The whole hike up I was still asking myself what I had agreed to do and WHY Crazy ...shopping is so much easier. The climbing was great fun and the raps were almost as good as the views.

Now that I'm home and tending to a few bumps and bruises I am really glad we did it, Spinning happy that I was included Spinning on my head , and even happier that I had my helmet on when the rock hit my head. I did vomit once on this climb around 7,000 ft...almost twice but I was able to abort the second flow of chunks some how. Embarassed I'm not sure if it was residual flu stuff or if it was the free climbing followed by the exposed scrambling on all 4's, topped off with the elevation and straight down views. Crazy

It was an amazing mountain and an awesome weekend, you guys had me laughing all weekend. Pictures and video footage coming soon! Tim--I sure am going to miss our fun adventures together when you move. Sad
aspen_oaks

PostPosted: 4/7/2009, 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

what an amazing time! I remember the first hike after coming back from Afghanistan being Wasson peak in Saguaro NP, and looking at Babo in the distance. I immediately looked at Scott and told him we are climbing it. Little did I know it would be so soon. The climb was great, and I could not have asked for better climbing partners. I see myself going back in the future so if anyone wants to go let me know...............

SE Arete anyone?
Deborah

PostPosted: 4/7/2009, 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice report. Congrats! Laughing
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/7/2009, 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, Suz, now if go again and do the west side approach from the campground on the reservation, it will seem easy!! 8 mile hike and then one easy 80 foot pitch is how I remember it, although there was a dicey scramble before you get to the pitch and on the way down we did use an old-fashioned rappel at that spot. (That kind of rappel where you just wrap the rope a certain way under your arm and across your torso, some of you know that one.) Of course we used regular rap on pitch.

That was about 12 years ago, haven't been near there since then. I have wanted to go back and do Mundo Perdido, a nearby peak that is just a gnarly bushwhack, no climbing, just because I like the name of it. Mundo Perdido...Lost World.

Glad you had fun and didn't get "eaten by the coyotes."
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 4/7/2009, 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim, Suz, Scott and crew! Awesome job! I wish I could have been there with you guys. I would have done it again, despite my debacle the last time I was there. Speaking of that, that's a cool pic that you posted Suz, but I hate how the SE Arete is just staring at me, mocking me, and asking "Remember me?" Maybe someday I'll come and settle my score with the SE Arete.

If any of the rest of you are curious as to what I'm talking about, you can read my story here:
http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=4&start=0&EXT=T#5597
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 4/7/2009, 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
we did use an old-fashioned rappel. (That kind of rappel where you just wrap the rope a certain way under your arm and across your torso, some of you know that one.)

That rappel technique is called the Dulfersitz. I've always been too nervous to try it. But then again, I've never been in a situation where I needed to rappel without gear. I'm still young and stupid though, so there is still time.
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 4/7/2009, 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You guys ROCK!!!!!!!!!!
sbkelley

PostPosted: 4/7/2009, 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It did seem impossible a couple months ago, but the AMC class really bridged the gap nicely. It was a nice investment that's really paying off dividends! The climb itself wasn't overly difficult, but it was great to see how to set everything up and get comfortable climbing on your own. I have to say - Nestor was a heck of a lead climber and that helped quite a bit.

Glad we got this one in before June, Tim. What's next?
Suz

PostPosted: 4/7/2009, 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What about Pinnacle Peak....anyone thinking about that one?
sbkelley

PostPosted: 4/7/2009, 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think Tim wants to do something in that area, but I believe its name is Tom's Thumb Wink
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/7/2009, 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tomb's thumb, the monk, or weavers needle. Pick a day and I'll take leave if I have to, weekends are pretty full at this point.
Suz

PostPosted: 4/7/2009, 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

been there.............done those Ok
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: