ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
AZT Segment 22, down hill, Mt Peeley to Sunflower
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Shawn
PostPosted: 4/5/2009, 7:50 pm    Post subject: AZT Segment 22, down hill, Mt Peeley to Sunflower Reply with quote

I'm thinking of doing this next Sunday, April 12. Anyone want to come along? ~16 miles, mostly down hill, will plan an early start.

PM me if interested.

Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 4/12/2009, 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yup, no problem a couple cell phones, credit card and two hours didn't solve. The road turned to gumbo for a short steep section about 2-3 miles from the pavement. We couldn't go forward and going back meant into the ditch. The very nice tow truck operator came and took care of us, we followed him back down the mountain. Going through the slippery part the truck really wanted to slide down. We got back to pavement, then we went to the other trail head and hiked the 6.75 miles to Sunflower. '

Not as planned but still a good day. That short trail is flat, some old road walking, but still a very nice walk. Lots of daisy flowers.

Thanks everyone for coming and tolerating the circumstances.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 4/12/2009, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey no problem. Was not your fault! Thanks for a great day, the hike was beautiful, and the scenes toward Mt. Peeley were great!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 4/12/2009, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

T'was an adventure -- Shawn picked a might fine spot to get stopped. We had great views all the way around and watched the clouds lift of the range - Mt Peeley and a few other peaks had some frosting on it. The beautiful clouds and the everchanging light made for a delightful wait. Oh Yes...we also tried to grow out footware in mucky muck....we are easily amused.

Once we were extracted and safely back on good roads -- we did an abbreviated hike through some delightful terrain -- I counted 18 varieties of identifiable flowers and there were a few more that I do not know the names of. We saw cows, horses, lizards and no rabbit!

I think we hit the section we did hike at the best possible time --cool, full of color and dust free soft trails!
azhiker96

PostPosted: 4/12/2009, 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the enjoyable hike! I'm glad you suggested the alternate hike. That made the day!
Suz

PostPosted: 4/13/2009, 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

wow! You guys sure had an adventure. Shawn hope there was no damage to your truck.

I had gone for a drive on Saturday---did lunch in Globe, Tonto National Monument and the Apache Trail Scenic Byway home and saw some snow.....thought about your hike, the potential for mud and the roads...even mentioned it to Ambika. Glad it all worked out for you guys. Looking forward to the pictures Smile

I thought of you guys on your long "downhill march" while I played in a beautiful pool of water surrounded with house-sized boulders, a waterfall and canyon walls out in Tortilla Creek....nice day but very humid in the morning. Of course the Easter Bunny was there just before us and had hidden candy filled easter eggs along the trail. Rolling Eyes
desertgirl

PostPosted: 4/13/2009, 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh -- In the tow truck operator; we rubbed shoulders with some AZ history. His family came here 1893 and ran cattle till a few years ago and now he runs a tow business out of Jake's Corner -- Business 4 Peaks towing and he said they were really 24x7 .....
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 4/13/2009, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jakes Cornor used to be called Felton Station. Went to school with a freind whose family had a ranch in the area. One time the forest service had a district ranger office there.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 4/13/2009, 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your troubles but it sounds like an adventure and you had an enjoyable day just the same. Beautiful day, views all around, cloud watching, a few critters and wildflowers. What more could you ask for. You still did hike only a different one. Some of the best things are not planned and just happen. Sounds like a good hike to me.

Seems as though the truck was tough and is OK, hope so. And you probably had an interesting chat with the local and learned some history to boot.

Yucky roads just made for a change of pace and an interesting tale to tell.
Glad you all had a great time and made it back safely.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
desertgirl

PostPosted: 4/14/2009, 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok - Shawn & I haven't given up on this segment. We want to do a truncated version of this on 26th April (Sunday). It still is mostly down hill only about 4-5 miles shorter than before --

Now its 12.5 miles downhill -- Who wants to join in on the fun ???
Come hike with us Very Happy

I am open to a car camp at Mt Peeley TH. We will need to drop of 1 vehicle at the end.

Or if some one wants to drop us off at the TH -- we will greatly appreciate it. Mr. Green Bonus for some one dropping us off is a hike up to Mt Peeley!!!
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 4/14/2009, 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Oh -- In the tow truck operator; we rubbed shoulders with some AZ history. His family came here 1893 and ran cattle till a few years ago and now he runs a tow business out of Jake's Corner -- Business 4 Peaks towing and he said they were really 24x7 .....

My guess is that's one of the Cline clan. Was it John Cline? I think Frank was the Patriarch.
There's info on them in the book on Tonto History. I think it was this clan that endowed the Library at NAU but don't quote me on that.
I'll have to see if any of my surviving family elders knew them. My maternal side is from the Globe area from the late 1800's and I'm sure we had a horse or car break down in that area at some point or other over the years.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 4/14/2009, 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Al_HikesAZ wrote:
desertgirl wrote:

My guess is that's one of the Cline clan. Was it John Cline? I think Frank was the Patriarch.

I seem to remember a Chris Cline from T.B. - I believe that he was/is in the towing business.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
oliverr99

PostPosted: 4/15/2009, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can't make it that day, darnit. I have my niece and nephew that weekend. I am sorry I will miss out on the fun and this section. Have fun and don't get stuck again!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 4/15/2009, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd give it a try, but I'm On-call Sad

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
desertgirl

PostPosted: 4/27/2009, 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn & I completed the hike down from Mt Peeley to Cross F Ranch TH. It was a great hike. The flowers were blooming, the temps were just right for a long walk and we managed a drop off the Peeley TH by the new AZ trail Segment #22 Steward so no major car tricks.

We did get off course and had to backtrack ( adding about 1.5 miles to our travels ) since we were doing the "Arizona Trail". The detour had us walking by a beautiful creekside. Almost all the major drainages had seasonal water in them -- this provided for some delightful sounds and scapes, lots of butterflies. No wildlife was encountered, a few raptors soared overhead and we picked up shards from the light on a Quad. We did run into 3 other hikers.

Photos coming soon
desertgirl

PostPosted: 4/27/2009, 11:25 am    Post subject: Photos from Segment 22 : Attempt 1 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Photos Link: http://desertgirl.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album56&page=1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: