ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Flashlights part 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Head lamp or hand held?
Head lamp
68%
 68%  [ 11 ]
Hand held
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 16

Daryl

PostPosted: 11/24/2003, 9:56 am    Post subject: Flashlights part 1 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Head lamp or hand held?
If you carry both, which do you prefer to use, or use more often.
Wiz

PostPosted: 11/24/2003, 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Both, but I usually save the headlamp for caves & tunnels.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/24/2003, 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ihave hand held now but am seriously considering a head lamp for the hike this weekend.... good excuse as any to get one..... I want one so if climbing is a factor I want have to worry about having free hands...

I want to shine!
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 11/24/2003, 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I prefer a headlamp most times - but I learned while spelunking that it is good to have at least 2 light sources on hand. Spelunkers bring a minimum of 3 - and one of those is non-electric.

If I'm headed out on a longer trip - I take the same precaution.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
mike t

PostPosted: 11/24/2003, 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a headlamp that I usually use as a hand held. I only strap it on when I need my hands free for some other task. I remember reading Ray Jardine writing about not liking the quality of light from up high like that and not understanding at all. It just had to be so much better on your forehead. You don't have to hold it, it is always aimed where you're looking, BUT.... the first time I used it I agreed with Jardine. There is something about the light coming from the higher angle that I don't like, so I usually just hike with it in my hand and click it on and off as needed.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/24/2003, 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I usually carry a headlamp & a candle lantern (for milti-day). I like having my hands free from having to hang on to flashlights
ck1

PostPosted: 11/24/2003, 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Stan's got to chime in on this one...he's got the best headlight I've ever seen.

"The Journey is the Destination"
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 11/24/2003, 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a hand held one, but deperatly want a head one. I love those things, but just is not a neccessity right now.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/24/2003, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I carry both, but use the headlamp most often when needed. If you're in the market for either one, definitely spend the extra clams on LED. It's truly amazing the difference they make.

Work well, except when you're trying to talk to someone who is wearing a headlamp, that is...
Crazy
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 11/24/2003, 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like my headlamp, but I carry a small handheld LED in my first aid kit.
Lizard

PostPosted: 11/25/2003, 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I own a headlamp, but usually only carry it during winter when the nights are long, or for a hike when I specifically plan to nighthike. Most of the time I carry a handheld because it is much lighter.
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
plummer150

PostPosted: 11/25/2003, 11:31 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hand held, i'll stick to olde school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: