ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Lower Barks Canyon/Williams Camp/Miners Needle/Barclay Basin
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 1/12/2003, 10:19 am    Post subject: Lower Barks Canyon/Williams Camp/Miners Needle/Barclay Basin Reply to topic Reply with quote

So far the hardest thing about this hike was trying to figure out what to call it!! Very Happy Cactuscat, Kristyn, Higgs, Arizonaheat, and myself got together Saturday morning. From the Peralta T/H, we hit the Dutchman's trail at approximately 7:20am on our way to Lower Barks Canyon. It didn't take long before we found ourselves off the trail heading up a drainage through bushes, bouldering our way north towards the canyon. So far, this hike was right up our alley!! It was a beautiful day and not a soul to be found where we were. As soon as we entered the canyon, we knew this was going to be an awesome hike full of discovery and exploring. We found evidence of small waterfalls and large pools when there is enough water flowing thru here, but today there were just scattered water holes throughout the canyon. But we weren't disappointed. Some of the water holes were quite large with grass... yes, I said grass... gorgeous, bright green grass growing around the edges!! We found animals bones, unique rock formations, some canyon wall art created by water runoff... and this was all in just the first two hours!! Whew... so now it was time for a break. We found a nice spot on some rocks and enjoyed food, water, and entertaining conversation for about 30 minutes or so.

From here, we intersected w/ the Bluff Springs trail and took that up past the Terrapin trail junction. Just shortly after that, there is a knoll to the north off the main trail. This was our next destination for on top of this knoll is where we found reminants of Williams mining camp... old pieces of wood w/ nails in them, pieces of pottery, old tin cans, tent stakes still in the ground, etc. From here, we could see the old mine tailings about halfway up Bluff Spring Mtn, so off we went to check them out. We were again rewarded for our efforts w/ one deep mine shaft that is probably 9 feet in diameter and about 30 feet straight down!! It took some serious searching w/ my binoculars, but I knew that in the bottom of this hole was a dead gila monster!! Since my last visit to this area, the elements have done a pretty good job of hiding him among the dirt and rocks. But with perseverance, I found him, and we all got a very good, close up look of him through the binoculars. The views from up here are incredible, too... Weavers Needle, Miners Needle, Buzzards Roost, but the terrain climbing up and getting back down from this area is no picnic. It is rather steep w/ lots of loose dirt and rocks, chollas, and lots of other strategically placed cactus making this a little tricky to get back out to the main trail.

Once back on the Bluff Spring trail, three of us headed east down the trail to the Dutchman's trail, up to Miners Saddle, then down into Barclay Basin for an 11.6 mile loop. While the other two went back from where we had come in the opposite direction looking for a lost item on the Bluff Springs trail back down through Lower Barks Canyon to the Dutchmans trail in Barclay Basin. Either way, we all ended up together again sharing our stories on the tailgate of one of the trucks in the Peralta T/H parking lot, people watching, eating, drinking, laughing, relaxing, and eventually saying goodbye. It was one of the best hikes as it always is w/ this group!! Very Happy

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 1/12/2003, 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

All I can say about yesterday is that it was truly an unforgetable hike, especially our off trail adventures.

Nice trip report Jaimi!! Jumping
Kristyn

PostPosted: 1/12/2003, 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It sure was awesome!!!!!!!!!
chihiggs

PostPosted: 1/12/2003, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanx for the super hike and great company!!!
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 1/12/2003, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey guys... I had a thought. You know that skull I found, I think it was a snake. By its triangular-shape, the large eye sockets on the sides, and the vertebrates that go all the way up through the head, I am venturing to think it was a rattlesnake skull!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
chihiggs

PostPosted: 1/12/2003, 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sounds reasonable enough. one of the people in my program at school is married to a snake guy for the state of az. if you want, i'll take it to him and see what he says--then bring it back?!?
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 1/12/2003, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sure... that would be great!! After all, mine is just an uneducated guess.

jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 1/12/2003, 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

By the way... how was that steak?? Missed you at the Rockfest. Did anyone else go this w/e?? Maybe I should as in the other forum topic, too.

Kristyn

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

jmzblond wrote:
Hey guys... I had a thought. You know that skull I found, I think it was a snake. By its triangular-shape, the large eye sockets on the sides, and the vertebrates that go all the way up through the head, I am venturing to think it was a rattlesnake skull!!

That makes sense!
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like you all kicked off the first group hike for Arizonahikers.com. Wink Sounds like you all had alot of fun, wish i could of been there will you, unfortunatly I have to work on Saturdays. Glad to see you had a great time! Ok

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
chihiggs

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The steak.....oh the steak, mmmmmmmm Very Happy

No I didn't make Rockfest--I ended up at the Coach House Tavern. Had to wash down a great steak with good beer....All -n- all--Saturday was the best day of the year!!! Early yet--still lots of days for hikes like that one and then steaks for all of us afterwards....maybe a jacuzzi too--Wink
Kristyn

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Higgs wrote:
The steak.....oh the steak, mmmmmmmm Very Happy

No I didn't make Rockfest--I ended up at the Coach House Tavern. Had to wash down a great steak with good beer....All -n- all--Saturday was the best day of the year!!! Early yet--still lots of days for hikes like that one and then steaks for all of us afterwards....maybe a jacuzzi too--Wink

OOOO that sounds so yummy!!!!!!!!!!
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The jacuzzi sounds great, no steak for me though! Wink I'll just drink more beer!
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay then, we must plan it... a hike, then a bbq, then the hottub!! We can do all but the hike here at my place!! Just say when...

chihiggs

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jaimi--you've shown all of us you are heck of a fun planner!!! I do like Kelly's idea about the beers, let's incorparate that part too!! Laughing Jaimi and crew--how does the weekend of the 25th sound?!? I can't play this weekend as I'm going to check out a new motorcycle and see a buddy I grew-up with from my old neighborhood. But really, any other is fine for me--heck weekdays are fine too Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: