ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Havasupai Campgrounds Re-opening?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 1/14/2009, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Havasupai Campgrounds Re-opening? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone got the inside scoop on permits, the falls or a reopening?

I heard there is a May 1st date with phone reservations starting up this past Monday 1/12.

I'm looking for an insider scoop on the newly reconfigured falls and the whole area for that matter......any beta connections?

Dang that was FAST! Multi Finally on high speed! and a hotrod computer.....and saving myself 6 bucks a month by switching from dial up......LOL
dabreeze

PostPosted: 1/15/2009, 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As you hike to the campground from the village you'll find some rather significant changes:

1. two new falls (80' & 30'--no official names yet other than Fifty Foot Falls, which are shown on any 1983 USGS-based topo software if you're interested in the exact location in the watershed) about four hundred yards upstream from . . .

2. Navajo Falls which sadly is completely dry with no return in sight;

3. a major re-routing of the trail in spots;

4. entirely new foot bridges;

5. a slightly lower (5'-8') and more singularly channeled Havasu Falls as it tumbles over the ledge; brand new, rebuilt travertine pools and tubs immediately below Havasu Falls;

6. far fewer trees around those pools and throughout the length of the creek below the new falls;

6. for now, a campground much flatter and uniform as a result of 4'-6' of deposited silt that has also, for now, buried almost all of the wonderful pour-offs, riffles and grotto-like reflecting pools that used to characterize the creek as it flowed thru the campground. to give you an idea, the building next to the spring water outlet which used to stand about seven feet high now has only the roof exposed!!

7. Not much visible damage to Mooney Falls other than one fairly large travertine curtain close to the top of the falls that had a good section sheared off.

8. The large pools under both Havasu and Mooney Falls lost about a third of their waters due to silt build-up.

Didn't get a chance to get below Mooney in November when I saw all this so I'm not sure of the impact downstream to Beaver Falls. My educated guess is that while there will be debris piles in places and some trees gone, that most of the worst damage was between Fifty Foot Falls and Mooney Falls.

The Havasupai are working round the clock to clean up debris piles in the campground, restore the pools, re-install picnic tables. This was proceeding nicely.

The toughest job looks to be the re-routing of the trail away from some geologically unstable areas (erosion, vulnerability to any future flooding, underground springs) and rebuilding the various foot bridges.

Even though all were evacuated safely during this past summer's flood, still more and improved evacuation proceedures and advance warning systems are being put into place.

The Tourism Office (928 448 2121) remains confident they can re-open to hikers and campers by May 1 and are planning to start taking reservations again sometime in February or March. The canyon suffered some pretty significant damage so you can expect it's gonna take a while to return to its prestine, pre-flood state.

But it's also good to remember that 1993 & 1997 were also huge flood years and probably almost all the incredible pix you've seen have been taken in the years since those floods. Floods are part of the life cycle in the Grand Canyon and recovery is often much quicker than one would think!!

PS: NOw available at Amazon and on the Tribe website is Greg Witt's wonderfully written, informative official 'unofficial' hiking guide for the entire area called Exploring Havasupai. I shot the cover and all the pix of the new falls, as well as a series of "Pro Photo Tips" sidebars throughout the guide.

PPS: Suz, send me a PM and I'll give you a peek. Sorry, I can't for now put them up for full public viewing. Soon though.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/15/2009, 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

dabreeze wrote:
The canyon suffered some pretty significant damage so you can expect it's gonna take a while to return to its prestine, pre-flood state.

Sorry that's a little funny. That place was anything but pristine before. Hopefully they will have cleaned it up some with no tourist traffic and maybe if they don't overfill the campground every weekend they might be able to keep it clean.
dabreeze

PostPosted: 1/15/2009, 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

in referring to its "prestine, pre-flood state," i would hope you'd understand i was describing the watershed, waterfalls, pools, foliage, etc. & not the village and the campground.
lots of good info for those interested; is there really a need here to take the original post so off-topic just so that you can express your opinion about the Havasuapai Tribe's stewardship of the canyon?
For what it's worth, from Mooney to the River is pretty 'pristine' to me whatever state it's in. A simple, polite 'thank you' for the good 411 might have sufficed!! Shocked
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/15/2009, 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry for commenting on the subject. I don't believe talking about the condition of the canyon is off topic though. I hope they do make some changes to keep it cleaner for future visitors.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 1/15/2009, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is good to know they are working to get things back together for us to enjoy the beautiful waters and falls. I wouldn't mind going back, but I think I will wait for others to go ahead. Thanks for the update!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 1/15/2009, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd like to go and see the changes...I feel lucky enough to have seen the "before", and I'd love to go see the "after" I think it'd be really cool to compare.

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
azhiker96

PostPosted: 1/16/2009, 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm excited to see mother nature's changes in that canyon. I think it's cool that we're in a changing world.
Suz

PostPosted: 1/16/2009, 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

dabreeze wrote:
in referring to its "prestine, pre-flood state," i would hope you'd understand i was describing the watershed, waterfalls, pools, foliage, etc. & not the village and the campground.

I did understand that and you understood exactly what I was asking for...thanks Derek for the info. I'd like to plan a trip for May or early June. I will PM you to see pictures.

Anyone else interested in a 3-4 day trip?
oliverr99

PostPosted: 1/16/2009, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I might! Depending on my financial situation!
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 1/17/2009, 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I remember it in the 'way back" 1979 and 1981 when it was really awesome! Nature keeps re-doing herself. I'm sure it will always be amazing! Thanks for the info,Derek!
Suz

PostPosted: 1/17/2009, 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It looks like it would be around a 100 bucks per person for a couple of nights.
Erock

PostPosted: 1/17/2009, 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What days do you have in mind?
Suz

PostPosted: 1/18/2009, 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just took a peak at Derek's pictures and I'm not sure I want to go anymore. Might put this one on hold for a decade or 10!
Hnak

PostPosted: 1/18/2009, 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
It looks like it would be around a 100 bucks per person for a couple of nights.

Have they raised the rates (a lot)???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: