ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
GHOTM February 22 (Sunday), Hells Canyon Wilderness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(11) (2)
User
Shawn
Suz
beckett
GTG
oliverr99
desertgirl
Al_HikesAZ
windymesa
wanderingsoul
azhiker96
moodrets
User
jdahling
RedRoxx44
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Shawn
PostPosted: 1/1/2009, 8:18 pm    Post subject: GHOTM February 22 (Sunday), Hells Canyon Wilderness Reply with quote

UPDATE 1/4/09

The desert is looking great with the recent rains-green abounds! The mountains along the route are quite impressive.

Where we need to leave the cars is in the Regional Park, and they want $5 / car. The first park entrance is said to be open by 7 so we can decide who's going to leave cars in the park and they will have to get a sticker, or risk the ticket.

The GPS software I've been playing with changes its mind on distance. If a couple miles more or less matters, I'd plan on as much as 12 miles. We'll only know for sure after we walk and track the actual hike, rather than scribing the line on the computer map.

---------------------------------------------------------
The polls are closed, sorry if your date didn't prevail; there is no greater tyanny than democracy. Maybe some of the Saturday workers can make this one!

Those coming from the east, let's meet at Denny's parking lot on the SW corner of Bell and I-17. I'm open to suggestions for those of you living in East LA; if there is a better meet-up spot speak up, no sense in you driving east to get west.

The Hells Canyon Wilderness is located northwest of Lake Pleasant. If you've driven past Castle Hot Springs, the Wilderness is the pile of mountains to the west. This hike celebrates the BLM acquisition of the last private land in-holding in this designated Wilderness Area. We may have some of the BLM people who made this happen with us.

This will be a through-hike so we'll need car tricks. We'll leave a car or two on the east end where Garfias Wash flows into Lake Pleasant, then pile into others and drive around to the west end. Regular street cars are OK for the east end, the west end takes high clearance.

We need a recommendation for Mexican food place in the northwest end of town for afterwards. I'm fine with Te-Wa's recommendation but open to local preference.

http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7609

The route is down Garfias Wash from North Castle Hot Srings Road almost to Lake Pleasant. If you go to Google Maps , click "Terrain," and search for "Garfias Mountain" the wash is just north (up) from there and this will start to make sense. Scroll around and you'll see the route down the wash.

And thanks to Todd, a TOPO map is in the gallery:
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albwb11&id=Hell_s_Canyon_Hike_001&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Come on everybody, this is not quite an amble but it's not a butt kicker either, and it's on the west side!

oliverr99

PostPosted: 2/26/2009, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was thinking about the same place, at Lake Pleasant and 74. We must know that place well!
Suz

PostPosted: 2/26/2009, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm confident they'll have good information soon.
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 2/26/2009, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I tried adding photos to a new nested album and kept getting error messages. Here is one
Processing status...
- Adding IMGP7111.jpg
Warning: getimagesize(/home/gtmhpsp/public_html/board/albums/albxf69/IMGP7111.jpg) [function.getimagesize]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/gtmhpsp/public_html/forum/modules/gallery/util.php on line 474

Error: Invalid image: IMGP7111.jpg!

What am I doing wrong? The image is on my h:\drive so I don't know why it says invalid image. I'll try again tomorrow night.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 2/27/2009, 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I ran into problems when I first tried to upload my pictures, they were too big. It just hung up when trying to upload them. I made them much smaller and they went though fine. dunno

Todd, anybody, what is the maximum size picture we can upload to the gallery?
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 2/27/2009, 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The limit is about 1 megabyte in size if I recall correctly.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 2/27/2009, 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
I ran into problems when I first tried to upload my pictures, they were too big. It just hung up when trying to upload them. I made them much smaller and they went though fine. dunno

Todd, anybody, what is the maximum size picture we can upload to the gallery?

Al, George, what time were y'all trying to upload them? After 10:00 PM and before 1:00 AM ? If so, that's when backups on the server run and things get a little tied up with the processors and such. I believe that you can post multi-megabyte pictures with no issues. Others have done so before. Try again and let me know if the same thing happens.

GTG
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 2/27/2009, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I resized them all to under 1mg. I tried to get into the galleries about 15minutes ago. It seemed to take forever, so I went outside and played with my dogs for 10minutes. Came back in and I still wasn't in the galleries. I'll try again this weekend.
Suz

PostPosted: 2/28/2009, 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Al, looks like you successfully got your pictures into the gallery. I really enjoyed them. I loved your perspective and angles for the shots you took. Sweet snake shots! Thanks for sharing them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: