ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
GHOTM February 22 (Sunday), Hells Canyon Wilderness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(11) (2)
User
Shawn
Suz
beckett
GTG
oliverr99
desertgirl
Al_HikesAZ
windymesa
wanderingsoul
azhiker96
moodrets
User
jdahling
RedRoxx44
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Shawn
PostPosted: 1/1/2009, 8:18 pm    Post subject: GHOTM February 22 (Sunday), Hells Canyon Wilderness Reply with quote

UPDATE 1/4/09

The desert is looking great with the recent rains-green abounds! The mountains along the route are quite impressive.

Where we need to leave the cars is in the Regional Park, and they want $5 / car. The first park entrance is said to be open by 7 so we can decide who's going to leave cars in the park and they will have to get a sticker, or risk the ticket.

The GPS software I've been playing with changes its mind on distance. If a couple miles more or less matters, I'd plan on as much as 12 miles. We'll only know for sure after we walk and track the actual hike, rather than scribing the line on the computer map.

---------------------------------------------------------
The polls are closed, sorry if your date didn't prevail; there is no greater tyanny than democracy. Maybe some of the Saturday workers can make this one!

Those coming from the east, let's meet at Denny's parking lot on the SW corner of Bell and I-17. I'm open to suggestions for those of you living in East LA; if there is a better meet-up spot speak up, no sense in you driving east to get west.

The Hells Canyon Wilderness is located northwest of Lake Pleasant. If you've driven past Castle Hot Springs, the Wilderness is the pile of mountains to the west. This hike celebrates the BLM acquisition of the last private land in-holding in this designated Wilderness Area. We may have some of the BLM people who made this happen with us.

This will be a through-hike so we'll need car tricks. We'll leave a car or two on the east end where Garfias Wash flows into Lake Pleasant, then pile into others and drive around to the west end. Regular street cars are OK for the east end, the west end takes high clearance.

We need a recommendation for Mexican food place in the northwest end of town for afterwards. I'm fine with Te-Wa's recommendation but open to local preference.

http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7609

The route is down Garfias Wash from North Castle Hot Srings Road almost to Lake Pleasant. If you go to Google Maps , click "Terrain," and search for "Garfias Mountain" the wash is just north (up) from there and this will start to make sense. Scroll around and you'll see the route down the wash.

And thanks to Todd, a TOPO map is in the gallery:
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albwb11&id=Hell_s_Canyon_Hike_001&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Come on everybody, this is not quite an amble but it's not a butt kicker either, and it's on the west side!

Suz

PostPosted: 2/24/2009, 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

windymesa wrote:
Hey... sorry.. been in Hell's Canyon for a couple of days... thanks for the hike, great day, typical BLM trail, and good crowd to run with. See you in the Mazatzals.

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! hissy fit
Suz

PostPosted: 2/25/2009, 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Multi Multi It works, it works! Beer Spinning Bouncing Spinning on my head Yep, it's a swimmer! Yahoo!

Reader's Digest version of the accident.....I was hopping and skipping over rocks and water to quickly set up my camera on the tripod for a group shot when my camera slipped out of my hand and landed with a thump on the rocks and in a pool of water. I quickly grabbed it, tried to shake off the water and take a picture. I got a zap and an error code. I pulled the card and battery and passed it to Ambika. Al had an emergency towel (?) in his pack and handed it to Ambika. She started drying everything. I'm sure it was their quick action that made a major difference.

Thank you to my camera rescue team (Ambika and Al) and all the advice of everyone to wait a few days before trying it out. It works!! Oh my heck, who would have thought!!!??!!!

Now I can focus on that gold again.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 2/25/2009, 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We were all looking at the rocks, they were so pretty. Didn't know Dave was a geology expert ?? So that is why he didn't come back with us.... hmmm Dave since you've been lost in Hell's Canyon for a few days Laughing do you know what those beautiful turquoise green rocks were ... they were just so beautiful. Thought the rocks had copper in them but I don't know. And the purple color caught me totally off guard. I've never seen such a color rock. Brings to mind the song America with the Purple Mountains majesty reference.

Haven't worked on the few pics I took but will get to them in next day or so. Just from my point and click so nothing marvelous. Haven't had time to look at any since Suz first posting.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
joelh

PostPosted: 2/25/2009, 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz- Sorry about my disappearing... On my way to Valley Luna I got a call from my mom reminding me of some prior commitments to my parents that evening that I had forgotten about, so I had to high-tail over there. Of course, I had not bothered to get anybody's phone number, thus I had no way to call. Sad

I'm sure I'll be out hiking with ya'll somertime in the future. It was a blast!
azhiker96

PostPosted: 2/25/2009, 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My pictures are up in a nested album. The colors in the rocks were amazing and I don't think I did them justice. They are more vibrant in my memory than my pictures. Suz, I'm glad you're camera is alright. That was quite a scare!
Suz

PostPosted: 2/25/2009, 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

George you got some great snake shots!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 2/25/2009, 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great news on the camera! Hallelejah, the prodigal walkie talkie and camera have returned. Don't we need to kill a fat calf and change some water to wine now?
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 2/25/2009, 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
Great news on the camera! Hallelejah, the prodigal walkie talkie and camera have returned.

"All's Well that Ends Well" as that English Writer chap was wont to say.

Quote:
Don't we need to kill a fat calf and change some water to wine now?

I thought we had to throw a virgin into a volcano? Your way sounds easier.
windymesa

PostPosted: 2/25/2009, 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A sad day for Burro lovers: 11 dead burros found Monday just south of the Hells Canyon Wilderness area, just north of Morgan City Wash, and just to the west of the Park road we all took north of 74 to get to Garfias Wash. Probably shot last week.

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/phoenixmetro/story/11-wild-burros-shot-to-death-northeast-of-Phoenix/YNF0Qp4BekGVHBLBdVC06w.cspx
Suz

PostPosted: 2/25/2009, 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Crazy
Suz

PostPosted: 2/25/2009, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

joelh wrote:
Suz- Sorry about my disappearing... On my way to Valley Luna I got a call from my mom reminding me of some prior commitments to my parents that evening that I had forgotten about, so I had to high-tail over there. Of course, I had not bothered to get anybody's phone number, thus I had no way to call. Sad

I'm sure I'll be out hiking with ya'll somertime in the future. It was a blast!

I read your message on HAZ so I knew what happened. We understand, it's okay---left more chips and salsa for the rest of us Wink

Have a happy birthday tomorrow! (a little in advance) Margarita

one more little question......does anyone know if it is Javelina season now?
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 2/25/2009, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
one more little question......does anyone know if it is Javelina season now?

Simple answer - Yes.
Long answer there are three Spring seasons for Pigs.
In 2009:
Jan. 1-22 (Archery Season)
Feb. 6-15 (Handgun/Muzzleloader Season)
Feb. 20-26 (Rifle Season)
We were in Unit 26M. I don't know what the statistics are for this unit, but usually the odds of winning a permit in the draw are less than 33% and then the odds of successfully "harvesting" a javelina run about 22%. Hunters have long odds against them. AZ Game & Fish posts the stats in the annual Hunting Guide. Permits are drawn 4 to 6 months before the hunt. Hunters usually scout and know an area intimately before they hunt it, especially where the water holes are located. Almost all serious hunters are responsible stewards of the wilderness. All serious hunters that I know would be deeply disturbed by the killing of those burros. The serious hunting community is slandered by the actions of those idiots.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 2/25/2009, 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Now I understand your PM Suz.
Very Sad about the burro's. Not a good thing Crying or Very sad
We all got so excited and stopped the cars just to get some pics of them up on the hills.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
oliverr99

PostPosted: 2/25/2009, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OHHH, I got your Pm Suz before I read this. Understandable. That really is sad. Poor burros.
windymesa

PostPosted: 2/26/2009, 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No burro killers found yet.... Crying or Very sad but word on the street is that money is pouring in from all over the nation to up the reward. So if you want to collect the reward, start hanging out in bars that burro killers like to hang out in, buy everybody drinks, get'em drunk, and their lips will loosen up. I would start in the burger and beer joint near Pleasant Valley Road and 74, and the bars in Wickenburg. It's not as lucrative as picking up gold nuggets in Hells Canyon, but worth a go. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: