ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Date for Feb GHOTM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

What day works?
Feb 14
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Feb 15
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Feb 21
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Feb 22
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 8

Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/25/2008, 11:02 am    Post subject: Date for Feb GHOTM Reply to topic Reply with quote

What day works for the most for this 8-9 mile bottom-of-the-wash hike? Terrain is not particularly challenging, by definition this is DOWN the wash, so not a lot of climbing although there are a few climb-arounds where it gets rugged in the bottom. Expect some rock hopping.

The Hells Canyon Wilderness is located northwest of Lake Pleasant. If you've driven past Castle Hot Springs, the Wilderness is the pile of mountains to the west. This hike celebrates the BLM acquisition of the last private in-holding in this Wilderness.

This will be a through-hike so we'll need car tricks. We'll leave a car or two on the east end where Garfias Wash flows into Lake Pleasant, then pile into others and drive around to the west end. Regular street cars are OK for the east end, the west end takes high clearance.

We need a recommendation for Mexican food place in the northwest end of town for afterwards.

http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7609

The route is down Garfias Wash from North Castle Hot Srings Road almost to Lake Pleasant. If you go to Google Maps , click "Terrain," and search for "Garfias Mountain" the wash is just north (up) from there and this will start to make sense. Scroll around and you'll see the route down the wash.

And thaks to Todd, a TOPO map is in the gallery:
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albwb11&id=Hell_s_Canyon_Hike_001&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/25/2008, 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn, this place is the real deal. Dont overlook it!
(plus, they have real tequila!)

what i do
oliverr99

PostPosted: 12/26/2008, 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have been there many years ago, in high school. Also, there is Valle Luna, off of 35th Ave and Bell
rayhiker

PostPosted: 12/26/2008, 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn, I hope you end up going on Feb. 21 as this is likely the only day that will really work for me.
Suz

PostPosted: 12/27/2008, 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

oliverr99 wrote:
I have been there many years ago, in high school. Also, there is Valle Luna, off of 35th Ave and Bell

Ok VALLE LUNA Margarita
beckett

PostPosted: 12/27/2008, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

All four dates listed are still open on my calendar. Come on people and get in your vote. I'm looking forward to seeing another GHOTM on the calendar! Very Happy
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/30/2008, 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's getting time to put this on the calendar as a definate. Any last minute votes for a date? Going once . . . Going twice . . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: