ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
2009 Hiking Goals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azhiker96

PostPosted: 12/27/2008, 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, my hiking goals are pretty simple for 2009.

1. Hike Paria with my brother.
2. Take Deanda backpacking into Grand Canyon.
3. Check out some new (to me) canyons in the Supes.
4. Hike some of the North Rim trails in Grand Canyon.

I share a personal goal of losing a few pounds and also want to visit my new grandson shortly after he arrives in Nebraska the end of February. Very Happy
sbkelley

PostPosted: 12/27/2008, 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

These goals are always so fluid...

1) Humphreys-Agassiz in winter
2) Newman-Picacho double-header
3) Harcuvar and Smith Peaks
4) Backpack off the North Rim
5) Hike in the Kofa (Signal Peak, maybe?)
6) Head back to Reavis Ranch for an overnighter
7) Blue Range backpack
Cool Miller Peak
9) Gannett Peak, WY

and we'll see what else shakes out
Desert-Boonie

PostPosted: 12/27/2008, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

All the hikes that are 10 miles or less and no more than 1 1/2 hour drive from Phoenix. So if anyone knows some great hikes to do that fits these requirements please let me know. Laughing

Ken

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
moodrets

PostPosted: 12/28/2008, 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nothing too concrete yet, but this year I hope to do a:

1)Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim as a day hike
2)Superstition Ridgeline yoyo (with friends -- I can never get any of my peers to go hiking with me :/)
3)John Muir Trail (possibly a yoyo, depends on how I end up getting out there and if I have to leave my car at one end of the trail)
4)Maybe a section of the PCT
5)Humphreys Peak
6)I'll be road-tripping this summer and will probably visit a number of national parks, so I'll do some solid hiking there
7)I will have a late start this semester and so intend to do a hike every single morning of the year. School's near camelback, so I think I'll climb it twice each morning and steadily increase my backpack load until I'm comfortable jogging up laden with ~40 lbs.

As a general goal I want to get myself into peak condition for ultramarathons and long-distance trail runs. Ideally I'd like to reach the point where I can jog ~60 miles a day consistently and with decent elevation change, though that's still probably a couple of years off ;D

I also need to start rock climbing a bit more.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/28/2008, 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

moodrets wrote:

3)John Muir Trail (possibly a yoyo, depends on how I end up getting out there and if I have to leave my car at one end of the trail)

JMT is a section of PCT

also, the average weight of a PCT thruhiker's gear/pack is 12 lbs.
you should check into gear lists before you consider a 40lb load.
this is also something that interests me but I dont think i can swing 12 days off this year. Crying or Very sad

what i do
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/28/2008, 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
PageRob wrote:
Trishness wrote:

***Navajo Mountain Naatsis'a a n

Quote:
Navajos consider Navajo Mountain as a sacred area, and ascending it is forbidden.

Not unless you have a local with you.

Yes I know this and it is already covered.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 12/29/2008, 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a simple one:

To actually go on a hike at some point.

My back has been causing me problems, so it's been nearly a year since my last time on the trail.

I'm a simple man with simple needs.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 12/29/2008, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

MikeInFHAZ wrote:
grand enchantment section from First Water to Safford in one week

entire Chiricahua Ridgeline

hike upstream to the base of the falls in N. fork of Deadman Canyon

hike into WCC from the headwaters of Clover creek and out on the Calloway tr. after exploring some side canyons

do that E. Verde river loop ive been eyeing (city creek trailhead to e. verde and semi-cross country up to Twin Buttes then over into Hardscrabble canyon, back down to city creek)

start at Marshall lake and hike down to the bottom of the Rim, near Pine t/h then walk Crackerjack rd. to Maz divide and take it all the way to Slate creek divide. If time permits, jump into sycamore creek for a bit until it crosses the rd near Mt. Ord. Hitchhike home! Bang

that's it. everything else i had planned i finished last year.

I did not catch the VA trip to hit some of the AT with your ol' buddies DesertrOUx and Hoffmaster? There is going to be SO many supreme hammock spots and glorious green you will be jealous....

-Hunter S. Thompson
Hnak

PostPosted: 12/29/2008, 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One current goal I have is to climb the Battleship again, with no problems this time...
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/29/2008, 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well I only listed stuff that i have spied on other trips. like the Clover Creek thing. A totally different way to reach Maxwell and the confluence.

im always up for new territory too but I wanna get some of this good stuff off my list before I go out to new "trails". Im doing much more off trail hiking and that is a good, good thing.

id like to get on SNP and JMT too. Im sure i could do the JMT in 8 days. Maybe 7, with good fortune.

what i do
moodrets

PostPosted: 12/29/2008, 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

MikeInFHAZ wrote:
moodrets wrote:

JMT is a section of PCT

also, the average weight of a PCT thruhiker's gear/pack is 12 lbs.
you should check into gear lists before you consider a 40lb load.
this is also something that interests me but I dont think i can swing 12 days off this year. Crying or Very sad

Hmmm, perhaps I should have clarified -- a section of the PCT not contained within the JMT is what I also might do; I mean, hey, as long as I'm up there, and so long as I have the extra time (ah, the wonders of being a summer-free student), I might as well go a wee bit further. :]

Hmmm, I didn't know the average pct hiker was an ultralight ~backpacker. Oh well, no matter, I'm going for the more... traditional (yes, that's it!) base weight (I imagined 20 lbs for everything [likely less though, as I intend to use a hammock and not a tent] + food/water = ~30 lbs? Is that a poor estimate? 40 seems good to get to just in case, and if it ends up being less then all the easier for me, eh?)
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/29/2008, 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

12lbs is not ultralight, although its "very light". Smile

yes, lighter would be easier as far as work is concerned.
most people that finish a thru hike are UL hikers. It seems a no-brainer equation in that respect.
There is good reason why SMD, TarpTent, Gossamer Gear, ULA and other UL cottage companies have popular booths at the AZDPCTKO shindig.
Nobody has to hike long trails with UL gear, but it is a sensible option. But hey, HYOH and I'll hike mine Cool

I can do it w/ sub 10#, so can you.

BTW, what hammock?

what i do
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 12/29/2008, 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

1 White Rim Road
2 Mojave Road
3 El Camino del Diablo... Oh wait, hiking goals? Let's see

More backpacking to fly fishing locations
Long, flat, scenic high mile days
More Utah stuff

Kerouac
moodrets

PostPosted: 12/29/2008, 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh my, my tilde was in the wrong place ;o

And while I had intended to do the jmt in a week or two, in reality I'll have plenty of time to spare if I should so happen to find it difficult, so no worries there, I guess.

Hmmm, and I'm hiking on a rather... limited budget, and from what I can tell the lighter a given piece of equipment is the greater its demand and thus the greater its price. I figure I can make the easy gear myself (and possibly save on cost and weight) but for the more difficult items I'm stuck using dicount ware. Hell, my backpack alone makes a sub 10 lb base rather unfeasible Laughing

And no clue what hammock, haven't yet bought one. Might try to craft one of my own but if that (and it probably will) fails I'll just buy whatever's cheap and well reviewed.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/29/2008, 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

skeeter beeter by Travel Hammock
Claytor Jungle or Mosquito by Tom Claytor
those 2 have netting and are both affordable

Warbonnet Blackbird
JrB BMBH
those 2 are more technical and are real camping hammocks.

You can make most of your gear to save $$
check out Jeff's hammock pages for complete knowledge or visit www.hammockforums.net to get the scoop.

UL gear is actually cheaper than its heavier counterparts (excluding Cuben)
most of my UL gear is made in USA and cost was lower than Chinese made flashy big box stuff. Although my favorite pack was made in Vietnam, it was still $80 and I have been using it for 5 years. (golite jam)
my other favorite Question pack was made in NY by Joe Valesko out of Cuben Fiber and it cost $60 and weighs 3.9 ounces. It carries a 15lb load nicely.
I could get you rigged for less than $500 and <10lbs

check out the pic below which is all homemade. It is made of 1.9 ripstop with a 1.1 ripstop pad sleeve for temps above 40° and I also have various homemade underquilts. My 25° 3/4 length underquilt in combination with a 1/4" foam pad in the sleeve will take me to the mide teens. Betcha didnt think that could be done in a hammock! (and still under 10# pack, actually closer to 7 Wink )
the tarp is 11x10' and is the heaviest (but optional) segment of the shelter, @ 19oz including the tensioners guyline and stakes. The hammock itself weighs 12.7 oz and I use trekking poles as spreader bars. You could say Im fairly proud of it. I made one like it for my son, just down-sized a bit. Cool

long story short, a goal of mine in '09 is to make more great gear

what i do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: