ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Looking for 3 Backpackers: Grand Canyon May 16-23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
disciple

PostPosted: 4/6/2009, 10:04 am    Post subject: Looking for 3 Backpackers: Grand Canyon May 16-23 Reply to topic Reply with quote

My 19-year old son and I are looking for 3 experienced backpackers to join us on a hike off the Grand Canyon's South Rim. You will not have to pay anything for the permit costs; and you will pay your own costs for your gear, food, vehicle entrance fee (if you drive your own), and first night hotel or South Rim Campground fee. You would be welcome to travel with us in our mini-van (it has room for 5 hikers and gear) to the South Rim. Alternatively, you could drive up early morning May 17, pay your own park-entrance fee, hike on your own time, hike either the South Kaibab Trail or Bright Angel Trail, and meet us at the Bright Angel Campground. Here is our plan:

May 16 Drive to a South Rim hotel (probably Tusayan)

May 17 Hike 4:30 a.m. South Kaibab Trail approximately 7.5 miles to Bright Angel Campground (Phantom Ranch area)

May 18 Layover at Bright Angel Campground

May 19 Hike 5:30 a.m. approximately 4.5 miles to Indian Garden Campground

May 20 Hike 4:30 a.m. approximately 10.7 miles to Monument Creek

May 21 Layover at Monument Creek

May 22 Hike 5:30 a.m. approximately 4.0 miles to Hermit Creek

May 23 Hike out 4:30 a.m. approximately 7.5 miles to Hermit's Rest

We have a lot of multi-day Grand Canyon backpacking experience. This trek will be warm, so that is why we plan to start hiking so early in the morning. However, the route is not that difficult. Water will be available at each campsite. If you are interested, please contact me here or at theophilus59@cox.net as soon as possible.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/6/2009, 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That sounds fun. I am having to work at that time. I'll post this to keep your thread up at the top of the home page.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 4/7/2009, 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

FYI, I did a day hike down Hermit to the River then across the Tonto to Indian Garden and out BA a few weeks ago. The weather was perfect and the scenery stunning as usual.

Hermit Creek is good for water. However, Monument which usually has a good flow this time of year was only flowing about 4 to 6" wide. It was more than adequate for replenishing the water supply, just know it isn't what it normally is.
aspen_oaks

PostPosted: 4/7/2009, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was at monument creek last weekend and there was barely enough trickle there to fill up. Where it comes back up out of the ground near granite rapids though there was plenty, but that would be a pain to hike down there to fill up.
disciple

PostPosted: 4/7/2009, 7:32 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have a great spring.
disciple

PostPosted: 4/7/2009, 7:34 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the Update Reply to topic Reply with quote

Interesting news on Monument. Hopefully, it will flow enough to replenish the water. It is good to know the beach is only a mile or so away. Have a great spring.
disciple

PostPosted: 4/7/2009, 7:37 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the Update on Monument Reply to topic Reply with quote

I appreciate your report. Hopefully we can squeeze enough water out of the campsite area. Enjoy the spring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: