ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mazatzal Divide Trail - AZT Passage #23 Backpack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(9) (3) (1)
User
desertgirl
Shawn
GTG
windymesa
paintninaz
Hikngrl
Tom Treks
outside1
azhiker96
User
Davis2001R6
jdahling
aspen_oaks
User
threedogz
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
desertgirl
PostPosted: 12/18/2008, 12:01 pm    Post subject: Mazatzal Divide Trail - AZT Passage #23 Backpack Reply with quote

Come backpack the Mazatzal Divide Trail - the premier hike in the Mazatzal Wilderness. This trail stays on or near the crest for its entire run from Mt Peely TH to City CreeK. This also forms Passage #23 on the Arizona Trail!

When: March 27 Friday - March 29 Sunday. We will be leaving at 9:00 am from My Peeley TH. Shawn, Ambika, Dave will be camping at the TH.

Rating: Strenuous. Long miles (~ 28 miles) , sketchy sesaonal water, 3600ft elevation gain with rolling elevation profile.

Trip Leads: desertgirl & Shawn. This will be a loosely organized group of Solo Hikers... So you need to do your homework, know the details and assess your abilities before you sign up.

Details: This will be a shuttle hike with 2 nights on the trail. We will be camping at 6000ft + elevation. Water should be generally availaable along the trail at the different springs/seeps. 2 vehicles (Shawn/Ambika) will be staged at the City Creek TH for shuttle back to Mt Peeley TH.

Trail Information:
AZT Passage Info: http://www.aztrail.org/passages/pass_23.html

Dayhikes: There are options for some loop day hikes and for joining in partways. Access to the Divide trail is possible via Y Basin #44 (6 miles); Barnhardt #43 (6.2 miles); Rock Creek #42 (3.3 miles)

windymesa

PostPosted: 3/23/2009, 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was a "for sure", but was really secretly a "maybe".. but now I am a "for sure". I can shuttle you and desetgirl from City Creek to Mt Pealey if you return the favor at the end of the hike.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 3/23/2009, 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

windymesa wrote:
I was a "for sure", but was really secretly a "maybe"..
Oh, I feel so used!

windymesa wrote:

I can shuttle you and desetgirl from City Creek to Mt Peeley if you return the favor at the end of the hike.
Glad to, and can take other drivers as well!

This is coming together. The secret to car tricks is to just do it. No easy way around it.

We should agree upon a start time Friday morning. Three of us will set up the shuttle and camp at the Mt Peely TH Thursday night. So we'll be ready to go pretty early, but understand those coming from town don't want to get up too much before breakfast. It's not that far to the TH tho so we should be able to get going before the heat of the day is upon us. Is 8 AM too early, maybe 9? What's reasonable? Speak up now . . .

I'm also going to ask that we all agree that if you aren't there for the agreed-upon group start, you really are a solo hiker, we will assume you bailed and will not worry about you. If you catch up or blow into camp the first night fine, but we ain't waitin.

OK?
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 3/23/2009, 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Getting my food together tonight! Need to make and dehydrate some lentils and potates for breakfasts.... Don't even know if I even remember how to pack for a back packing trip! I am getting so excited! I will have to resort to making a list again to make sure I have every thing, even then I can almost promise I will forget something!

I want to shine!
Suz

PostPosted: 3/23/2009, 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

windymesa wrote:
I was going to to "this"... that weekend:

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1778399&server=vimeo.com&amp

..but, I want some real action, and so, will go with the advanced and crazy type backpackers on Arizona Trail Passage #23.

Holy Canoli! I just watched this video.............how wild is that? Pete???

Hope you guys have a great time....looking forward to seeing your pictures.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 3/24/2009, 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:

I'm also going to ask that we all agree that if you aren't there for the agreed-upon group start, you really are a solo hiker, we will assume you bailed and will not worry about you. If you catch up or blow into camp the first night fine, but we ain't waitin.

OK?

I think being at the TH ready to hike by 9am sounds very reasonable. I totally agree with this too, we're all adults and able to tell time.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 3/24/2009, 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
Don't even know if I even remember how to pack for a back packing trip!

I just set up my solo tent just to be sure all the parts were there & I knew what to do with them.

I am also excited that I have been cleared of any pneumonial/bronchitis by the Drs.....So as I wheeze my way up hill I can just say I am out of shape!!! I was down n out sick for 2 weeks Sad was very worried I would not be able to hike at all....

But now all is looking good! I am excited to hike Hiking
Shawn

PostPosted: 3/24/2009, 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I packed up my new pack, and seem to be about ready. I'm psyched, long overdue for some physical activity.

I remember an on-trail itinery of camp spots and daily mileage here somewhere, will have to dig that up.

I just finished listening to "River of Doubt" the story of T Roosevelts journey down a previously unexplored river in Brazil. That was a high adventure! Makes me appreciate our high-tech gear and thorough mapping. All they knew when they started was the lat/long of where they might come out, nothing about the river or distance or conditions.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/24/2009, 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn, you will want to camp at Bear Saddle, good water nearby. Night two at Hopi Spring. There will likely be water along the way near Horse Camp seep and in the washes along the way. DO THIS: when you cross the drainage that comes down from Sandy Saddle, go downstream (sans packs) about 5 minutes to the edge of Deadman Canyon and peer down into the twin 250' waterfalls. Its worth the easy scramble down canyon. I wont be on this trip after all but Im going to be on the Maz Divide trail near Barnhardt saddle for a small time, maybe we will run into your group Sat morning. Im going in to reach the base of the above mentioned waterfalls.

what i do
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 3/24/2009, 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

2 Weeks Ambika !!! YUK ! Glad to hear you are all better or just about. All that fresh air will clear your lungs in no time.

Have a nice trip all!

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
outside1

PostPosted: 3/24/2009, 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK as usual I have not been on posting much, but I have been reading and I too am excited to do a bit of backpacking it has been to long. Anyway I though I would chime in here and agree with a 9AM start on Friday. Does anyone have more info on directions to the trail head? Can I make it with a Honda Civic? Is FR 201 marked from the Beeline Hwy (can I find it)?
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/24/2009, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, shoot. You guys have a blast!
Shawn

PostPosted: 3/24/2009, 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tony,
I don't know about the civic, but suspect "probably." Google Maps, Mt Peeley, AZ and set it to Map. When I was there several years ago, FR 201 really stopped at the trail head, in spite of what google shows.
outside1

PostPosted: 3/24/2009, 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Shawn , it looks like I will just drive the truck. And I am going with the directions I got for Google they should due just fine.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 3/24/2009, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here we come!! I am almost packed.....
desertgirl

PostPosted: 3/24/2009, 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Diane -- Do you want me bring some extra java juice for you -- I have a ton
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: