ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
2009 GHOTM LIST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
GTG
PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 6:04 am    Post subject: 2009 GHOTM LIST Reply with quote

For those new or not in the know, GHOTM = Group Hike Of The Month. We schedule monthly hikes through the site for members to "sponsor" or lead a hike of their desire. Below is a list of scheduled GHOTM for 2009.

We need interested folks to lead these hikes so get in here y'all!

January 17th (GTG) - Elephant Mountain up to the Fortress
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8076

February (Shawn) - Hell's Canyon Wilderness

March 27th - 29th (Shawn/desertgirl) - Mazatzal Divide Trail - AZT Passage #23 Backpack
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97818#97818

April

May

June

July

August

September

October (desertgirl) Granitr Mountain

November 7 - 8 (RedRoxx44) - for Ash Creek Galiuros for fall photo shooting. Those not interested in that can hike to Bassett Peak and back for a workout.

December

desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hmm 3 day weekend in Feb would be 14-16th. I was thinking mid-late March ... a bit warmer but still fairly cool. Shawn could you look into the water sources. Also there's some chatter about the trail not being where it is shown on the maps ...
Hnak

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I haven't hiked the Pine Mountain loop for almost 20 years, but I've been thinking about it for quite some time, and I'd like to do it again. How about doing that in September? That will give me time to get back into some kind of shape and check it out beforehand....

Ambika, if I can help with the Granite Mountain thing, just let me know...

Hank
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IMHO----

Going on a group hike is not a reason to sit back and expect everything to be done for you. I will give directions and try to secure a camp area and provide information but I expect EVERYONE to have some knowledge of the area, knowledge of their capability and make arrangements to have a co-hiker---if they need one, --with them.

I know this area well and will roam around and try to see who is where but I will not lead up to Bassett, make photos and be both leader and sweep. I did a smaller invite several years ago for some members here and on HAZ and all worked out ( Suz found her car keys). I didn't see most of the invitees for the whole day!!! But those who wanted to hike to the peak did ( Preston Sands, Nick Fraley) I met JoeB and Matt, and never did see Ambika or Suz. This area is friendly to all levels of hiker, you only need to go at your own pace, and in the canyon go up it or down it.

So, despite my stern tone, come on come all, it's a great place in Az......
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Hmm 3 day weekend in Feb would be 14-16th. I was thinking mid-late March ... a bit warmer but still fairly cool. Shawn could you look into the water sources. Also there's some chatter about the trail not being where it is shown on the maps ...

Either of the last two weekends in March will work, will need to take a day off to do 28 miles with a shuttle. I can check with the AZT Steward for the area as to water. They have been up there lately removing deadfall from the fire, but we'll need more current information as we get closer. The trail goes thru, whether it tracks a map exactly is not a big deal.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
When I hiked with the Sierra Club, new folks showd up for the "C" hikes.

Yeah, that's the way a lot of cycling clubs are set up. Seems like a good idea. Everyone can be involved, without having to kill themselves to keep up.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have to agree with a lot of people on here. I would rather see a calendar full of hikes, multiple hikes per month than 1 set hike every month. I'm just as guilty as some of the others for not advertising certain hikes on here because I didn't want an unknown to sign up for it. Like Letty says if your going for a hike somewhere you should KNOW some info about the trail your going on and be capable of hiking it by yourself. Don't expect the trip leader to scout the route in front as well as make sure the people in the back are ok.

Hooli the hikes are too far away for you yet you manage to take spend a few weeks every year up at the canyon? Seems pretty far to me.

I never seen mention of it once on a GHOTM page that the group says were trying to break "X" # of hours for a hike. If certain people want to finish a hike in a certain time, who cares.

Friends of people being left behind?.....if you bring a friend you should be responsible for them. I'm not going to bring someone new to the group out and leave alone at the back of the pack if that's where they happen to be. If they choose to hike up front of faster than me that's fine, but I'm certainly not leaving anyone I bring out behind.

Some hikes are more challenging than others. If I set up a difficult hike I try my best to describe said hike screen unknowns as best as possible before the hike.

As for being a group of younger members, I really don't see that being one of those "younger members". Maybe groups like meetup or meetin have a younger core, but I don't this one does.

Like Diane said, if you want to see a shorter or easier hike on the calendar then put it on there and set it up to be the leader. If people want to go there then they will set it up.

Back to my multiple hikes a month idea, I think it's a good idea, months like March, April, October and November are just to nice out here to only have 1 hike on the list.
Suz

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

RedRoxx44 wrote:
( Suz found her car keys). I didn't see most of the invitees for the whole day!!! .... never did see Ambika or Suz. This area is friendly to all levels of hiker, you only need to go at your own pace, and in the canyon go up it or down it.

So, despite my stern tone, come on come all, it's a great place in Az......

Yep, lost my keys, found my car keys, met Matt and Liz, Digital Sherpa and 2 other people that joined this site. Got some beautiful shots, had fun camping, and saw some new terrain.

I say let's pencil in Letty's idea....or Letty----I'm penciling your idea and hope to get some others in the carpool with me.

Hey---anyone think about doing the 4 peaks of the White Tanks? about 5,000 feet of accumulated gain.

Anyone interested in the Houseboat idea for a few days?

Rob, wonder if there is interest in an overnight at Hackberry? What's the canyon that Matt did up there.....Rider Canyon....can we do that? I'd still like to the vermillion cliff's ridgeline....maybe stop in to visit the condors...
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 7:07 pm    Post subject: ........ Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm all for multiple hikes per month, shoot anyone can post one and get it going. I've got Letty's hike up. Anyone else?
Rob, got a month? Shawn, you and desertgirl got that trip worked out yet?

GTG
Suz

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Todd!

Tim what about a middle of the night summer full moon hike......another r-2-river or something else?............before you leave...for some reason I think May 9th is a full moon.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am very interested in Hackberry. Would love to go there again as a backpacking trip. I also want to do the full moon hike! That would be awesome!
I know I don't sign up for too many trips, but I feel as though I might keep people behind. If there is more for, go at your own pace type of hikes, or places where hikes has different trails for different levels, I am there. I don't want to slow anyone down. Some hikes I can go faster on, just depends. Any case, I want to get out more and hike or backpack, just not alone!
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Thanks Todd!

Tim what about a middle of the night summer full moon hike......another r-2-river or something else?............before you leave...for some reason I think May 9th is a full moon.

2009 Moon Phases -
http://www.griffithobs.org/skyfiles/skymoonphases2009.html

GTG
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
Suz wrote:
Thanks Todd!

2009 Moon Phases -
http://www.griffithobs.org/skyfiles/skymoonphases2009.html

GTG

I won't be here in Mid summer, May will be packed for me and I'm leave in June. April would probably be cold up there for a full moon. I'm sure I'll be doing a Rim-River before I leave. I'll put it on the calendar when I know when.
Suz

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone want to try Crater Canyon again? Rolling Eyes
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Don't anyone forget the Climb to Conquer Cancer Feb 28, and Hart Prairie sometime in August.
PageRob

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hackberry is an option. I have hikes I am going to do in 2009, and some of those could be easily turned into GHOTMs. There are others that would be fun to do, either alone or as a GHOTM, but I haven't put into a firm place in my calendar. The first category includes either of 2009's PDRs and this Grand Gulch thing I've got going for March. Hackberry, something on the Kaibab, and the Escalante adventure all fall into the second. I want to do them all, but only the first few I've actually got pretty firm. If there's interest in something else up here like Hackberry, etc. as a GHOTM destination, I'll be happy to organize and lead. I had fun doing so this past April with the Paria.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: