ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
2009 GHOTM LIST
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 6:04 am    Post subject: 2009 GHOTM LIST Reply to topic Reply with quote

For those new or not in the know, GHOTM = Group Hike Of The Month. We schedule monthly hikes through the site for members to "sponsor" or lead a hike of their desire. Below is a list of scheduled GHOTM for 2009.

We need interested folks to lead these hikes so get in here y'all!

January 17th (GTG) - Elephant Mountain up to the Fortress
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8076

February (Shawn) - Hell's Canyon Wilderness

March 27th - 29th (Shawn/desertgirl) - Mazatzal Divide Trail - AZT Passage #23 Backpack
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97818#97818

April

May

June

July

August

September

October (desertgirl) Granitr Mountain

November 7 - 8 (RedRoxx44) - for Ash Creek Galiuros for fall photo shooting. Those not interested in that can hike to Bassett Peak and back for a workout.

December
evenstar

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd happily lead a GHOTM in White Tanks Regional park, but seems most see it as whimpy and a joke, and of course, "way ot West". Well virtually all the hikes the past few years are more "epic" in nature and way out east. You might ask Linda's Becketts' or Dougs opinions on that.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I will offer Nov 7,8 2009 for Ash Creek Galiuros for fall photo shooting. Those not interested in that can hike to Bassett Peak and back for a workout.

I have my own thoughts on leading a group hike. I like Shawn's idea--our group of solo hikers.

Plan on car camping.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

RedRoxx44 wrote:
I will offer Nov 7,8 2009 for Ash Creek Galiuros for fall photo shooting. Those not interested in that can hike to Bassett Peak and back for a workout.

I have my own thoughts on leading a group hike. I like Shawn's idea--our group of solo hikers.

Plan on car camping.

I'd be in for that. People may want the Ridgeline again in Nov. but I think maybe we need to branch out more?

GTG
Suz

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hooli I like your idea. Remember the loop we did when the wildflowers were out of control, great hike.

I like Letty's idea, too. Gorgeous area, she has the color thing timed to a "t", and everyone can do it.

I'm thinking I'd love to lead a water/canyoneering adventure in June or July --something to beat the heat---cool water and shade....if there is interest.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
I'd happily lead a GHOTM in White Tanks Regional park, but seems most see it as whimpy and a joke, and of course, "way ot West". Well virtually all the hikes the past few years are more "epic" in nature and way out east. You might ask Linda's Becketts' or Dougs opinions on that.

Hooli, don't be so negative! Just offer a hike and a month and those who want to go will go and those who don't will not. It is as simple as that. If you are offering to lead a hike it will be frowned upon if you bail at the last minute so be sure you want to do it before you offer it. There needs to be a variety of hikes in a variety of places so every one can take part at one time or another and a day hike in the White Tanks is better than no hike at all as is what happened during a month or two this year. No one should ever feel they can't offer to lead a hike, if it is a hike they want to do. Not every one will want to do it but there will be those who do.

I want to shine!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
RedRoxx44 wrote:

Plan on car camping.

I'd be in for that. People may want the Ridgeline again in Nov. but I think maybe we need to branch out more?

GTG

Just because we schedule a different hike in November doesn't mean we can't still do the Ridgeline in either November or yet another month...

We are on a roll! Let's get those months filled up this year!!!!

I want to shine!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the schedule change.

The group of solo hikers will hike the Hells Canyon Wilderness in Feburary, I'm thinking the 7th unless someone has a different preference.

This is copied from my post on the area earlier:

--------------------------------
I've had the good fortune to be peripherally involved in securing into public ownership the last parcel of private land within the Hells Canyon Wilderness, twenty-five miles north of Phoenix. This weekend I accompanied Wilderness Land Trust and Bureau of Land Management folks on a short overnight trip into the property.

It was a bit toasty at a 4 PM arrival at the TH. This is two-wheel drive access, off Castle Hot Springs Road, then a mile or so south to Garfias Wash on a lesser road which roughly forms the west boundary of the Wilderness, The route in is down this shallow wash; the TH register is on your left. BLM has installed a serious ATV barrier—BRAVO—at the boundary.

Shortly less than a mile down the wash, at the boundary of the newly-acquired 640 acres, the wash pinches down to an impressive gate. The water-carved red granite floor requires a bit of climbing. An ancient two-track trail rises to the north, remnants of homesteading days. We continued over the granite and down the wash, passing under a cottonwood stand. As we passed immediately below the tree, a shrill scream scared the bejeezus out of all of us, more so me because of my audio amplification. Seems we were disturbing a nesting hawk and her little ones, and Mom was not pleased. She circled around and Dad joined in, neither a bit bashful with their displeasure.

A camper-sized cottonwood lies across the route shortly beyond the rookery; it was laid over years ago but obviously kept its tap-root in the sub-flow of the stream and has grown into its own grove, making a nice place for a shady stop. Immediately to the north is a mesquite bosque with evidence of long-past cattle tending in among the trees. A short ways further on the other side is another level bench with similar traces of habitation-remains of a foundation, bed stead and stove parts. It’s been a long time since anyone slept there but it’s fun to find these remains of the “olden days.”

The goal of the trip was the narrow, scenic Hells Canyon; a rocky cleft about two miles from the TH and on the east side of the recent acquisition. I was a short ways ahead of the others and stopped to wait. As I turned to look back I noticed a circular dark spot in the sand at my feet. Whoa! or some other expletive better left deleted, it was a rattlesnake, coiled and cocked but not making a sound. Move away slowly my . . . foot! He or she never moved or made a sound as we gathered to examine it, from a distance.

I took the sweep position, figuring I’d done my part. Within fifty yards we saw the snake’s younger sibling, maybe 18 inches long, moving across the path. Another wide berth given.

We explored the mouth of the narrow canyon for a few minutes then reversed course to find a campsite on a bench, knowing we had to pass the snake to do so. As we approached, a gila monster ran across our path. I’ve not seem them move so fast but they can scurry if necessary. He ran right for the snake, but turned off at the last minute, so we had no entertainment. The snake was still visible but had nested into the sand and was level with the surface.

We set up camp and waited for a couple late arrivals, who showed up just as dark fell. Introductions, a pleasant fire, good conversation and some satellite watching followed, then bed time for me.

Saturday morning we slept in past daylight. Breakfast was a short affair; then we headed down the canyon so the Wilderness Land Trust folks could get some photos. It narrows and deepens into another one of those places one would love to see in full flood, the water marks are high on the dark canyon walls.

We went as far down canyon as the clock allowed; the WLT folks had to make afternoon flights home.

This is a great little Wilderness and soon a trans-wilderness hike will be legal. I’m thinking it will be a good group hike come November after the snakes go to bed for the winter.

http://newswire.ascribe.org/cgi-bin/behold.pl?ascribeid=20080423.104714&time=11%2028%20PDT&year=2008&public=0

--------------------------

Curmudgeon, this one is "way out west!" Maybe the food afterwards can be in Wickenberg? Or not if anyone knows a good Mexican dive in the NW valley.
evenstar

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Fact is GHOTM should me renamed G(race)of the month. Seems every one's goal is to beat their previous time on the trail. Like Letty said, it's become a group of solo hikers. Some one recently told me that we never go off and leave some one without some one dropping back to check on them. Anniversary gig of two years ago, Linda Beckett and I got lost and what was advertised as an easy 5 miler turned into an 8+ miler for us. When we got back to camp was anybody out looking for us? NO! Had anybody fallen back on the trail to find us? NO! Several years ago a friend of Stan's was left quite away behind, fell and had numerous cuts on knees, and face including a split lip. Had the "Group" not stopped for a short rest and Todd's good hearing heard her yelling for help, we'd eventually, I think, started back to find her. Life threatening? NO! But could have been
Basically AZH is a site for younger members, Stan at 59 being the oldest after me as part of the regular hiking group. I gotta tell ya, those 12 years, as you ll will find out, make a huge difference.
My first hike in the Canyon was a day trip to Plateau Point. I couldn't do that hike today; with 4 to 5 months to get in shape for it, yes.....but would I enjoy it as I did the first time? NO! I'd be too fatigued to give a porridge.
Most of the hikes these days are beyond my capabilities and/or too far away.
So, I've had my say and think it's time to leave AZH to the younger folks and jut get hell outta the way. Fact is, I can no longer keep up with the pack and don't like being left behind in case something happens to Rich or me.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Woo Hoo Todd! Thanks for setting up the thread.

Put me down for October for Granite Mountain in Prescott.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

deleted
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Fact is GHOTM should me renamed G(race)of the month. Seems every one's goal is to beat their previous time on the trail.

That's why you guys need to branch out and quit doing the same hikes every year. Then there will be no time to beat. I used to be like that. The quicker the better. Then I finally woke up and realized "Hey! I like being out here. Why am I in such a hurry to get done with this hike?"

evenstar wrote:
Anniversary gig of two years ago, Linda Beckett and I got lost and what was advertised as an easy 5 miler turned into an 8+ miler for us. When we got back to camp was anybody out looking for us? NO! Had anybody fallen back on the trail to find us? NO!

I guess the simple solution to this type of problem is to lead your own GHOTM. Then you'll know exactly what you're getting into.

evenstar wrote:
Basically AZH is a site for younger members,
So, I've had my say and think it's time to leave AZH to the younger folks and just get the hell outta the way.

What do you mean "younger?" Relatively younger, like 40 or 50, or younger like 20? Because even though there is occasionally some good info on this site and I've met some great people through this site, it's not for the younger crowd. If it was, we'd be talking about where we're going to go get a beer after the hike, instead of who's bringing veggies and dip. We'd be talking about exciting new hikes instead of doing the Ridgeline for the millionth time. And we'd realize that there is more than one weekend in a month, so it's possible to go to Ash Creek and the Ridgeline in November!

I'm sure I've just stepped on a whole bunch of toes. But you guys have got a great thing going on here; so I would love to see you all embrace it and enjoy it instead of complaining about it.
Shawn

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt Hoffman wrote:
. . . you guys have got a great thing going on here; so I would love to see you all embrace it and enjoy it instead of complaining about it.

Aa aa men, AA AA AMEN, AA AA AA AA AA AA AA AAMEN!
All to the right music of course.

There's no reason we can't have a Great Amble of the Month, if someone wants to set it up, sounds like there are folks interested, may even get some newbies who want to test the waters and are concerned abou the pace. When I hiked with the Sierra Club, new folks showd up for the "C" hikes.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mazatzal Divide Trail ~28 miles backpack with Shuttle ? This is an AZT section as well I think!
Deer Creek loop hike 15 miles Backpack or Day hike ....
I think I will do something in this area this coming year.

What will be a good month for Mazatzals ? Any beta on water on the divide trail ? Is this a backpack worthy area or is it better suited for dayhiking ?

Just keep 2009 GHOTM candidate in one place - Page Rob proposed a Petrified Desert Hike for Oct or Nov.
Rob -- How about Hackberry hike ?
Shawn

PostPosted: 12/17/2008, 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

"Mazatzal Divide Trail ~28 miles backpack with Shuttle ? This is an AZT section as well I think! "

YES! Great Idea! I think any time is good, depending on one's tolerance for cold. Have to watch the snow level, but that's not usually an issue. Is there a three day weekend in Feb? This is a great idea for a group of solo hikers (GSH) event. I can get water info, there is water up there especially in the spring and this rain greatly improves the chances.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: