ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Prescott Hiking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisbench

PostPosted: 1/11/2003, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Prescott Hiking Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was wondering how much hiking everyone does in that area. My fiance and I are going to be buying a house this summer probably in the Surprise area, which will put us about 1 1/2 hours from there. Are there a lot of good trails? I went to the Prescott National forest web site and got some good info, but just wanted some info from real people. Any thoughts or comments are wanted. Thanks!
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/11/2003, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Granite Mountain Trail is a great hike. Also check out the Groom Creek Loop and the Isabella Trails. There are some nice hikes around Lynx Lake. And head toward Jerome to check out the Woodchute Trail, which starts at the Potato Patch Campground above Jerome.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is Hank (sometimes Hnak) a member of thisa group? He knows everything about hikes around Prescott.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

He is, registered as "Hnak".
ck1

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
The Granite Mountain Trail is a great hike..

I second that, as would Sande! But watch out for the angry Mohave rattler just past the saddle, on the trail near the BIG tree. He owns that section of trail!

Thumb Butte is an often hiked trail near Prescott, a good portion of it is paved, but the views are great, and it certainly would be an excellent workout if done regularly...

"The Journey is the Destination"
dennisbench

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds cool, once I move I will be almost as close driving time wise to Prescott, as I would be driving through the city to the supes, give or take 10-15 minutes.
Hnak

PostPosted: 1/16/2003, 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

maryphyl wrote:
Is Hank (sometimes Hnak) a member of thisa group? He knows everything about hikes around Prescott.

Methinks you exaggerate.... I've done some hiking around Prescott (my home for the last 32 years), but I still head for the Canyon whenever I can... However, as has been posted before, the Granite Mountain trail is lots of fun. I've never seen that rattler near the big juniper that was referred to, but I did see a really pretty yellowish-green rattler up on top last year. Thumb Butte is nice, if you're looking for a paved (!) trail.

On nearby Mingus Mountain (partway to Jerome) there are a number of interesting trails also... Definitely nice country! Hank
dennisbench

PostPosted: 1/16/2003, 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think I'm going to do the Groom Creek Loop on Saturday, I saw it in the 100 classic hikes in arizona book, which I checked out of the library. It says it is almost 9 miles, and it looks pretty cool.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Hnak

PostPosted: 1/17/2003, 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think you'll enjoy that hike. When you're at the top, be sure and stroll up to the fire lookout. Great views in all directions, and just before you get to the steps going up the lookout, go through some brush off to your left. Great rocks to sit and ponder upon... Have fun!!
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/17/2003, 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hiked the Isabella Trail this summer. The upper part of the Groom Creek Loop follows the Isabella to the tower. The guy in the tower let us come up for a look inside, which was really cool. You'll love the view at the top! Have a great hike!

PostPosted: 1/17/2003, 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I haven't hiked Thumb Butte in ages. When was it paved? Crying or Very sad
k9hiker

PostPosted: 2/2/2003, 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There isn't snow in Prescott still is there? Anyone know a good hike about 5-8 miles long and accessible by car in the prescott, cottonwood, or camp verde area? (other than the ones already mentioned)
Hnak

PostPosted: 2/3/2003, 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

k9hiker wrote:
There isn't snow in Prescott still is there? Anyone know a good hike about 5-8 miles long and accessible by car in the prescott, cottonwood, or camp verde area? (other than the ones already mentioned)

The snow is all gone... But the weather is great for hiking around here. Other hikes? Hmmm... Aspen Creek is a nice one, out Copper Basin road about 5 miles or so from town. On top of nearby Mingus Mountain, the Woodchute trail is nice, with some great views at the north end of the trail. North of Camp Verde, the trail up along Wet Beaver Creek is relatively easy, but really nice country, and in the summer there are some very nice pools to play in. Lots of choices around here....

Thumb Butte was paved maybe 4 - 5 years ago (I think..), or something like that... Hank
Lizard

PostPosted: 2/3/2003, 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Pine Mountain Wilderness is one of my favorite hikes in the area. You can do a dayhike (~8 miles I believe) or an overnight depending on the trails you take. Nelson Place, at the entrance to the wilderness, has a resident black bear which I have bumped into. Someone had a fantastic picture of that bear up on the old site.
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: